dry land for beginners??

So had a buddy tell me he was going to learn to skate so he could skate with his little ones who were getting into hockey. So he asked me if I knew any exercises that he could do that would help him progress faster as once a week public skate is only going to take you so far. I started to answer and stopped myself because i started to think, all the dryland exercises i know are about making a skater stronger and faster and i thought, is that really what you want to do to a beginner? beef up the posterior chain so they launch themselves into the boards with as much force as possible? LOL

any thoughts on this? maybe instead of focusing on the posterior chain just focus on core and balance? 

1 hour ago, miked said:

So had a buddy tell me he was going to learn to skate so he could skate with his little ones who were getting into hockey. So he asked me if I knew any exercises that he could do that would help him progress faster as once a week public skate is only going to take you so far. I started to answer and stopped myself because i started to think, all the dryland exercises i know are about making a skater stronger and faster and i thought, is that really what you want to do to a beginner? beef up the posterior chain so they launch themselves into the boards with as much force as possible? LOL

any thoughts on this? maybe instead of focusing on the posterior chain just focus on core and balance? 

Marianne Watkins likes the slide board to work on opening the stride. Can practice good technique, balance there, too.

I think it's ok to work on all the things you mentioned, but flexibility and core strength will help prevent injuries. As adults, our hip flexors and hammies are very tight, which will interfere with stride. Also, don't ignore upper body strength and flexibility. I fell and tore my rotator cuffs when starting out, may not have happened if I had some more muscle tone to protect the area.

Best way to learn faster is to get out there and practice.