Does anyone know WTF is going on with these new rules that they are using in the St Margaret's Tournament?

2.Icing Infractions:Icing situations shall be initiated only from a team’s defensive zone, making the defensive blue line the delineation for icing (instead of the center red line).Icing shall only be waived if the initiating team is shorthanded, if the puck first makes contact with a non-offending player, if the puck does not cross the far goal line, and/or if the puck goes into the opposing net. Icing shall not be waived based on a determination by an on-ice official that a non-offending player could have touched the puck prior to the completion of the icing scenario.

3.Neutral-Zone Face-Offs:All face-offs prescribed by the playing rules to take place in the neutral zone shall be conducted only at the center-ice face-off dot. As such, only the 5 face-off circles on the ice surface shall be used for face-offs

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So Bethel Park won the tournament. Any body care to comment on the games.  Are BP & CM for real?  Looked like CM played close games in almost every round.  I was a bit surprised by Central Catholic. Thought they would do better. All in all it seemed like a pretty good group of teams.

The PIHL website is a disaster and never updates regularly.  I guess more of the same for 2019-20 as I had to go elsewhere to find out who actually won the tournament.  

• Like 3

The lack of information from the PIHL and PAHL is unbelievable.  I should also add the same for probably 80 percent of the organizations in the PAHL.  I don't understand why the PAHL hides all of the game info. They have the capability to give the kids recognition but choose to hide it all.  At least the PIHL shows game stats and rosters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

The lack of information from the PIHL and PAHL is unbelievable.  I should also add the same for probably 80 percent of the organizations in the PAHL.  I don't understand why the PAHL hides all of the game info. They have the capability to give the kids recognition but choose to hide it all.  At least the PIHL shows game stats and rosters.

I have no idea why the information is not available, but do we really need the stats of kids? Why do they need 'recognition' beyond teammates and family? Privacy concerns, too. That could lead to chasing individual stats over team, and goes against the idea that this is meant to be developmental. High school is different, stakes rise a bit more then. What if it added to the unofficial recruiting we all know goes on? I just don't see the need. Who cares if you were the leading goal scorer in PAHL at age ten?

Let's not make it more serious than people already do.

Let me know when trading cards and stats of the mites are available.

I had the misfortune a long time ago to be a house league commisioner for a squirt and peewee division.  I took the job because my kid was older and no longer played house league and a friend of mine ran the league and needed the help.  I thought it would be a good idea to update the website to contain all kinds of stats (individual, team and game stats).  This was a huge mistake!  I spent 80% of my time handling emails and phones call from hockey parents telling me that little johnny had 2 assists in a game and did not get credit for it, or little Bobby had more than 15 shots on goal against him and his save percentage was wrong.  I tried to tell the parents that the stats on the website came from the game scoresheets, and that was what the refs had called.

I also had gotten the mic working at the rink and had people who would announce the goals and assists.  So, then the parents started walking around the ice to bother the scorekeepers after a goal to tell them that little johnny had that goal and not the other kid.  The scorekeepers told them they announced what the refs called, then the parents started to try to get the refs to make the changes during game stoppages!  Myself, the scorekeepers, announcer and refs were all getting stopped after the game while the parents were trying to get us to add stuff to the scoresheets.  I even had parents wanting copies of the sheets, so they could compare it to what was on the website.

I finally had to pull the plug on the announcer and take the stats off the website because it just became too big of a hassel.

Do yourselves a favor, don't put stats on the websites.  The parents will ruin it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow, I guess I didn't realize how bad youth hockey has become! Parents that far out of control? How do you guys feel about myhockey rankings?  I read an article about how it came to be and that it's intention is to be able to group teams properly for out of town tournaments!  I am new to all this and must be naive because I did not see the down side to transparency. I have no doubt that the stories told here are true. I do understand that there are no boundaries and kids can try out anywhere which I'm sure leads to competition among organizations for players.  I guess I am kind of a stats geek. That's why I like the myhockey rankings. I like to see who the best teams in Western Pa are. What organizations seem to be doing the best and also how big the organizations are. I also like to listen to you all give your perspectives as to what is good and what is bad about Western Pa hockey. 

I know that tournaments and tournament directors use it to group teams into proper divisions when teams register for tournaments or to make sure that the teams that are entering are registered in a division that fits with the level they've played throughout the season.  For example, not allowing a team that has played all season at A Major enter a tournament at a B level.  Its a tool to help with competitive balance.

My Hockey Rankings is fine because it is team based, not individual stats. 

Parents just can stand to see their little Johnny not at the top of the stats sheets.  One time we had a dad who kept volunteering to keep score and we found out later that he kept adding assists to his kid on the scoresheet.  Also had a team mom gather the scoresheet after every game and do the same thing.

All of this is absolutely true about youth hockey and statistics.

Glossing over the fact that the original comment was that the PIHL can't even give some attention on their website, Twitter feed or Facebook, to a tournament that essentially is the kickoff to their season.

How hard would it have been for them to update these things with current SCORES, forget individual stats??

BurghHockey.com was updating twitter in real-time....nobody from PIHL could do the same?

• Like 2

During the regular PIHL season scoring is entered live and sent directly to site by paid PIHL representatives as long as rink is compliant. They may not be up and running until start of season.

As for My Hockey Rankings, at the older ages they are used for ranking teams for season end Mid Am National Playoffs and are pretty solid on overall basis with the formula that they use.

I once had a goalie mom for the other team who was using a shot counter try to change her kid's shot number on the score sheet. I didn't even think of the crazy parents.

Having kept score quite a few times, the refs get the numbers of the players who got the assist wrong quite a bit, and not infrequently, who actually scored. We are all better off with those stats not being published. And, when team managing, I could sometimes not read the writing or nothing would be marked down.

Myhockey rankings is very good for helping set up tournaments. Some teams do what they can to manipulate their standings I think, inflate their ranking by playing a huge amount of games, not report some games, etc. I still think it works pretty well for what it was intended for.