NHL Draft

Did anyone notice of the 59 American players that were chosen in this years NHL draft, only one player from PA was selected?  One?

The hockey hotbed that is Orange County, CA had three........the state the size of all Primanti Bros. restaurants combined - RI had the same as PA.

Chum is now in the water.  Commence feeding.  

i believe the player you are mentioning is Cade Webber of Meadville.  He was a 4th round draft pick of Carolina. He did play for the Pens Elite for several years but spent the past couple of years in a NE prep school. So can W. PA even claim him? Regardless. Congrats to Cade and good luck at BU.

1 hour ago, The King said:

USA Hockey has begun the systematic elimination of any high level development out of the reach of their greedy hands via the new SafeSport and sportsmanship initiatives. It’s not dissimilar to how Allegheny County has attempted to eliminate the small contractor by way of their contractor licensing practices. What began as a necessary and immediate response to serial abuse has become a method of control for Colorado. Talk to anyone that has a clue in this area and they will tell you how these initiatives will sooner, rather than later, drive the remaining qualified and motivated coaches out of the sport. The coaching ranks are under attack by out of touch and elitist parents and administrators who can’t cede control of their children for the 2 hours they require to teach the players. USA Hockey has seized the day by ensuring that the talent they deem worthy will be channeled through avenues they control. Money, power, and influence are the motivating factors here. Think about it, if you are a USA Hockey admin in any capacity, you have had a very easy life doing very little work and the bit you did, you love. Then you see an increasing number of American born NHL draft picks who credit everyone but the National Governing body of the sport and paid everyone but said body to get them there. You start to wonder why. Theres a reason Kehller was on TV beaming at the 1st 7 Americans off the board. What program did they come from? Who gets promoted by every national TV outlet? Are there only 25 NHL quality players in the US? 

Now, back to the plan to eliminate the competition. If you make it impossible for any coach to do their job the right way by keeping them under constant scrutiny and legal action by the general public, you’ve basically narrowed the coaching competition to the ones under Colorado’s immediate control. They’ve put parents the peers of the coaches by way of their SafeSport and Sportsmanship initiatives.

So for an area like Pittsburgh, who is short on competent and motivated coaches as it is, and who’s parent situation is one of the worst in the nation, you can get used to a major drop off in any NHL talent coming out of this cesspool

I think the family of Alex Turcotte, the #5 pick of this years draft has a different opinion of USA Hockey than yours. 

247DEF24-DB0D-4B90-B3C9-22B3E7DB4741.jpeg

Edited by fafa fohi

1 hour ago, The King said:

Ok, in the words of Moe Howard, I’ll try to explain this so even you can understand it Grapehead. Who promoted this quote? Who forces ADM down everyone’s throat? My point is that, USA Hockey is wanting to make sure that any player like Turcotte goes through programs that THEY control and THEY have influence over. Do you see anyone from the USNTP pushing the NAHL, USPHL, or anyone besides USHL affiliates? No it’s because they don’t control the programs and they don’t have a financial stake in it. If a player comes out of any program in WPA, they will have had to go through the USHL or it’s “affiliates” to have a sniff of promotion from Colorado from now on. Remember I said it. Stay in your lane @fafa fohi

Aww, how cute. “Grapehead”....you just can’t help yourself by insulting me and others when it comes to challenging anything you say.  I provided an actual quote, not opinion or conjecture and this is your comeback?   If there is a dissenting opinion different from yours you immediately get on your soap box, insult others and insist you are right.   Have you ever thought about just accepting the fact everyone doesn’t agree with you and move on?

“Stay in your lane”...........at least you are good for some laughs in between your anger management med treatments. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The King said:

Try reading the informed and experienced post I made. Try real hard to understand it. Then ask around to some people that have actually experienced the game at a level other than watching their kids play and critiquing the decision makers from a distance. You don’t see anything other than an insult because you don’t have the experience to understand the depth of the post. Be grateful I brought some interest to your otherwise bland and sad thread. Understand, cutting and pasting USA Hockey propaganda will never impress me or anyone that fights for the dying art of developing amateur athletes. You feed the beast by emptying your pockets to rink owners, celebrity camp administrators and friends of your favorite pro athletes. Lots of folks in this area still use the sport as a vehicle to participate in the lost art of human development in the form of amateur coaching. They don’t make a living off fools and they certainly don’t encourage this gross and obscene abuse of human nature that’s become the culture that supports sportsmanship initiatives and sensitivity training. The same people that love hearing a trainer tell them their kid is the next big thing is the same one that crumbles when he’s the butt of a quoted 3 Stooges joke. Again, stay in your lane and learn something.

