24th Annual Pa Hockey Scholastic Showcase

Hi Everyone ! Happy Holidays to everyone as we look forward to hosting the 24th Annual Pa Hockey Scholastic Showcase. For those unable to attend the Tournament, ALL of the Results will be posted online at www.pahockey.net  . The Pittsburgh Hockey Digest will be on hand to take pictures of the preliminary round and will Podcast the Semi Finals and Championship Games and is located at  http://burghhockey.com/ 

The Scoreboard will be located in the Lobby Area and have all of the results of the Director's Cup Varsity Tournament and Futures Junior Varsity Event. We welcome ALL Fans to attend the games (FREE Admission) and anticipate some great hockey and ask that ALL are on their best behavior and sportsmanship that has been a staple of this event every year for 24 years. Thank you to Alpha Ice Complex and their staff for hosting this event and the great staff of On Ice Officials, Scorekeepers and EMT's who make this event great !

Governor’s Cup of Pennsylvania  
Website     www.pahockey.net
2019 Pa Hockey Scholastic Showcase – Director’s Cup
December 26-29, 2019 ~ Alpha Ice Complex – Pittsbugh PA

PAHSS W SCH 19 FINAL.xlsx

Have you researched the other teams and the competition level that they provided? Other than NA, that is. That's a complete soiling of the bed on their part.

West A had 4 of their 5 games finish in OT or shootout. That's an exciting run of games for them that I'm sure they'll always remember.

Latrobe often tends to play well in events like this and St Margaret's.

Both these teams along with Baldwin look like the main contenders in AA.

3 hours ago, twoboys said:

Maybe someone could help me.   How did Latrobe and West Allegheny, two AA programs, make it to the finals?  Are the classifications meaningless? 

This year pretty much yes. Tj in A is one of the best teams in pihl when all their players are there. AA is extremely young outside of Baldwin, Latrobe & WA. AAA has many young players. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LONG time lurker this topic and one other made me create a user so I could reply. the pihl is having a very down year I’ve watched many years of varsity it’s just not good hockey this year in any class. School teams are missing many local players that play for tier 1 programs. The pens have zero players in the pihl this year esmark has a very small few the predators appear to have the most and it’s still not half their teams players  I’m not sure about icemen it looks like they Only have one age group that would effect varsity hockey but they do not have players on the team listed and I really don’t know much about them. I think the officiating is part of the problem I am not blaming the refs the games at tier 1 are called very different than the pihl and pahl. The pihl and Pahl seem to be called very similar I’ve talked to some players most of them say in the pihl a clean hit to separate the player from the puck turns into a 2/10 in a school game or roughing or interference it sounds like it has Turned many of them off playing for their schools.  Do they pay officials less in the pihl ? Are they different officials ? I have watched some college club games at upmc and they seem to be called more like tier 1 games. I am not knocking the officials it’s a hard job that doesn’t pay well. 

I just finished watching the above game what I saw was very bad hockey with out the occasional check it looked like beer league in warrendale. No puck movement kids trying to play pond hockey very slow paced hockey in general lack of defensive play from all positions there were a lot of players on both teams who do not skate well at all.  Maybe the coaching in the pihl isn’t very good anymore 

Now the pihl wants to start a girls division I don’t see them getting enough players all the top girls play for the pens and selects locally un like men’s hockey the woman have more opportunity for college Ncaa hockey money due to title 9 none of these girls will take the chance at injury to play in a very tiny girls school division for fun. These teams would all have to be co op like the boys B division I don’t imagine even the biggest school districts have 16-20 female hockey players in the same high school. 

I do agree that many teams in the pihl are young this year this gives me hope maybe next year and on the play will get better i just spent a hour looking at the pihl website after that comment was made.

Whatever the reason I hope it can be fixed school hockey was such a great experience to play in my day I’ve followed it now for 35 plus years it has always been going up but all the sudden this season it’s taken a nose dive. call me Al bundy I don’t care I really enjoy watching the kids play mine are all grown up Upmc and Baierl are in my backyard and I love having two rinks so close I attend a lot of games! This season alone I’ve seen in person every varsity team that plays out of Baierl at least once along with their opponents I’ve have gone to two slippery rock college club games I’ve watched a few games at every age group the penguins have along with a junior ushl showcase I’ve watched esmark 16 and 18 year olds I saw the Predators 16 year olds play I also catch a lot of Pahl games north Pittsburgh wildcats, steel city renegades, north hills. Sorry to ramble on i just enjoy watching hockey at my age haha and really hope varsity hockey gets better again. I would also like to add it doesn’t look like many students come out to watch their schools teams this year years past had much much better student body attendance 

thank you for reading 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, The King said:

Thank God the genius that has his pulse on the thumb of high quality hockey in the area swoops in to give all his expert analysis. I’d spend less time giving uneducated opinions based on your kids low level of play and more time improving your writing skills. 

I’ve seen your posts before why do you have to be combative and negative ? Sometimes you can be a very good contributor on this forum I agree with the persons assessment that the pihl is very young this year at all classes I looked teams up on the pihl website after reading it he’s correct and when you add that with many tier 1 players not in the pihl this season it starts to make more sense why the level of hockey in the pihl is down this season I also believe the games are called completely different in the pihl I think the pihl could use better leadership and the student body needs to start coming out to support their teams!!!! The few I see are always walking around the barns looking for phone service 

thank you for reading 

• Sad 1

On 1/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, The King said:

Thank God the genius that has his pulse on the thumb of high quality hockey in the area swoops in to give all his expert analysis. I’d spend less time giving uneducated opinions based on your kids low level of play and more time improving your writing skills. 

