Sam Lafferty

22 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

You and twoleftfeet are spot on.  Anyone who is confused by your posts or who thinks this isn't the root cause of 99% of the problems hasn't been paying attention. 

Not too many players who could get a full NCAA D1 ride, and tryouts each year with a pro team while averaging less than a half a point a game as a forward.  Doesn't really affect me, I just hate it when the favoritism exists and people try to tell you it doesn't.  

Most pro teams really don't support local youth hockey (not talking about money, they all give that).  This is one of the few that has actually damaged it.

College hockey players do not get full scholarships. The NCAA limits scholarships to 18 per team. Some conferences limit it to 14 per team. Based on a 30 player roster, each player is getting roughly 1/2 of a scholarship.

Edited by Mysonisagoalie

52 minutes ago, Mysonisagoalie said:

College hockey players do not get full scholarships. The NCAA limits scholarships to 18 per team. Some conferences limit it to 14 per team. Based on a 30 player roster, each player is getting roughly 1/2 of a scholarship.

Actually that is incorrect.  It is up to the coach.  While most choose to spread it out, some do offer full rides, while others on the roster could get nothing. I know this for a 100% fact as I know of two players my kid played with that did get full offers (one did not accept it and went pro).

I will state that I do not have first hand knowledge regarding the player in question, so it was wrong of me to assume that in his instance. 

However, I will not concede on my original point that the pro team in question does not do anything to advance youth hockey in the area from what I have seen and no argument from the "kool aid" drinkers is going to sway my opinion in this regard.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, Eddie Shore said:

Yes, this is something that almost all parents of younger kids really don't understand.  When my kid was younger and playing we would see some older kids get NCAA D1 offers and thought they would actually go there and play (like you see with football).  I can tell you out of 10 kids who were "signed" to D1 schools, only 1 actually played D1 and he was not on a scholarship.  A true NCAA D1 ride is very rare.

Most of the time they commit, then are asked to go play Juniors in Canada either after High School or during it.  They bump around on a few teams and maybe even a few leagues.  Then when they turn 21 they either stop playing or go to college and play ACHA.  Most people don't understand that hockey is different than football and basketball.

If you plan anywhere in Canada, OHL, WHL or QJM you are automatically ineligible to play in the US for a college

17 hours ago, DMB said:

If you plan anywhere in Canada, OHL, WHL or QJM you are automatically ineligible to play in the US for a college

Not sure I understand your statement.  If you are saying that if you play Juniors anywhere in Canada, you would be NCAA ineligible, you incorrect.  You can play in some Canadian Junior Leagues such as the CCHL and be NCAA eligible.  Ben Brunette is playing for Carleton Place this year and is a commit to UMass Lowell, and Jack Agnew is playing is playing in the BCHL and is going to Boston College this fall.  

If you are saying that if you play in the three you listed, you would be ineligible, then I agree.  It can get confusing.

The real confusing part is if you play in the OHL you are ineligible, but if you are in the OJHL you are ok.

12.2.3.2.4 Major Junior Ice Hockey. Ice hockey teams in the United States and Canada, classified by the Canadian Hockey Association as major junior teams, are considered professional teams under NCAA legislation.

12.2.3.2.4.1 Limitation on Restoration of Eligibility. An appeal for restoration of eligibility may be submitted on behalf of an individual who has participated on a major junior ice hockey team under the provisions of Bylaw 12.12; however, such individual shall be denied at least the first year of intercollegiate athletics competition in ice hockey at the certifying institution and shall be charged with the loss of at least one season of eligibility in ice hockey.

It seems like one could appeal and still play at least a couple of years of NCAA after juniors. No doubt it is open to interpretation though.

2 hours ago, downsideup said:

12.2.3.2.4 Major Junior Ice Hockey. Ice hockey teams in the United States and Canada, classified by the Canadian Hockey Association as major junior teams, are considered professional teams under NCAA legislation.

12.2.3.2.4.1 Limitation on Restoration of Eligibility. An appeal for restoration of eligibility may be submitted on behalf of an individual who has participated on a major junior ice hockey team under the provisions of Bylaw 12.12; however, such individual shall be denied at least the first year of intercollegiate athletics competition in ice hockey at the certifying institution and shall be charged with the loss of at least one season of eligibility in ice hockey.

It seems like one could appeal and still play at least a couple of years of NCAA after juniors. No doubt it is open to interpretation though.

Correct, Major Junior = Can't play.  Regular Juniors = Can play.

But, that second rule looks like you can play in Major Juniors, file an appeal, sit out the first year, then play.  That is very interesting......

20 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

Correct, Major Junior = Can't play.  Regular Juniors = Can play.

But, that second rule looks like you can play in Major Juniors, file an appeal, sit out the first year, then play.  That is very interesting......

I would hazard a guess that there could be changes coming with the NCAA now altering the rules on athlete compensation.