Current Tier 1 MID AM district Standings

Since we are past the half way point of the season, current mid am district tier1 standings 15u-18u

18U

1 Esmark Stars 96.40

2 Gilmour Prep 96.30

3 Culver Prep 95.72

4 PPE 95.11

5 Ohio Blue Jackets 94.78

6 Indy Jr Fuel 93.82

————————————

7 Cleveland Barons 93.72

8 Pittsburgh Predators 92.00

9 Tri State Spartans 91.63

16U

1 PPE 98.39

2 Culver Prep 95.58

3 Esmark Stars 94.86 

4 Sylvania North Stars 94.36

5 Pittsburgh Predators  94.11

6 Ohio Blue Jackets 93.40

—————————————-

7 Cleveland Barons 93.20

8 Tri State Spartans 93.00

9 Indy Jr Fuel  91.54

10 Pittsburgh Icemen 90.22

11 Gilmour Academy 88.19

15U

1 PPE 97.24

2 Ohio Blue Jackets 94.96

3 Cleveland Barons 92.73

4 Mt Lebanon Hornets 92.07

5 Tri State Spartans 91.49

6  Esmark Stars 90.91

—————————————-

7 Indy Jr Fuel 90.12

8 Pittsburgh Predators 90.07

9 Sylvania North Stars 89.33

10 Team Ohio 89.12

11 Cleveland Wildcats 88.21

12 Pittsburgh Icemen 86.8

12U (2007/2008) - Pitt area Tier 1 standing.

I should have probably exclude some of the PAHL teams from the list. But since their ranking is higher than some Tier 1 teams, left them in. Not exactly sure if the ranking comparable between tiers.

Team    Division/Tier    MHR - 27-Nov
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Hannan) 07 AAA (PA)    07 - Tier 1    97.37
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Conway) 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    92.59
Pittsburgh Vengeance 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    91.23
SOUTH HILLS 324    12U AA    90.57
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Stern) 07 AAA (PA)    07 - Tier 1    89.58
NORTH PGH 456    12U AA    88.91
ALLEGHENY 236    12U AA    88.79
FOXES 273    12U AA    88.07
ERIE 502    12U A Major Black    87.50
HUSKIES 351    12U AA    87.40

Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Nelson) 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    87.18

Such a sad day for you. Living so vicariously through your kid's 12U team. And yet, it was not so long ago that you arrived on the scene telling everyone else on here how much you knew about youth hockey and where they should play, how to spend their money to take lessons and from whom and so on and so on.

7 hours ago, lferg said:

12U (2007/2008) - Pitt area Tier 1 standing.

I should have probably exclude some of the PAHL teams from the list. But since their ranking is higher than some Tier 1 teams, left them in. Not exactly sure if the ranking comparable between tiers.

Team    Division/Tier    MHR - 27-Nov
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Hannan) 07 AAA (PA)    07 - Tier 1    97.37
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Conway) 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    92.59
Pittsburgh Vengeance 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    91.23
SOUTH HILLS 324    12U AA    90.57
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Stern) 07 AAA (PA)    07 - Tier 1    89.58
NORTH PGH 456    12U AA    88.91
ALLEGHENY 236    12U AA    88.79
FOXES 273    12U AA    88.07
ERIE 502    12U A Major Black    87.50
HUSKIES 351    12U AA    87.40

Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (Nelson) 08 AAA (PA)    08 - Tier 1    87.18

I don’t think you understand the intent of the original post. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

Yep.  Look at the rankings.

18u PPE is pretty bad this year. They dropped even more since I posted the mid season standings. I know they lost a handful of good 02s to juniors but They've got some kids that make you scratch your head (in a bad way)

On 12/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, twoleftfeetd said:

18u PPE is pretty bad this year. They dropped even more since I posted the mid season standings. I know they lost a handful of good 02s to juniors but They've got some kids that make you scratch your head (in a bad way)

Rhetorically speaking...

How can the 18u ppe have a tryout with plenty of kids to choose from and then end up with such few kids and such a bad team (by ppe standards)? Didn’t they know or at least have an idea of the kids that would be leaving? Was it even a legitimate tryout (does such a thing even exist)? Who has benefited from this hockey disaster?

There are so many more questions to ask, eh?

I'm speaking out of my butt but I'm assuming a lot of the Pens local losses come when they go from two teams to one and start bringing in kids from outside PA. Once that happens you lose 3/4 of the kids who have played Pens elite from squirts up.  The imports play here 2-3 years then go to Juniors or other places when they turn 17 so you are left with a small team who doesn't.  Meanwhile the kids who were cut have moved on to other "AAA" programs and you are stuck trying to get either the kids you cut a couple years ago to come back OR getting new kids who may not be as good as the ones you cut and now don't want to come back to your program. 

