Fun with the Rankings

Where most local teams are just getting started, the Armstrong Arrows 16u squad has reported no less than 10 (ten) games before the end of the first week of September.

At this rate, these kids are on pace to have 50 games in by Christmas and stand a real chance at hitting 80 by the end of the season, maybe 90 with a deep playoff run.  They're true Grinders, I tell ya! 

8 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Where most local teams are just getting started, the Armstrong Arrows 16u squad has reported no less than 10 (ten) games before the end of the first week of September.

At this rate, these kids are on pace to have 50 games in by Christmas and stand a real chance at hitting 80 by the end of the season, maybe 90 with a deep playoff run.  They're true Grinders, I tell ya! 

On the opposite side of the spectrum there are local teams that haven’t played a single game yet - no placement games nor scrimmages and won’t play until this coming weekend or the next. When my two sons played both had at least a scrimmage or two before placement games as an act of preparation. 

However, ten games into the season sounds excessive to me. 

31 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Anyone with some insight on the U18 level, particularly AA?  Now that my youngest is no longer playing I’m curious as to who appears to be the strength of the division. 

Preds have 2 decent AA teams but Icemen is gonna run away with states 

1 hour ago, Jjinson said:

Preds have 2 decent AA teams but Icemen is gonna run away with states 

I wouldn’t go that far.  Preds 405 beat NP #1, 9-1.  NP’s goal didn’t even go in the net.  (Video to prove!)

Icemen will have their hands full with Preds.  I think they are scheduled to play 3-4 times.  Time will tell!  As for Icemen being elite, ?.

@Scooby Doo why did you delete your comment?  Second thoughts or who slapped your wrists?

Yes, the Allegheny/Preds game was competitive.  The end was very interesting.  Both teams had a lot of PIM.  Referees were too much a part of that game.  Curfewed by 4+ game minutes.  Ridiculous!   Pretty sure Allegheny plays the same NP team this weekend.  Good Luck!

11 hours ago, OrrWhat said:

@Scooby Doo why did you delete your comment?  Second thoughts or who slapped your wrists?

Yes, the Allegheny/Preds game was competitive.  The end was very interesting.  Both teams had a lot of PIM.  Referees were too much a part of that game.  Curfewed by 4+ game minutes.  Ridiculous!   Pretty sure Allegheny plays the same NP team this weekend.  Good Luck!

@OrrWhat Reposted it below...

Allegheny #227 and Preds #405 tied 5-5 in an 18uAA placement game.  Allegheny dominated the third period (almost entire period played in Preds end) and the game was shortened a due to curfew.  Allegheny was missing 3 forwards and played with alternate lines due to the players missing.  Preds outshot AHA (mainly due to a lot of PP time) by a dozen.  Preds goalie 19/24 (.716), AHA goalie 31/36 (.861).

The game was very competitive and exciting to watch.

Edited by Scooby Doo

@OrrWhat

The officiating was HORRIBLE.  The female ref skated over to the AHA parents and yelled a derogatory comment about the team, right to the parents from the ice - at the AHA home rink!  Never heard a ref do that.

For some reason the game was scheduled for an 80 minute slot, and if it wasn't for the refs calling a boat load of penalties and repeatedly delaying play the game could have been fit in.  That would have been a crazy last 4 minutes as AHA was really bringing it in the 3rd.  AHA outscored Preds 2-0 in the 3rd.

Allegheny plays NP #1 on 9/15.

Preds and AHA look like the real deal at 18uAA.  That was a heavyweight battle for sure.

NP obviously not as good as advertised.

Foxes 1 are in group 2 and were beat 6-0 by AHA.

There are other teams (Huskies, etc.) that are in placement group 1 will have a rough season trying to compete against the upper 18uAA teams unless there is a meltdown.

20 hours ago, OrrWhat said:

I wouldn’t go that far.  Preds 405 beat NP #1, 9-1.  NP’s goal didn’t even go in the net.  (Video to prove!)

Icemen will have their hands full with Preds.  I think they are scheduled to play 3-4 times.  Time will tell!  As for Icemen being elite, ?.

Where was the NP/Preds game played on 9/1?  I checked livebarn and there were practices during the scheduled game 320pm slot at Baierl.

4 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

@OrrWhat

The officiating was HORRIBLE.  The female ref skated over to the AHA parents and yelled a derogatory comment about the team, right to the parents from the ice - at the AHA home rink!  Never heard a ref do that.

That's what you receive when you turn your referee scheduling over to the for-profit entity known as PIHO. If it's who I assume it is, she's way out of her element in anything beyond 12U.

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

That's what you receive when you turn your referee scheduling over to the for-profit entity known as PIHO. If it's who I assume it is, she's way out of her element in anything beyond 12U.

Yes, fully agree.  With no disrespect towards female refs, she’s not qualified to work anything over 12u, certainly not 18uAA.  It’s a real shame that there’s not more good refs out there.  
In her case yelling at the home teams parents in the first game of the season, when that’s the rink you’re based out of is a really bad start to the season.

@Scooby Doo Game was NP at Preds!

AHA/Preds game was a stupid good battle.  Female ref was totally out of her league.  So the question for 18U AA is, will there be another heavyweight?  Other Preds team, SHAHA???  Can’t imagine the Huskies or Cambria being strong.  Could be wrong???

Preds (all 02’s with exception of 1-2 players) played Cheektowaga (National U16 Champs with the exception of 2-3 players) twice.  Winning one and loosing one.  They play again in Buffalo this weekend.

5 hours ago, Jjinson said:

Most of the Icemen 2 team left to play for preds, and then most of the 1 team stayed to play Icemen. 

Not true, 18U Icemen team is a mix of team one & team two from last season. Plus a few new players.  Not a full roster yet.  Most (not all) of the stronger kids left from the Nationals team.  Icemen are playing AA this season.  MidAm’s at the 18AA level will be very competitive this season. 

1 hour ago, OrrWhat said:

@Scooby Doo Game was NP at Preds!

AHA/Preds game was a stupid good battle.  Female ref was totally out of her league.  So the question for 18U AA is, will there be another heavyweight?  Other Preds team, SHAHA???  Can’t imagine the Huskies or Cambria being strong.  Could be wrong???

Of course the Pahl schedule had that game reversed in location. 

at this early point it seems like there will be 2 levels of AA, preds 1 and Aha 1, then the rest.  We will see how the placements pan out but probably not a good season to be placed at 18uAA if you’re an average team.

LOTS of time before midams... who knows what will happen, injuries, players jumping ship before 12/31... Way too early to pencil in anyone as an automatic winner.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, Jack Handey said:

Class act beating a team 20-2. 

6FEE20DE-194B-4ECE-BB14-61452D526F51.jpeg

That score should never happen and you’re right not much class there.  If it’s that bad go to all passes and keep away and kill the clock. That’s probably the worst score I’ve ever heard in many years of youth hockey.

• 3 weeks later...