My Hockey Rankings and MidAm there needs to be a change

I just discovered this site and it looks to be a good forum for this discussion. I had reason at the end of this past season to dig deeply into how MidAm uses the myhockeyrankings website and what I discovered was MidAm had no idea how the site worked. What I mean by that is they didn't know how the math worked and they didn't realize that teams with the same rating are ranked differently because myhockeyrankings then reverts to alphabetical order. That's right a team from Alabama with the same rating as a team from Pittsburgh would be ranked higher because A comes before P.

MidAm uses this site as the sole benchmark for the end of the season district tournaments. Does anyone else think this needs to be changed? 

How many ties are there in reality?  Then how many of those ties actually impact seeding?  I have no idea the answer but I would think it was pretty rare and ties could be solved by a coin flip. I don't see a better system than myhockeyrankings being created and I have generally found it to be pretty accurate assuming all of a teams games are actually reported. 

56 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

How many ties are there in reality?  Then how many of those ties actually impact seeding?  I have no idea the answer but I would think it was pretty rare and ties could be solved by a coin flip. I don't see a better system than myhockeyrankings being created and I have generally found it to be pretty accurate assuming all of a teams games are actually reported. 

games being reported accurately is the biggest issue.  i know for sure some teams won't post some games, especially ones they have lost.. overall i think the site is a great benchmark, and lets face it nothing is going to be 100% accurate...

I'm pretty sure Mid Am would take the team from Pittsburgh.  Alabama being out of district and all.

MHR is a pretty reliable resource for comparing teams.  The only teams I know that hide games from MHR are the ones who have a chance to get to #1 in their class.

It is is a good benchmark. As a matter of fact it was built to help my hockey tournaments put together tournaments with more parity. The problem is it is relied upon as though it was accurate past whole numbers. So if you are making decisions down to the 1/100 then you have a problem. This is where the accuracy problems comes into play. If you have a team that is a 95.34 and a team that is a 95.30 and this is only measure, you have a done a disservice to accuracy. As someone already mentioned teams do not report all of their games. Then there is fact that the numbers of games played is crucial. Because if you comparing teams to make the numbers a true comparison you need the numbers of games to be the same as well. Otherwise you comparing averages. He is the kicker. If a tournament team plays a full season team their numbers stay in the calculation even though the tournament team may never have enough games to actually show up on the ranking. I will say this tends to be a bigger problem in AAA because not all of the teams in the district play each other. Which should be a requirement.