Ppe 18u prep?

They took it down lol. It was described as a new team that would play 55 high level prep and aaa teams. Attending North Catholic and having 4 practices per wk, along w skill development and weight training. Sounded a lot like a PPE team for the Excel 18u kids idk. Maybe high school hockey friendly too, unlike the current ppe teams??

Btw they should let those kids play high school hockey. That 18u team stinks and none of those seniors will play meaningful junior hockey. They’ve now lost the chance to have some found memories playing for school pride. Sad that it’s set up that way!

It's all part of the master plan of the world's worst hockey parent. I was also told, this is second hand and only hearsay, that attending the Excel will be required next season for all age groups applicable. Now, everyone knows it's already a requirement but this person alleges that it will be in writing and not just telepathically communicated. Stay tuned as the tryout carousel is about to be fired up for 2020.

3 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

This new Pens Elite/North Catholic AAA/Prep team is an interesting concept. However, if what you're saying -- participating in the Excel program being required for all Pens Elite players (not just the players on the North Catholic hybrid team) -- is true, you could see a significant amount of 16U and 18U kids gravitate towards Esmark (especially with their recent success).

Completely agree here. Pens would out themselves out of business at several levels because they would lose the best kids who cant or don't want to do Excel

There’s no way that PPE will require all PPE players to attend Excel.  This is a stupid concept and a waste of a good conversation.  Why in the hell would all of the schools that the players attend allow the kids to be dismissed early? Excel starts at 1:30pm.  What, are they leaving school at noon? How are the getting from their school to Cranberry?  Dumb!

I will say that the 18U NC/Excel team is an interesting idea. There are many kids that go to NC that do not play for PPE.  It could also mean the demise of any chance of NC having a good PIHL varsity team in the future.  All with a price.  22-24k ish to go to NC, be in Excel and be on the team. Guesstimating, of course.  What ranking does this team go on?  Definitely not AAA!  Why would NC allow this? Less money for them and more for Excel/PPE.

Edited by PuckHead7

Interesting topic, I offer the following:

1.  After U16 PPE and many other AAA teams lose teams to junior hockey and some to Prep Schools.  Prep Schools give you an extra year to develop if needed.

2. The only real competition in Pittsburgh for the Pens would be Shady Side, maybe Kiski?.  

So the Pens develop a "Prep" team that allows them to keep the old black teams in house and playing for the "Pens", all the while filling the coffers.  $6000 (WAG) a player/ 18 players a team, 3 teams= $324,000.00.  

I think the average prep school tuition is north of $40k.  Seems like a win win for PPE and North Catholic.  

Wow, still thinking about this and knowing the kids that would be included on this team this year.  Who are they going to play?  The really good kids will play for PPE/Esmark or a really good AA team.  The avg kids will be playing for this team.  Gilmour Academy would kill them.  SSA would obliterate them as they did to Preds AAA.  St Ignatius would pound them.  Knowing a few other that are within a few hours, they’d beat them up pretty good also.  They’d have to play team 2’s!  IMO, that’s not Prep. Team would be A Major at best!  NC varsity would be dead in the water.  I just don’t see it happening.

I'm not supporting this-those were just my thoughts when I read the article.

I agree I don't think they would fair well starting out but you have to start somewhere.

Puckhead I was thinking 15U/16U/18U.  

I would pick SSA as well as a number of other Prep Schools.  

The real question is would the local market support it?

6 hours ago, PuckHead7 said:

There’s no way that PPE will require all PPE players to attend Excel.  This is a stupid concept and a waste of a good conversation.  Why in the hell would all of the schools that the players attend allow the kids to be dismissed early? Excel starts at 1:30pm.  What, are they leaving school at noon? How are the getting from their school to Cranberry?  Dumb!

I will say that the 18U NC/Excel team is an interesting idea. There are many kids that go to NC that do not play for PPE.  It could also mean the demise of any chance of NC having a good PIHL varsity team in the future.  All with a price.  22-24k ish to go to NC, be in Excel and be on the team. Guesstimating, of course.  What ranking does this team go on?  Definitely not AAA!  Why would NC allow this? Less money for them and more for Excel/PPE.

I know that this is NC’s first year back at the Varsity level, and I realize they are A. 
But at 11-1, it seems they are doing okay as it is.

36 minutes ago, g8586 said:

NC varsity has nothing to do with ppe prep which will be playing prep/AAA teams from across the country- not local high schools. 

Ok, so the Ppe Prep team must attend NC and must do excel though, right? Isn’t representing the school on the ice part of the idea being a prep team? Can they play NC varsity too? I’m just trying to understand this

1 hour ago, Chinstrap said:

Already realize the difference in Pens Elite, NC, and Excel.

My post was merely in response to this.

You are confusing all of us with your responses.

Anyway you look at it, the most talented players will still play for the PPE and Esmark.    The others will apparently have a choice.  Play for the new team, prep, if that’s what they are going to call it.  Or, play for the NC high school Varsity or JV.  Those three+ (plus because people still have a choice to not play for any team related to NC or Excel) teams are made up of 70+ players.  Are there 70 ice hockey players that attend NC?  Not sure where all these players are coming from.  Plus, again, the talent just isn’t there.  Not when you subtract the elite players off the list. A major at best.  Give it 6-8 years and maybe it will evolve into a hockey power house.

@RegDunlop7 your last paragraph is what will happen.  However, I do disagree with how good you think St Ignatius is.  They may not schedule with the best teams, as they should, but they are a pretty darn good team.  Excel Prep will be scheduling games with the same Pihl A teams that NC is playing now.  Not Prep!!! 

Edited by PuckHead7

I replied in a different topic but the PPE prep is to keep kids that would end up at esmark for 16 & 18. It’s a way for them to bring the two team model back at the older ages. They will still have the normal PPE teams. I’m sure this prep thing somehow benefits a certain player at PPE. Everything they created and have done revolves around what’s best for him. 

• Like 1

If North Catholic fields a prep team that would be a nice alternative.  SSA has a Prep and Varsity.  No reason why NC can't have both.  Essentially, they would play a national/regional schedule of other prep schools.  If the program includes travel like the traditional prep programs and is priced similarly I can see it being a success.  But if the Pens are trying to make money off, forcing kids to attend Excel, and pay for the team and tuition then it won't work cause it will just become too expensive.