PAHL Bantam AA Major and AA Minor

They really drop the ball creating AA Major with the BY 04's and AA Minor with BY 05's.

Someone should clue PAHL in the BY 05 Renegades and BY 05 MT. Lebo players left those two teams. Both are A Major Black Bantam teams trying to play up to AA Minor.

PAHL should have left the format alone.

8 hours ago, Loach said:

I'm curious how this Bantam birth year separation works this year.  How many all-05 teams in the area?

Pens Elite, Pens Black, Preds, Icemen, Renegades, Hornets, Rink Rats, Foxes, Renegades, Viper Stars

Am I missing anyone?

They know where every kid played the year before. So for this division, BY determines the AA label, not skill. They are allowing teams to have 04s, so long as you are mostly 05s.

And half the teams you mentioned aren't playing PAHL. This is why Western PA can't, at least in most of these birth years, (2005 is a low birth year) do this. Not enough AA talent left in PAHL to do it properly.

Why do this only in Bantam and for a low BY? Makes 0 sense.

18 hours ago, Loach said:

I'm curious how this Bantam birth year separation works this year.  How many all-05 teams in the area?

Pens Elite, Pens Black, Preds, Icemen, Renegades, Hornets, Rink Rats, Foxes, Renegades, Viper Stars

Am I missing anyone?

I think Shaha and aha have them tooth 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, Loach said:

Am I missing anyone?

Heard Allegheny Badgers have one too but not certain. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Looking at the AA Minor standings, it appears the death knell of the SCIR team were a bit premature. It's also interesting to see Westmoreland quietly sitting there was just one loss. Still a lot of season left to play but the standings thus far are intriguing to say the least.

Also interesting to see Allegheny with one win. Wasn't the push to create this bracket so that they could have a AA team? PAHL seems to be moving away from proper placements to just placing teams where they request. I don't understand the huge divisions in lower levels, either, no way you can make even competition with 16, 17 teams. No wonder teams would rather schedule independently.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, sadday4hockey said:

Looking at the AA Minor standings, it appears the death knell of the SCIR team were a bit premature. It's also interesting to see Westmoreland quietly sitting there was just one loss. Still a lot of season left to play but the standings thus far are intriguing to say the least.

Westmoreland is a mixed 04/05 team. Aren’t the other teams in the AA minor all 2005 birth year teams? 

4 hours ago, Hky05 said:

Westmoreland is a mixed 04/05 team. Aren’t the other teams in the AA minor all 2005 birth year teams? 

I think there are others. There are not enough 05s to make a whole division, so you could field a team so long as you were majority 05s. Made lots of sense.

22 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

https://www.lcahl.org/

https://www.wnyahl.net/page/show/105310-home

It's done that way in both of these leagues. When the numbers begin to dictate that it's feasible, why not do it

But that has been my point, this BY does not have the number of 2005s to make it feasible. Historically, Western PA has not had the numbers to do the BY model right. People look at states like Michigan and Canada, who have a very different hockey landscape than ours and say, we should do it like that. 

To make a minor division this year, they had to have some mixed BY teams in the division. Makes no sense to have done this in this BY, and only this BY.

And should it be just BY, or  BY and similar skill as well? Age over skill?

It was just dumb. The 04s playing in this division, is it good for their development? Or is it better for small organizations to say they have a AA team?

Maybe the numbers are changing to make BY a viable model. But there are few 05s around here, and that is not changing. When the PE black team is recruiting from local AA programs just to fill roster spots, there is not enough local talent in that year.

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

https://www.lcahl.org/

https://www.wnyahl.net/page/show/105310-home

It's done that way in both of these leagues. When the numbers begin to dictate that it's feasible, why not do it?

Let's do it this way and get rid of the 20 different levels PAHL has at each age bracket like A major gold, A Minor Black, Gold, White and B hockey and put those kids into house programs instead of traveling all over for bad hockey. 

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

In years past all the younger teams played down to their level and mommy's and daddy's didn't cry and demand "AA Minor". If they were good enough to hang, then they got to play with the big boys. Silly 

Yeah I still don’t get why it isn’t just called A Major Black. 

20 minutes ago, mrfreeze said:

Let's do it this way and get rid of the 20 different levels PAHL has at each age bracket like A major gold, A Minor Black, Gold, White and B hockey and put those kids into house programs instead of traveling all over for bad hockey. 

Yep, because that’s what those few thousand kids want to do.  Except for Allegheny, the division is very competitive.  Why the fuss?