Return of the Lousy Officiating

Wes

I know that pretty much everywhere is suffering from a lack of refs in general, but here we are 2 placement games done and the officiating was sub-par in both games.  I will not go as far as to say the refs blew the game, but the officiating is so damn inconsistent, from ref to ref, building to building, and call to call.

One headshot in the game is a 2&10.  Next one is a 2.  Next time a few players are scuffling it's 2&10's for both.  Then the next time it's 2.  Can we have some consistency here!!  Is it that damn hard to call a game even? 

Also, why is it that when there is a flurry around the net and the goalie gets whacked several times and/or piled on and his teammates come to his defense and shove the other team away, that the goalie's team always gets penalized.  I swear there is a rule that "the first whacks on a goalie are always free" and when your team defends the goalie - they're penalized.  There's nothing to stop the other team from whacking the goalie repeatedly during each front of the net play unless the refs call the attacking team.

My goodness we're not even into October and the regular season yet but here we go again with the sad state of affairs in officiating.

It's because the ref's think it is all about them and what they think the rules should be, so there is no consistancy.  USA Hockey needs to step in and tell them to enforce the rules as written.  You see it everywhere, not just hockey.  Was watching the MNF game last night and they kicked OBJ off the field on a 3rd and goal, becuase they said he didn't have the correct type of face shield.  2nd game of the season, and they now decide it's not the correct face shield?  Sounds like payback for the wristwatch incident last week.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/odell-beckham-jr-miss-play-helmet-shield-visor-tint/514352

14 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

My goodness we're not even into October and the regular season yet but here we go again with the sad state of affairs in officiating.

I agree, its pretty touch to watch sometimes.  I'm just thankful people are doing it, knowing they are undoubtedly going to take a wrath of you know what from everyone.

1 hour ago, Gilmore Tuttle said:

I agree, its pretty touch to watch sometimes.  I'm just thankful people are doing it, knowing they are undoubtedly going to take a wrath of you know what from everyone.

Agreed, it's not all of them.  But just like everything else, a few bad ones spoil it for all the good ref's out there

28 minutes ago, powderfinger said:

Been involved in four 16U scrimmages/placement games so far and I have to say the officiating has been quite good. Parents have been well behaved as well. It's pretty refreshing actually. A small sample I know, fingers crossed it will last. 

My kids have played two placement games each. One's a U16 and one's a PeeWee. The officiating at both midget games was pretty good, and the PeeWee games were not so good.

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

This is why.

12U is still considered a training age so the schedulers will normally give those anyone with a badge. Plus, the "better" guys won't bother with a $35-40 game.

Obviously, you are referring to tier 2.  Peewee Tier 1, AAA, Elite hockey is a different story.  ?

To be fair to the refs, they weren't exactly give a lot of time to learn about these new "guidelines". On top of that, if you watch USA Hockey's official video about said guidelines, you are often left scratching your head as the examples they show don't match the rule they are talking about.

Unfortunately, it's going to be very inconsistent from game to game.

Edited by powderfinger

Agree, inconsistent at best.  Some care, some don’t care.  Missed calls, calls that should have been let go and calls that needed to be called but weren’t.  Even with the official looking straight at the infraction.  I will say though, from my experience up to now, Pittsburgh isn’t alone.  Suspect refereeing all over the place.  Detroit, Buffalo, DC, Cleveland, Philly, etc. (it’s everywhere)  I’ll also add that it only makes things worse when the players, parents and/or coaches antagonize the officials.  Just play the game and shut up.  If that’s done, the game will be called pretty fair.  As for the calls and no calls, head shots and hits from behind, hopefully they get it right by using the rules from the rulebook.

I think the biggest thing is the inconsistency. I was watching a bantam game, and watched a kid for an entire shift and his stick never once touched the ice. He skated all over the place, stick in the air, had 5 hits, 3 of which were way late.  Nothing dirty, but he never once even attempted played the puck. No penalties called. A couple shifts later, another kid had his stick on the puck and put a shoulder to shoulder hit on a kid that was just text book perfect and he got a penalty. Probably because it was a hard it and a slight size difference made it look worse than it was.  Bottom line is, the kids are confused on what they can and can't do. The worst part is when the 2 refs on the ice call it completely different. The ref that didn't make that call, skated over to the coach and said, "I have no idea what he saw, That was a good check." Then why don't the two refs get together and talk about it?

6 minutes ago, Seejay784 said:

and his stick never once touched the ice. He skated all over the place, stick in the air, had 5 hits, 3 of which were way late. 

My player is on an 18uAA team and the kids are big and they fly around at that level.  The refs pretty much let all late hits go, unless they involve a hit to the head or the player is injured.  I can't tell you the last time I saw a penalty called on a "late hit" -- the times players get hit who release the puck and take a hit 2+ seconds later - while the puck is now nowhere near the hit.

Oh good, we are telling bad Ref stories!

Ok here's one.  My son was playing in a High School game years ago, and the goalie froze the puck under his glove.  The Ref blew the whistle and everyone stopped.  The goalie raised his glove off the ice and the puck was 3/4 of the way across the goal line.  The ref blew his whistle, pointed and said goal.  All the players said but the puck is not all the way across the line.  He replied it didn't have to fully cross the line all it had to was break the plane.  Of course, he was wrong (and was using the rules from the wrong sport).

No amount of arguing from anyone was going to change his mind.  The goal stayed.

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

My player is on an 18uAA team and the kids are big and they fly around at that level.  The refs pretty much let all late hits go, unless they involve a hit to the head or the player is injured.  I can't tell you the last time I saw a penalty called on a "late hit" -- the times players get hit who release the puck and take a hit 2+ seconds later - while the puck is now nowhere near the hit.

Oh, so like a Ryan Reeves hit?

Here's another one.

A player was skating down with the puck on his stick.  The defenseman bodied him up and rubbed him into the boards (not a hit just a rub, and neither player went down).  The Ref blew his whistle and called interference on the defenseman.  When the coach asked for an explaination, the ref replied it was because the defenseman played the body and not the puck.

Isn't that what defenseman are taught to do?  Play the body? ?

Edited by Eddie Shore

Saw this one last week.

Goalie freezes the puck and referee in the corner blows the whistle and starts skating toward the net along the goal line.  After whistle starts, opposing team pokes goalie and the puck goes in the net.  While in stride along the goal line, and still blowing the whistle, the referee then points goal seeing this all happen after he already blew the play dead.

1 hour ago, dropthepuck said:

Isn't that what the new rule mandates? Puck first then body? The whole point of checking is to separate player from puck,  isn't it?  Very confusing. Better get the attack triangles back out for practice's on all levels of hockey 

Yea, but the example I was giving was from 5 years ago.

They won't be happy until they turn it into Roller Hockey

Edited by Eddie Shore

Gratuitous suck up to Ref23....the games I've seen have been called fine, or least with teams getting similar amounts of bad calls so the reffing is not determining the outcome.

I have not seen the new checking rule on playing the puck being applied much at all on three different rinks.