Sam Lafferty

7 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

Christian Gorschak Esmark Stars (Other Tier 1 Programs) 2000 BY just signed with Niagara University Division 1 NCAA 

He played 3 years In the NAHL. He didn’t commit to any NCAA team while playing youth hockey for esmark. 

Great achievement for the kid! Not knocking him at all. He appears have put in the work. My point these younger kids that “commit” to ncaa programs are all from PPE. 

my other point 90% of these kids that “commit” to a ncaa program at the younger ages will most likely never play for those teams. Those programs just have the players rights if they turn out to be something special after a few years of high level junior hockey. It is EXTREMELY  rare an 18 year old makes it onto a ncaa d1 team. 

I read a article last year Penn State alone has 60 “committed” players at the 2002 -2003 birth year. With only 23 skater(?) Spots on a team what’s the chance 5 of those 60 02 & 03’s make the team ? at that point, are they on a full ride ? Probably not. 

Yes, this is something that almost all parents of younger kids really don't understand.  When my kid was younger and playing we would see some older kids get NCAA D1 offers and thought they would actually go there and play (like you see with football).  I can tell you out of 10 kids who were "signed" to D1 schools, only 1 actually played D1 and he was not on a scholarship.  A true NCAA D1 ride is very rare.

Most of the time they commit, then are asked to go play Juniors in Canada either after High School or during it.  They bump around on a few teams and maybe even a few leagues.  Then when they turn 21 they either stop playing or go to college and play ACHA.  Most people don't understand that hockey is different than football and basketball.

16 hours ago, miked said:

more of a complaint about why i see PGH not being as big a hockey town as it could be

You are 100% correct and the biggest obstacle sits at the top of the local food chain. Squash any competition at any cost. Designate players as "Elite" at 7-8 years old. Is this for the good of the sport? Or to fill the coffers?

2 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

You are 100% correct and the biggest obstacle sits at the top of the local food chain. Squash any competition at any cost. Designate players as "Elite" at 7-8 years old. Is this for the good of the sport? Or to fill the coffers?

Very valid! The top of the food chain is there so the pro team doesn’t pay to have a practice rink and to move along certain kids!  see the owner and ceo kids!  Mario is part owner of the ushl team that drafted both of those kids. Mario’s kid couldn’t cut it in the ushl and I highly doubt the other kid will even get there.  

i came across this article

https://myhockeyrankings.com/news.php?b=319

this does a much better job of explaining what i meant by a model like Minnesota. being tied to the schools and community-centric. 

but then i was saddened at the end when they mentioned the encroaching AAA programs. 

something else i found interesting was the talk of respect and lack of after whistle/game shenanigans. just came back from Buffalo where they have instated pre game hand shakes. i was told they were having to many problems in post game hand shake lines.

So if a scrum/fight occurs after the game, does the hockey mom still release the bloodcurdling shriek, "THAT"S A MAJOR!!!!!!"

1 hour ago, miked said:

So if a scrum/fight occurs after the game, does the hockey mom still release the bloodcurdling shriek, "THAT"S A MAJOR!!!!!!"

Without a doubt the best thing I have read here in a long time! 

As a spectator who just sits quietly and watches a game (in 15 years I think I may have yelled at the refs twice).  I am literally the person who gets up and moves from the loud mouth hockey moms.  I am one of those guys who stands down at the end by the boards with the other quiet dads, all of which hate the yelling from the stands.

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie Shore said:

Without a doubt the best thing I have read here in a long time! 

As a spectator who just sits quietly and watches a game (in 15 years I think I may have yelled at the refs twice).  I am literally the person who gets up and moves from the loud mouth hockey moms.  I am one of those guys who stands down at the end by the boards with the other quiet dads, all of which hate the yelling from the stands.

Even better, if the rink has livebarn, watch it at home. Find myself doing that more and more.

Better yet, rinks should have viewing areas in the lobby and keep parents away from the kids and refs.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, Eddie Shore said:
On 10/18/2019 at 9:27 AM, miked said:

doesn't CHL negate NCAA eligibility? i thought that's where the USHL and NAHL came into play.

Not sure, but i think you are right.  I know BCHL, CCHL, OJHL and a few others are ok, but I am not sure how all the other ones are.

Yes, CHL players receive a stipend, which the NCAA views as being a "pay to play" situation.  If a player goes the CHL route, they lose their NCAA eligibility.  

On 10/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, twoleftfeetd said:

I read a article last year Penn State alone has 60 “committed” players at the 2002 -2003 birth year.

Another "commitment" for PPE announced yesterday. They continue to roll in but if most of the information on this thread is correct, you have to wonder how many of these will actually come to fruition. There are SOOOO many people making SOOOOO much money on hockey players all the way until they are 20 years old in many cases, that it really seems that it may never be worth the expense. Which means that it's better to make sure that they learn to love the sport and the competition of the game.

47 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Another "commitment" for PPE announced yesterday. They continue to roll in but if most of the information on this thread is correct, you have to wonder how many of these will actually come to fruition. There are SOOOO many people making SOOOOO much money on hockey players all the way until they are 20 years old in many cases, that it really seems that it may never be worth the expense. Which means that it's better to make sure that they learn to love the sport and the competition of the game.

It would seem that the PPE should be touting how many of their players have moved on to the USHL and NAHL.  Because it seems as if playing in one of these leagues is necessary to play college hockey.   

not exactly touting, but they do list on their website

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/page/show/2132729-boys-alumni

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/page/show/2132736-girls-alumni

but if you really want to track what happens to PPE players, the best way might be to use Elite Prospects. You can pull up a PPE team by year and click on each player and see where they ended up.

2 hours ago, miked said:

not exactly touting, but they do list on their website

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/page/show/2132729-boys-alumni

https://www.pittsburghpenguinselite.com/page/show/2132736-girls-alumni

but if you really want to track what happens to PPE players, the best way might be to use Elite Prospects. You can pull up a PPE team by year and click on each player and see where they ended up.

What’s amusing to me the majority of the players that “made it” played for the hornets not ppe. 

5 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

100% Correct. It all changed when the city's worst hockey parent had to have it his way.

People seem to forget he worked in politics before becoming a hockey parent. It’s really unfortunate what he did to that program at all birth years. It’s become his son’s vehicle along with a money making machine for the pro team. Let’s not get started how the pro team uses the building as a tax write off. They didn’t put a upmc dr office in the building for medical reasons.   

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

100% Correct. It all changed when the city's worst hockey parent had to have it his way.

You and twoleftfeet are spot on.  Anyone who is confused by your posts or who thinks this isn't the root cause of 99% of the problems hasn't been paying attention. 

Not too many players who could get a full NCAA D1 ride, and tryouts each year with a pro team while averaging less than a half a point a game as a forward.  Doesn't really affect me, I just hate it when the favoritism exists and people try to tell you it doesn't.  

Most pro teams really don't support local youth hockey (not talking about money, they all give that).  This is one of the few that has actually damaged it.

66 had nothing to do with it. His son didn't make PPE its first year, played for Predators. Politician on the other hand is a different story. He was paying coaches when his son was 8 years old at RMU for Foxes A major team. Talk about being entitled. Sure,  certain  names on the  backs of jerseys may get some special treatment. Look around the NHL now and you will notice a lot of familiar names from 20 years ago. I think it's more of a pedigree thing.