Maybe one of pgh’s biggest money grabs

50 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

I heard Preds AAA is $3800

$1000 Slush Fund

$1000 to Coach

$300 for Paramedics 

$300 for Gym

$900 for Uniforms Helmet and Gloves.

Isn’t it on the predators website? What’s the point of you being upset about the cost? If you didn’t want your kid to play, don’t complain an bout the price ?

Can you list the other fees for every team in western pa?

I’m sure the Foxes Pw7 team is the best price for your budget. 

1 hour ago, PeterThePuck said:

$1000 Slush Fund

$1000 to Coach

$300 for Paramedics 

$300 for Gym

Scir birth year isn’t too far below the $3800 

2 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

$1000 Slush Fund

$1000 to Coach

$300 for Paramedics 

$300 for Gym

Are you saying $3800 plus the other funds ? I’m sure the 16’s will cost more. It’s probably the best team they have ever had there. I’ll get to 16s & 18’s cost down below. 

Using your math it’s $6500 with out travel fees ? 

I wouldn't doubt that is the price. I was under the assumption all their “aaa” teams are $2800 plus all the other fee’s 

esmark is normally in the $4000-$5000 range depending on birth year. I don’t know what icemen are but was told last year’s 16s were around $4500. PPE was in the $6000 range but they have switched leagues. I’m not really surprised if predators 16 & 18 are $6500. This is just team fee’s not travel costs listed above for the others. 

Just a fyi for the younger hockey parents,  the cost of “AAA” gets higher and higher as the player gets older. There’s really no justification for it, just the way it is. Ice time nor  the amount of games seem to really change much. 

AAA hockey on the east coast and north east is close to $10000 with out travel. I’m sure Pittsburgh will soon figure that out and continue to raise fees (profit). 

Edited by whome87

9 minutes ago, whome87 said:

There’s really no justification for it

I can see some reasons for the progressive increase.  Ice time for 16u is usually 90-100 minutes vs 75-80 for a game slot.  Refs cost more because you need guys who can actually keep up and control the game and sometimes you need 3 or 4 of them.  EMT if required charges more since he's there longer.  And of course there's the paid coach.  You need someone skilled enough to train these kids and the pool of eligible candidates shrinks as the kids grow up.

Now does that add up to $6k?  Probably no.

57 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

I can see some reasons for the progressive increase.  Ice time for 16u is usually 90-100 minutes vs 75-80 for a game slot.  Refs cost more because you need guys who can actually keep up and control the game and sometimes you need 3 or 4 of them.  EMT if required charges more since he's there longer.  And of course there's the paid coach.  You need someone skilled enough to train these kids and the pool of eligible candidates shrinks as the kids grow up.

Now does that add up to $6k?  Probably no.

15,16,18 all normally play 20 minute periods with 1 ice cut. There are Some teams I’ve seen in the past that  only do 17 minute periods. Regardless, that doesn’t justify much of anything for costs. 

All “aaa” teams usually have a paid coach. Personally I’ve never been apart of one that didn’t. 

Refs are different state to state. Club to club. It’s all over the place. I’ve watched games that have had 1 ref 2 liners. 2 refs 2 liners, 2 refs no liners. 

None of it really justify’s the price going up $1500-$2000 each birth year after 14U. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:59 PM, whome87 said:

Was at the ol’ ice castle today, I may have found the biggest money grab team in pgh history!!!!! Along with the biggest group of extra “A” (with this team maybe two extra “A’s”) wanna be parents!!

the U15 (2004) “AAA” pgh predators! What a train wreck! This team would be hard pressed to play with a pw AA team. Players that can’t skate, can’t shot, can’t pass & I’m talking about every kid on the ice! The speed was also extremely slow. 

While talking with a parent on the team, I ask about their fee’s. Mind blown! Outside of the normal predator fee’s, team fund, etc each family has to pay a $800 coaching fee to Gary and $300 gym membership! They could not get on the ice this week for “camp” unless that money was first payed, a parent forgot his checkbook the first day and had to hurry to have his wife rush CASH down. 

Did your future Sidney Crosby not make the team? Don’t think you could be anymore wrong about this team. Truly it’s a lot of money to pay out but isn’t that the same with ALL AAA teams. They have a very solid team with speed, besides maybe 2 kids. They have GREAT goaltending and should compete. As long as they learn, and I think Gary is more than capable of teaching, that’s all that should matter!

