2011 Summer Camp Recommendations

Looking for summer camp recommendations in the pgh area that are within driving distance.   We are in Canonsburg.    My son is a 2011 red mite but will be in squirts next year.    

Last year, we did RMU Hockey Academy..   Powerskating and Shoot to Score which was good - so considering that again as they have a Mite to Squirt transition camp, but was wondering what other offerings are in the area that you would recommend?   We are looking for something high level with low coach to student ratios.   We have been doing Tyler Kennedy skill sessions weekly.

I searched the forum and saw a lot of recommends for this: http://www.interelhockeyacademy.com/ which looked good.

Probably not looking to travel out of town yet for a camp, but maybe next year.   I saw Penn State and Kent State.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Planet Hockey is offering a camp at Printscape Arena July 6th-10th. We're in Canonsburg too, so its right in our backyard. With the additional STP program they offer added on its 3+ hours of ice daily, plus dryland, lunch and video. Not really sure what to expect, but I signed my '13 up a couple of weeks ago.

https://planethockey.configio.com/pd/755?source=search&returncom=productlist&rid=437&diid=756#Detail

The Planet hockey one sounded interesting as it's the closest to us at Printscape.    Wasn't sure if it was any good considering I think it's the first year it's been offered at Printscape, but they do it nationally.    Anyone know about this?   I did like that it was for most of the day and looked detailed for the agenda.

Put any feelings aside you may have for Yuri as a coach, the guy runs a great summer camp.  When both of my boys were playing each did the week-long camps for 3-4 years straight.  He makes the kids work hard and is not shy at yelling at them if they are not fluffing off.  If you are looking for a hockey centric camp without all of the extra stuff like game rooms or dorm rooms, I highly recommend it.

11 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Put any feelings aside you may have for Yuri as a coach, the guy runs a great summer camp.  When both of my boys were playing each did the week-long camps for 3-4 years straight.  He makes the kids work hard and is not shy at yelling at them if they are not fluffing off.  If you are looking for a hockey centric camp without all of the extra stuff like game rooms or dorm rooms, I highly recommend it.

For people who don't know, Interel is Yuri. The camp was very good.

1 hour ago, The King said:

Is anyone of Yuri’s followers able to give any specifics on why his camp is best? I would think if your relying on the coach to motivate the kid and make him work hard, you might want to ask the kid if he’s still Interested in competing. Most of you would be shocked and disheartened of their answer. From what I have been told, the team he coaches is struggling this season and were hurting for players. Of course that’s not an indictment on his abilities as a skills coach. I just think more specifics would be helpful. And having a skills coach does not ensure success. The players need to have motivation themselves. Most of the time, they reflect the failings of the parent that is pushing them to do what they couldn’t. But allow them to find their way themselves and let the experts teach them, they’ll find their own level. How long has your player been training with Yuri? 

I can only tell you what my kid says, and I don't think it was an option offered as 'best', just an option. He was worked and felt like he learned something. Other kids at the camp gave similar feed back. I know nothing about Yuri beyond that. It's a week long camp. You aren't going to see huge changes in play there, or any camp. I would say the same things about many other camps offered around town.

6 hours ago, The King said:

Is anyone of Yuri’s followers able to give any specifics on why his camp is best? I would think if your relying on the coach to motivate the kid and make him work hard, you might want to ask the kid if he’s still Interested in competing. Most of you would be shocked and disheartened of their answer. From what I have been told, the team he coaches is struggling this season and were hurting for players. Of course that’s not an indictment on his abilities as a skills coach. I just think more specifics would be helpful. And having a skills coach does not ensure success. The players need to have motivation themselves. Most of the time, they reflect the failings of the parent that is pushing them to do what they couldn’t. But allow them to find their way themselves and let the experts teach them, they’ll find their own level. How long has your player been training with Yuri? 

My son doesn’t play for Yuri, we live 90 minutes from their rink but he’s done Yuri’s summer camps in the past. My son played for PPE one season and I give a lot of credit to Yuri for the tryout preparation. Beyond skills training my son learned a strong work ethic. You have to do work away from the rink. As for his teams struggling, just look at my hockey rankings, the results are there. They don’t seem to be struggling at all. 

41 minutes ago, The King said:

As far as the rankings, MidAm(the Pittsburgh area specifically) didn’t seem to be very strong This year so middle of the pack isn’t very impressive. Is it true they were adding players to the bottom of the Esmark rosters from teams that posters in this board have deemed “faux AAA”? That’s the feedback I’m getting. But if your kid had a good experience at any camp that’s a good thing. Is there a reason why if it was that great if an experience, you wouldn’t have your son tryout and play for Yuri?  Just looking for specifics if anyone is going to give others recommendations on how to spend their hard earned money. 

It’s just to far, we live in Crawford. Cranberry was a hour when we played for ppe.  I couldn’t answer who they add / cut or whatever. Looking at the rankings I wouldn’t call the esmark teams “mid level” the 18s are #1 in the district and #20 overall. The 16s are #3 in the district And #42 overall. I’ll agree the 15s look middle of the pack at #6 in  The district and #76 overall but they still are qualifying for the district tournament, anything can happen in one game. I’m not telling people how to spend their money, I am giving input that my son had a good experience at Yuri’s summer camps, it’s that simple. 

What I like about Yuri is that he actually stops and corrects the kids if they are doing the drills wrong. Unlike others who show the drill or skill ones or twice and then just let the kids go. He will stop them and make sure that they are getting what they are being taught. One week with Yuri makes a lot of difference. 

• Like 1

In my opinion I would not waste the time and money on a camp or clinic. Most camps and clinics have a terrible coach to player ratio. Coaches do not have the time to correct the mistakes that the players are making.

Your time and money would be better spent sending your son to work with a skating instructor 1 on 1 and take him to as many stick times as you can.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BACKCHECKING said:

In my opinion I would not waste the time and money on a camp or clinic. Most camps and clinics have a terrible coach to player ratio. Coaches do not have the time to correct the mistakes that the players are making.

Your time and money would be better spent sending your son to work with a skating instructor 1 on 1 and take him to as many stick times as you can.   

Could not agree more. Money is better spent with a skating coach through out the summer. These camps don’t do much to help the players, it’s like spring teams the business has product not being used (ice) and need to unload it. 

• Like 1