Speaking of Bad Behavior by Adults

Anyone else see the story about a coach pushing a 10 year old girl down at RMU?  Obviously the video doesn't tell use enough of the context and if something happened, but seriously, what behavior do we find acceptable these days?  I didn't post the link since it "identifies" the hockey player and I know that used to be against the rules, but it may be fine since it has been publicly posted in the news.  

Obviously, at no point should any coach touch an opposing player other than to shake their hand or fist bump them after the game. That said, I watched the video 50 times. I even enlarged it to only include the section with the handshake line against the bench. You can’t see anything that has to do with the coach pushing the child. The coaches head and shoulders turn as to wonder why the player fell down. I’m not saying it’s a lie, however, that angle of video shows nothing. Maybe they have another angle???  Nowadays, anybody can say anything and it’s going to get somebody in trouble. Whether the deed happened or not. If that’s not bad enough, add in the stupid media. Sad world we live in.

Edited by PuckHead7

I agree with both of you- I also would *hope* that if a coach actually pushed down a player from the other team that the other coaches standing beside him and watching would do something about it (even if that just means removing him from the bench and reporting him) but who knows?

I was waiting for a parent to jump on here and tell us how she "deserved it" ?

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

I agree with both of you- I also would *hope* that if a coach actually pushed down a player from the other team that the other coaches standing beside him and watching would do something about it (even if that just means removing him from the bench and reporting him) but who knows?

I was waiting for a parent to jump on here and tell us how she "deserved it" ?

You bring up a good point. If that happened and I was next to the coach that shoved, hit, push down a player, we would definitely be having words. I would at least turn towards him and say something. Most likely I would have grabbed the other coach and pushed him backwards. None of this even happened in the video. The other coaches acted normal as if it was just a handshake. Very weird!  This makes me think even more that the whole thing is a set up and lie.

17 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

At u10, randomly falling down is part of the game. 

Yeah but your mom claiming the opposing coach pushed you down in the handshake line isn't...or shouldn't be!  Again, I think the video isn't enough to say anything either way, but I'd probably lean in his favor based on the other conversations here.  

I disagree, though i do not think the action was supper malicious, or obvious, the middle coach or the 3rd person on the bench in order of handshake,  is the one that knocks the child over.  you can tell by her reaction it was not a simple hand tap.. his shoulder, as he taps her was much firmer and actually did dip towards her unlike any of the other hand taps. the 2nd coach does turn to see what happened, but he wasn't the one that knocked her over. if you watch it close and focus on that third coache's shoulder you can clearly see him shove her.  completely un excusable. 

Edited by rock

I'm not sure what to make of that. It sure seems from the player's reaction that she felt that she was pushed.

From the front page of their organization's website (https://www.claringtonflames.ca/?

SPECIAL NOTICE

We are aware of the situation that occurred with one of Clarington Girls Hockey Association (CGHA) volunteers at a recent tournament in Pittsburgh.

The Ontario Women's Hockey Association and Hockey Canada are currently investigating the situation. The CGHA organization will support and provide full cooperation with all governing entities to ensure a thorough and transparent process.

The CGHA will continue to foster a positive and fun hockey experience for all of our members which supports growth and development to help our players achieve their personal goals.  As always, the CGHA ensures that all health and safety requirements are met or exceeded in the best interest of our members at all times.

We have no further comment at this time.

CGHA President

Edited by Lifelongbender

Definitely need another angle.  Can’t tell what actually happened.  Here’s a question, why is the person recording all of the coaches movements prior to a handshake along the benches.  Their daughter her teammates are clearly not along the boards for a good bit.  Wouldn’t you think that the video would follow the players shaking hands with the other team and then follow along to the coaches.  Still seems fishy!

i think the video is from livebarn on panzoom and then zoomed in and rotated to focus on the coaches. 

after watching the video a few times, i think i noticed that coaches left hand pop out as the girl goes down. like an oh shit i knocked her down reflex. 

my completely speculative opinion from what i saw on that camera angle. the girl came through the line not looking at the coaches, the coach in question gave her a pop on the shoulder probably because he felt disrespected she was staring dead ahead, she went down, and he seemed to have an oh shit reaction. dum dum move by the coach.  but really this isn't national, or i guess in this case international news. make the coach write an apology, suspend him, move on. 

if you've ever sat through a safe sport, you know how much worse it is out there. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

The Durham (Canada) police are now doing a formal investigation in cooperation with Pennsylvania authorities about the possibility of pressing charges. 

unless someone has a different view (from the stands, for example), not sure how you can suspend/take action with just the Livebarn feed.  The exact action of his arm/hand and touching the girl in the shoulder (or wherever) is hidden.  So we don't know for sure if she ran into his arm and fell or he did something bad.  

I'm not trying to get that coach off the hook, but I don't see enough to make the leap with the Livebarn angles.

43 minutes ago, PuckHead7 said:

Agree with @Scooby Doo

To boot, they were both Canadian teams playing in Pgh.  How dumb is that?

That's what happens when you go to a tournament. Can't tell you how many times my son's team went to an out of town tournament and played another Pittsburgh team. This Thanksgiving tournament is a pretty good tournament and well respected in the girl's hockey community. They draw a lot of teams from Canada.