Look who crawled out from under a rock - the "king" of being banned and having to change his name four + times.........And I quote -  "the game is so dull and mediocre".   Then why are you here?  All you do is bring negativity to a civil discussion on the state of PIHL and you have to go Trump on everyone that has an opinion that is different from yours.  How do you know the state of PIHL yourself?  You have said multiple times on this site you were thankful your kids were never part of the cesspool that is western PA hockey.....then again you must be the genius know-it-all and everyone else is a dope.  You should change your name to "Sir Cut N' Paste" because you recycle the same, old and tired comments.

Can't you find a lacrosse thread to lend your genius takes?  Chess, checkers, backgammon?  Or relive your glory days by finding a Donkey Kong machine at the local Chuck E Cheese so you can really impress your friends.

Clown.

• Haha 2

•  
  • fafa fohi
  • Members
  • 152 posts
On 11/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, sadday4hockey said:

I believe this is what the bleeding heart liberals call Quid Pro Quo isn't it?

No, it is what a bloated four time bone spur draft dodger calls “the perfect” scenario. 

keep the politics out of this son - that’s what Twitter is for. 

Your rule, not mine.

Bleeding heart.jpg

5 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:
  •  
  • fafa fohi
  • Members
  • 152 posts

No, it is what a bloated four time bone spur draft dodger calls “the perfect” scenario. 

keep the politics out of this son - that’s what Twitter is for. 

Your rule, not mine.

Bleeding heart.jpg

Digging into quotes from two months ago that have nothing to do with the topic?

You are creepy, bro.  

And next time, have a point.  

3 hours ago, The King said:

I’ll help you. He’s noting your pattern of hypocrisy in your criticisms of people who make you look foolish on this message board. I doubt he had to dig and probably just made a mental note after you blasted him for pointing out that you’re a bleeding heart liberal that covers up and screams “no bullying” when you’re challenged. As has been recommended to you several times here, stay in your lane.

Hey king, how much longer til you snap and get banned again?  Should you really be the one coming here to preach about my criticism of others when in fact  you have been banned from this site four times now and had to change your name each time to get back in?  You are a walking flamethrower.  See, guys like you are too easy and you can’t help yourself. 

So when it comes to “a pattern of hypocrisy,” that coming from you is what makes this so laughable. It’s in every single comment you make.

How much longer until you snap once again and get a record fifth ban?  

Not long, just be true to yourself and all will come soon enough, just as I predicted.  Don’t let me down, king. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, The King said:

Didn’t even know you existed until I saw notifications that you reacted to my posts. Once I looked back I found a few of your posts and they either made me laugh or were pathetic which I marked with a sad face. My apologies if it made you feel upset or intimidated. Anyway, thanks for keeping up with my content! Hopefully you learn something!

How about entertained? Ask a simple question, get abuse in return, per your usual. You go, tough guy.

29 minutes ago, The King said:

Now this post is intriguing on several different levels relating to the emotional and psychological issues we face today. It also raises a few questions.

First, I’m honored to keep you entertained. I have been complimented on my ability to enthrall the reader/listener many times. 

Now, a main talking point of this thread has been @Stillers1979 assertion that the hockey he has witnessed in his recent observations is substandard. I have several reasons why I believe he may be correct. Although he gave no evidence to back up his opinion, I, along with many others, have drawn the same conclusion. The competitive level, skating fundamentals, and general knowledge of the ice surface and how to navigate it, has dipped drastically in this area. Again, I cited several reasons I believe this has happened. One of these reasons is the fear of competition I alluded to. In your post @Saucey, you cite abuse in my response to your question. This is the cowardice that defines this area and the main reason why this area’s hockey community will continue to be buried by wealthy, greedy, and corrupt entities and individuals that make a living off of folks like this that run and tattle time the teacher when someone gives a strong opinion. If you are referring to me apologizing for intimidating you, my simple suggestion is to not be so cowardly. And before you claim name calling or intimidation, remember, it’s my opinion and suggestion. You don’t get to legislate someone’s beliefs.

Nobody is questioning your right to have an opinion. You have the right just everyone else.

To put it simply, you don't have to be an abusive condescending jackass towards anyone that has an opinion different than yours.  State your case and move on.  Your problem is every time someone disagrees with you, you go personal and say they are pissed off and bitter because their kid got cut or cannot compete at a certain level when in fact, you know nothing about their kid nor their actual experience.  I am not the only one stating this - many on this site have done the same, hence the reason for being banned multiple times and changing your user name.  

And I quote - "You don’t get to legislate someone’s beliefs."  How about taking your own advice, biff?

And last but not least, you intimidate nobody and the fact you think that you do adds more comedy to a thread that at one point was legit. 

• Like 1

Boys, at some point you have to come to the realization that trying to convince a guy he's being a jerk ends up making you sound just as bad as it goes on. Just go to your account settings and ignore the guy who bugs you and your days will be much happier and maybe we can actually talk about hockey constructively rather than just argue about who is the bigger 1) idiot and/or 2) jerk.

Just my $0.02, but I actually like the hockey talk that sometimes breaks out here during the fighting.

For my part, I haven't seen any evidence that fear of competition is a serious issue at the JV games I attend with some regularity. I guess maybe I'm stupid, but that's my observation.