Parent Misconduct?

Here is the USA Hockey Parent's Code of Conduct...

Parent's Code of Conduct

Do not force your children to participate in sports, but support their desires to play their chosen sports. Children are involved in organized sports for their enjoyment. Make it fun.

• Encourage your child to play by the rules. Remember, children learn best by example, so applaud the good plays of both teams.
  • Do not embarrass your child by yelling at players, coaches or officials. By showing a positive attitude toward the game and all of its participants, your child will benefit.
  • Emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit your young athlete. De-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
  • Know and study the rules of the game and support the officials on and off the ice. This approach will help in the development and support of the game. Any criticism of the officials only hurts the game.
  • Applaud a good effort in both victory and defeat, and enforce the positive points of the game. Never yell or physically abuse your child after a game or practice – it is destructive. Work toward removing the physical and verbal abuse in youth sports.
  • Recognize the importance of volunteer coaches. They are important to the development of your child and the sport.
  • Communicate with them and support them.
  • If you enjoy the game, learn all you can about hockey – and volunteer.

So...nothing specific as far as a rule per se. 

But depending upon what was said or done it could most certainly be a SafeSport violation and should be reported. 

Here is the reporting form...

https://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0102/5715/USA_Hockey_SafeSport_Report.pdf#_ga=2.51854953.1534942972.1572881139-1034669445.1567622047

And here are the folks to contact...

https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/5022993-board-contacts

Edited by Ref33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AMR24 said:

So, here is a question: is there a specific rule that prevents a parent from the opposing team to approach a player under the age of 12?

I would say there are two things that SHOULD prevent it.

1. Common sense - good luck

2. The law - should curb this for most people but the lack of #1 is astonishing nowadays

• Like 1

Most rinks have facility-specific rules that would apply to this question, too.

No matter what may or may not have happened on the ice, it seems pretty classless and also like a very bad idea for a parent to do such a thing. I wouldn't hesitate to confront a parent who approached my own kid, or a kid I coach, and I'd call the police if they persisted and let the police sort it out. I have to believe that there are myriad ways to get into legal trouble VERY quickly by doing such a thing.

Just an observation - parents who do this sort of thing tend to develop a reputation, and I know of at least one parent who has adversely affected a placement for their player because teams didn't think their player was worth the hassle of the parent.

4 hours ago, AMR24 said:

So, here is a question: is there a specific rule that prevents a parent from the opposing team to approach a player under the age of 12?

Great question and some very good advice listed above.  The Parent's Cods of Conduct is a great start, and I will echo the other advice that depending what transpired, it could be a safesport violation.  If it was in the locker room area, that most likely would be a rink issue as those areas are for players and coaches only.  Finally, as most have stated that sadly these is where we have gotten to nowadays. 

The good news is that since your son is 12 now, it will only be a few short years until they 16-17 years old and there is nothing better than seeing a dad who thinks he is a bad-ass get whooped by a teenager ? 

I had it happen to my son years ago.  He and another kid got ejected from a High School Game (actually the other kid was fine with it and they joked going back to the locker room).  Dad decided to go back into the locker room and confront my son (physically).  Needless to say my kid came out without a scratch.  Dad was in there a while and still sitting on the bench a little dazed when the game ended and the rest of the team came in.  Nothing better than being a little groggy from getting beat up by a 16 year old, then have 19 more players and 3 coaches come in.