"Hockey propaganda" - now you have gone full Trump.  I see a lot of similarities between you and him - keyboard warrior, always right even when facts stare you in the face, thinks you are smarter than anyone else in the room.  SNAP!  I will take the word from a family that went through the process and had a kid drafted 5th, rather than angry dad who has admittedly not have one single kid play hockey in western PA.  

I never knew diarrhea could actually come out of a persons mouth then transformed into words on a thread, as I thought it was medically impossible - congrats for proving me wrong.  

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...........

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Your filibustering does nothing other than make me laugh.  Wake me when it's over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The King said:

Try reading the informed and experienced post I made. Try real hard to understand it. Then ask around to some people that have actually experienced the game at a level other than watching their kids play and critiquing the decision makers from a distance. You don’t see anything other than an insult because you don’t have the experience to understand the depth of the post. Be grateful I brought some interest to your otherwise bland and sad thread. Understand, cutting and pasting USA Hockey propaganda will never impress me or anyone that fights for the dying art of developing amateur athletes. You feed the beast by emptying your pockets to rink owners, celebrity camp administrators and friends of your favorite pro athletes. Lots of folks in this area still use the sport as a vehicle to participate in the lost art of human development in the form of amateur coaching. They don’t make a living off fools and they certainly don’t encourage this gross and obscene abuse of human nature that’s become the culture that supports sportsmanship initiatives and sensitivity training. The same people that love hearing a trainer tell them their kid is the next big thing is the same one that crumbles when he’s the butt of a quoted 3 Stooges joke. Again, stay in your lane and learn something.

King is definitely right here.  USA Hockey is a propaganda machine and spews out this kind of stuff all of the time.  Explain to be too how the ADM, which is geared primarily  toward the development at the Mite level, but has practice plan ideas for Squirt and above helped Turcotte after his 12U season?  Also, the direct quote says that after he was "taken into the program" he fell in love again.  Well of course he did since he was in the National Program.  Its not like he had a coach he didn't like and went to another amateur organization and found ADM.

Each year is making it harder and harder for even regular everyday dads to be a coach.  Just look at the fact that now SafeSport trainings have to be done yearly as opposed to every other year.  What does that solve?  Is someone going to forget in the off-year from watching those hours of videos?  And as we all know, just because you watched videos, it doesn't make you a good person or prevent you from a future crime.

Add too all of these rules now being forced on officials, and the way they want them to call them (banging the boards) and you are going to see fewer officials not wanting to jump through the hoops.

And lets not forget limiting players with an example of MidAm placing the 2007 player rule for Middle School limiting the number of kids that can participate there.

We all complain about those that chase the extra 'A' and what it is doing to AA hockey and further down to the house level.  In my opinion, USA Hockey is doing the exact same thing where these rules and regulations just further limit those that can play and volunteer.

• Like 2

I have to go with King on this one as well.  His post was spot on. 

While it is nice that one person credited USA Hockey, it is still just one.  I am so glad that my kid is now out of this mess.  For me it started when they moved checking from Peewees to Bantams.  They younger you get them playing contact, the earlier you can teach them the right was and the responsible way to initiate contact.  For me it was a bad move.  Now with this years resolution there are even more useless rules.

If anyone saw the draft coverage when they interviewed Bill Daly then you saw him basically sum all of this up. He talked about the huge investment that the NHL undertook in USA hockey roughly ten years ago and how that has lead to what we saw this past weekend as far as the number of US players drafted in general and the NTP players in particular. What he didn't say but anyone can figure out is that this also means the NHL owns USA hockey. Not on paper, but they own them by telling them exactly how things will play out and how their amateur programs will do whatever they want whenever they want. This is the case in Buffalo, is slowly happening in Detroit (Little Caesar's) and well we all know first hand how it works here. I think Minnesota is probably the last bastion where hockey is still mostly non-corrupt.

23 minutes ago, The King said:

You can thank me later for making this little mans thread into something interesting. 

Aww, so so cute.  You get off by “likes” and people agreeing with you.  

Being a pompous ass towards others doesn’t make a thread more interesting - genuine thought does.  You make some valid points, unfortunately it sometimes gets lost in your hostility and constant marveling at yourself.

i would hate to see the mirrors in your home, all crusted with a glaze-type substance.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1