Organization Question

My kid plays for Butler Valley Dawgs. 

Has anyone ever attended one of the board meetings besides the board members?  Is the meeting place and times even announced ? Are local hockey organizations non-profit? As such, as a member, am I entitled to look over the financials for several years? 

The Pennsylvania Department of State Corporations Bureau website has them listed as a nonprofit corporation. According to an Attorney General publication, they must provide info to members based on their Articles of Incorporation, which can be ordered from the Corporations Bureau if you can't get a copy from BV. (The Articles should also define 'member'.) If they are also a federal 501(c), there are probably more rules governing them. Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustHockey said:

My kid plays for Butler Valley Dawgs. 

Has anyone ever attended one of the board meetings besides the board members?  Is the meeting place and times even announced ? Are local hockey organizations non-profit? As such, as a member, am I entitled to look over the financials for several years? 

I smell something fishing going on up in BV...

For more specifics, look at the bylaws. PAHL’s bylaws state that member orgs have to be non-profits and the orgs must also hold at least 4 publicized membership meetings each year. Not sure if PAHL enforces that though, as we’ve been at orgs where every meeting is open, while others had nothing for members. 

Also look at your orgs bylaws. Nonprofits must make them accessible to members. I found BVs on their website and saw details regarding financial reporting and budgets that should be available to members. Ask a board member to provide it.

What do you expect from an organization that the board is made up of parents from one team ?  When someone resigns, the president appoints someone from the same team.  What could go wrong from such a closed group? Throw in the pahl president to the mix and total chaos is sure to follow. Ok, there is one board member not on that same team, the scheduler.  A non-voting position. 

XXXXXXXXXX

inappropriate content removed

XXXXXXXXXX

Next time you play there, ask the ref where he is from or where he plays, or played.   We left last year for NP, best move we ever made.   Not a bad idea for someone to look into the money flow of that organization. 

Edited by one97one00

So I am confused....if you have these questions why are not just going to the website and get emails and phone numbers?  Wouldn't that be the easier thing to do rather then posting here?  Why not go straight to the source?  May be a lot easier and would most likely get all your questions answered?

12 hours ago, rtruth said:

So I am confused....if you have these questions why are not just going to the website and get emails and phone numbers?  Wouldn't that be the easier thing to do rather then posting here?  Why not go straight to the source?  May be a lot easier and would most likely get all your questions answered?

Because he wants to stir up trouble.  If he wanted answers, he would have sent them a simple email asking for the info.  If he did and they refused, he would have then come on here to vent his issues. For now, he’s just on a blind witch hunt and apparently unhappy with BV.

Your wasting your time if you are looking at the financials. They say they collected x and spent it on y. The things you need to look at is distribution of ice time. Are certain team getting a lot more than others. I have seen in the past teams taking an entire weekend like presidents day and run a small tournament or showcase, how ever the money from those teams that attend never make it back to the org and end up in a team fund. Tryouts and team formation is another issue. Bv sold the birth year model last year to keep the 04 group together and had an 03 and 07 team. They then pulled the plug this year cause it would not affect the current 04. All org have issue along with people with agendas. While having little turnover on a board creates more stability, not having term limits causes more people to push their agenda. Add in the for profit teams like selects and Iceman and it screwed up the landscape more.

Im as confused as @rtruth is. All you have to do is simply ask an organization and they will provide that information. If you are upset about a different matter, which I'll read into it, you are, this isn't the place to get people to jump on your band waggon and bash an organizationmor volunteers within it.  Can we all just take a moment to realize that the majority (please note majority) of these organizations are supported by unpaid volunteers and exist so kids have the benefit and enjoyment of playing hockey with their friends...friends they will hopefully have for a lifetime and memories they will share with their kids.  It's about the love of the game. If the next Crosby's kid's dad or mom is on this board, let me know, so I can get my law degree and represent them once they get passed puberty.