27 minutes ago, Cmcc45 said:

Another one of the parents I suppose. Why don’t you read the entire thread. We’ve discussed this at length. This one sounds like a mom! 

The original intent of the post was to show what a true money grab is. That term gets tossed around everyday. 

Your team is the definition of a money grab. 

2 hours ago, whome87 said:

Another one of the parents I suppose. Why don’t you read the entire thread. We’ve discussed this at length. This one sounds like a mom! 

The original intent of the post was to show what a true money grab is. That term gets tossed around everyday. 

Your team is the definition of a money grab. 

No interest to the team, have watched pretty much the whole team play through the past few years against my child, talented group of kids!

33 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

$500 first hit there will be another $500 coming down the pike second half of the year. Total $1000

We shall see since I’m the manager. But I spent 800 in AA last year so not sure why that’s relevant to the post!! I’m sure all Slush Funds AA - AAA pay roughly the same.

3 hours ago, jmmartinprov1 said:

We shall see since I’m the manager. But I spent 800 in AA last year so not sure why that’s relevant to the post!! I’m sure all Slush Funds AA - AAA pay roughly the same.

Who the heck did your Lebo team play ??with 18 skaters & two goalies your team fund was $800 ? Did you guys play 80 games ? 

From my experience AA & AAA team funds are usually in the $300 - 500 range but I haven’t had to pay that recently might have gone up a little. 

12 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

It could be worse, they could be paying to travel to Tartarstan to play a Russian team like the Esmark U16. 

That was optional, not mandatory. Look at the roster posted in pgh hockey digest. It’s not the 16s. It’s also kids from the 18s for a combined team.

Personally, no way would I take that trip, not just because the cost. 

3 minutes ago, whome87 said:

Sure thing MOM

whome87 what’s your real name? Where’s your kid play ACHA? Let’s see how all this great knowledge and hockey smarts helped your kid. Why do all these people hide behind a computers talking smack on 15 year olds? Does this make you feel good about yourself? Why do you even care about something that you have no business sticking your nose in? The only uneducated person on this thread is one that was at an ice rink for no reason at 6:30am to cause problems!! 

9 minutes ago, whome87 said:

Who the heck did your Lebo team play ??with 18 skaters & two goalies your team fund was $800 ? Did you guys play 80 games ? 

From my experience AA & AAA team funds are usually in the $300 - 500 range but I haven’t had to pay that recently might have gone up a little. 

300-500 That’s funny maybe 20

years ago. I paid 300 in mights and $500 when were at PPE as a squirt. The Lebo team were in Chigaco, Port Huron, Dayton, Buffalo, Notre Dame not to mention fees for independent games. We played 62 or 63 games.  Tournament Fees are 18-2200. Again I ask why do you even care? You have to be grinding an axe because you are obviously pissed about something.

Edited by jmmartinprov1

7 minutes ago, jmmartinprov1 said:

whome87 what’s your real name? Where’s your kid play ACHA? Let’s see how all this great knowledge and hockey smarts helped your kid. Why do all these people hide behind a computers talking smack on 15 year olds? Does this make you feel good about yourself? Why do you even care about something that you have no business sticking your nose in? The only uneducated person on this thread is one that was at an ice rink for no reason at 6:30am to cause problems!! 

Cry me a river. You are the only dumba$$ that uses their identity on this site. 

My eldest son was skating, getting ready for the season with a private instructor, it wasn’t 630am but it was before your team took the ice. It was before they banned everyone and anyone from entering camp, after I created this thread. 

Again, the purpose of this thread was to show what a real money grab is since the term is used very loosely around here. 

If you didn’t notice this thread has morphed into other things about hockey but you and your extra two A parents keep coming back for more! 

Why are you so triggered because I called out one of your mom’s now ? Did you have to ask her to join and support the cause ? 

I don’t hide behind an identity like you are. I have no idea who posted that. I never knew about this site until someone told me about it. You are still the p$&@) who hides behind a screen name. Why did I use my real name because I could give 2 F$&$’s about a guy who says this and says that but offers no real evidence because no one knows who you are. Good for you for getting your son skating lessons so he can make a better team maybe. Maybe you should stick to your A Major Black and tell stories of grandeur about this fictional son that plays ACHA D1 because you refuse to say who you are! 

Again why I even bother with complete tool bags like you is beyond me!

✌️

Edited by jmmartinprov1