Edited by aaaahockey
Language

41 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

I'm speaking out of my butt but I'm assuming a lot of the Pens local losses come when they go from two teams to one and start bringing in kids from outside PA. Once that happens you lose 3/4 of the kids who have played Pens elite from squirts up.  The imports play here 2-3 years then go to Juniors or other places when they turn 17 so you are left with a small team who doesn't.  Meanwhile the kids who were cut have moved on to other "AAA" programs and you are stuck trying to get either the kids you cut a couple years ago to come back OR getting new kids who may not be as good as the ones you cut and now don't want to come back to your program. 

I bet some quit playing, too. They lose interest once they feel like they aren't going anywhere, go to college, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PPEFAN said:

Rhetorically speaking...

How can the 18u ppe have a tryout with plenty of kids to choose from and then end up with such few kids and such a bad team (by ppe standards)? Didn’t they know or at least have an idea of the kids that would be leaving? Was it even a legitimate tryout (does such a thing even exist)? Who has benefited from this hockey disaster?

There are so many more questions to ask, eh?

They call it “Pen & Friends” for a reason!  Tryouts were a joke for that group.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2019 at 11:46 PM, Racchi’s Rug said:

I wonder how Esmark would fare against the USPHL Vengeance. Would be a close game IMO

esmarks 18’s would KILL that “faux” junior team. As bad as PPE 18s are they too would beat them. PPE 16s along with esmark’s 16s would also beat that team. High level tier 1 midget hockey is not even comparable to pay to play tier 3 junior hockey, you folks think tier 1 AAA hockey is watered down, go take a look at the tier 3 junior scene, it’s laughable. , look up the vengeance junior team and where those players have played, they are one of the better usphl teams, that should tell you a lot about tier 3. 

• Like 1

nobody has updated this topic, I will. The field is set at tier 1, this weeks rankings are the cut off. The district tournament will be held in Pittsburgh this year, March 4th - 8th. 

18s

1) Esmark 97.04

2) Culver Academy 96.64

3) Gilmour Academy 96.42

4) Ohio Blue Jackets 95.38

5) PPE 94,98

6) Cleveland Barons 94.56

16s 

1) PPE 97.88

2) Culver Academy 95.72

3) Sylvania North Stars 94.59

4) Esmark 94.39

5) Cleveland Barons 93.43

6) Pittsburgh Predators 93.19

15s

1) PPE 96.60

2) Ohio Blue Jackets 94.83

3) Cleveland Barons 92.11

4) Mt Lebanon Hornets 91.73

5) Tri-State Spartans 90.87

6) Esmark 90.51

good luck to all the burgh teams. Enjoy the experience, it goes by fast! 

On 12/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, twoleftfeetd said:

Did you know they have played a lot of the season with 4 defenseman and 7-9 forwards? The players lost to Jr’s and injuries has affected their play! Not taking anything away from Esmark! Good team!

9 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

Or afraid of being embarrassed. 

Lol!! Yeah, ok! C’mon! Hate on them all you want, but they are a very good team! Looking at the schedule they have played, every game seems competitive, and filled with top end talent! All due respect to the teams in the Mid Am tournament, it will be tough to beat the PPE 16’s. 

23 hours ago, dropthepuck said:

16's should be very interesting. PPE hasn't played any of these teams this season with the creation of their elite league. too good for the commoners of the tri-state area I guess

For years, I have seen people on this board complain about the number of games, quality of teams and too much time being spent on the road/traveling spending money on travel hockey. So, now they play a limited game schedule, against top end talent, spending mostly two nights hotel vs three or four, and focusing more on development. Now they are “too good for commoners”? What do they gain by playing those teams? If they play them and beat them badly, they should have won. If they beat them and it’s close or lose? It’s a lose lose situation!

1 hour ago, Hockey1 said:

For years, I have seen people on this board complain about the number of games, quality of teams and too much time being spent on the road/traveling spending money on travel hockey. So, now they play a limited game schedule, against top end talent, spending mostly two nights hotel vs three or four, and focusing more on development. Now they are “too good for commoners”? What do they gain by playing those teams? If they play them and beat them badly, they should have won. If they beat them and it’s close or lose? It’s a lose lose situation!

They are only focusing on development for 16s, why is that ? It’s not hard to figure out. 

personally, my feelings are PPE 16s will win the district. Maybe culver can beat them but that’s more than likely the only team that has a chance. PPE will win 15s with out any problems. 18s will be a toss up between the top 3.