Ppe 18u prep?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 1:36 PM, Danner27 said:

The unfortunate part, the average consumer is not educated. 
the main reason NC has any hockey players is to try and get a leg up for PPE. They are all their for that reason. The ones that say they are not are the ones who’s kids did not or could not make PPE. This year they have separated PPE players for EXCEL / NC in the looker rooms even though they all go out on the ice together. Yes segregation lmao! Part of the reason was to keep what the ppe kids do on the down low. (remember a very highly recruited 03 smoking pot last year and the locker room fight ?) now this topic will soon be removed. 

C'mon man!  That is blatantly false!  These kids share the same locker rooms whether you're  a NC/PPE player, if you go to Excel, they share everything.  The Excel program is good, you might not like the people who run it or the way they run it, but kids do enjoy it and get better.  It is a lot of on ice, maybe too much! The off ice program is one of the best in the area though.  I don't have a problem with people having opinions, but be honest and truthful, don't lie about something  to fit your narrative!

The truth about NC is, and probably why they agreed to the Excel model is, when NC built the school in Cranberry, they thought enrollment would be higher initially then what it was.  This helped enrollment by 50 or so kids, do the math and adds up to a significant amount of additional revenue. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, Danner27 said:

Go use EP to look at your teams. You are correct about one thing, the second esmark 18u kid quit esmark. Your top 6 scorers are all on that team because they tried to make the pens. I personally know some of these families. 

I’ll always call it “CW North Catholic”. Funny how fast that CW came off the sign and the story went away in two days. 

your kid didn’t make PPE or ESMARK. Go sit in the corner and make up more excuses how “pure” the CWNC varsity team is. 

What does "CW" have to do with anything?  The school did the right thing and your saying that as it's something bad!  If they would have waited and left it on there longer, you would of complained that they didn't take it off quick enough.  It's sad and disgusting what happened.  Having a hard time seeing what that has to do with anything hockey, no matter where you play or what school you go to!!!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:07 AM, PuckHead7 said:

Personally, I don’t think that they should allow the prep team players to play high school. Excel is on the ice and in the gym four days a week. The prep team will probably practice two/three days a week and be in the gym two days a week. They are also slated to play 50 games. Where is the time for schoolwork and downtime?

The prep team is on the ice and in the gym four days a week.  Essentially the same schedule as Excel but don't have PPE practice at night.  Can you imagine this board if the Prep team participated in PIHL?  This board would go up in flames!  For that reason alone, I hope they stay away from PIHL.

51 minutes ago, Hockey1 said:

The prep team is on the ice and in the gym four days a week.  Essentially the same schedule as Excel but don't have PPE practice at night.  Can you imagine this board if the Prep team participated in PIHL?  This board would go up in flames!  For that reason alone, I hope they stay away from PIHL.

I know that to be partly true.  But, DB @Danner27 @The Kingthinks that they F’ing know everything.

How can they not have PPE (Prep) practice at night?

If the, loosely named, Prep Team is required to do Excel, they will be on the ice M-TH and in the gym M-TH with Excel.  Fact is, those aren’t team practices or workouts. They will still need team practices and team workouts.  These will obviously require additional ice sessions.  Those specifics are not laid out in the Prep information.  So, we will guess that they will have 3 team practices and 2 more gym sessions.  That’s basically 7 ice sessions a week and maybe 6 gym sessions for the Prep team. Add in 50+ games, ACADEMICS and down time (also know as recovery time), when are they going to have time to play high school varsity hockey for NC?

But hey, what the F do I know?  My dumbass didn’t know that a “Prep” team practices five day a week. ?

@Hockey1 yep, fact, Excel shares the same locker room and everyday they are on the ice and in the gym with different kids.  The same group is never together every day!  Also, I never alluded to the entire prep team playing in PIHL.  That would be stupid.  

Edited by PuckHead7

4 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

And what's wrong with playing for Slippery Rock or Pitt or RMU or IUP or other top 30 ACHA Programs ? 

Last time I checked playing Division III does not include paying A LOT of money just to go to school including hockey 

Nothing at all. What is wrong is being so cutthroat about all of this. My point is in the end, what does it get you?

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Can we just put this notion of the prep team playing in pihl to rest. It's a Pens team, not a school team. 

Wow, the question wasn’t if the team would play PIHL or not.  The question was, will PPE give the players that play on the Prep team the option to play for the NC varsity team.

Edited by PuckHead7

6 hours ago, Hockey1 said:

What does "CW" have to do with anything?  The school did the right thing and your saying that as it's something bad!  If they would have waited and left it on there longer, you would of complained that they didn't take it off quick enough.  It's sad and disgusting what happened.  Having a hard time seeing what that has to do with anything hockey, no matter where you play or what school you go to!!!

This individual seems to have some issue with (in no particular order):

1) North Catholic High School
2) North Catholic’s Hockey team
3) the Pittsburgh Pens Elite 
4) Excel Academy

go figure...

• Like 1

People are confused, and rightfully so! This is not truly prep hockey and people can’t understand why the NC students that make up this team won’t actually represent the school. They don’t have to play PIHL to represent the school either. This “prep” team should be in contention for a national championship and NC should be recognized because it’s their students. Unfortunately, they appear to be more concerned about the money.

So, as it is, this is a Pittsburgh Penguins elite team or an excel hockey academy team...a money making gimmick. They have the technicalities figured out, as they always do, and are manipulating their way to more $$$ and NC is coming along for the ride, lucky them! 

I think we’d all agree that Shattuck St Mary’s has the premiere hockey prep program in the country, right? The prestige, the point, the objective though is to provide a great education while being part of THEIR hockey tradition...TO REPRESENT THE SCHOOL! Imagine if you went to school there and then played for the Minnesota Wild Elite Prep team. It is not the same thing and would absolutely change how people viewed Shattuck hockey!

Ppe are doing their thing and this time it gets them an extra 18u team, gets them more Excel $$$ and NC gets to be a serious financial beneficiary with the enrollment of an entire PPE team. Unfortunately, NC and its students will not be acknowledged for the success of the players that attend their school.

Call it prep when they’re wearing the NC logo or when the Pittsburgh Penguins open a school, otherwise gimme a break with this prep talk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PPEFAN said:

Unfortunately, NC and its students will not be acknowledged for the success of the players that attend their school.

The Excel kids attend NC on an abbreviated schedule, not unlike kids at public school who go to Vo-tech, if you think about it. I doubt the students really care if they are “acknowledged for the success of the players that attend their school“. NC has many other sports to be proud of including their current PIHL team. What the Excel kids do probably isn’t even on their radar. 

• Like 2

I'll bet it makes for a great social atmosphere at the school. The kids who attend the school by choice and the kids who are mandated to attend. And I would be willing to wager that if an in depth audit were ever performed, you would find that ones whom are mandated to attend are paying less than those going by choice. Just my opinion but..........

2 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

I just don't understand why you think players on a Prep team would also want to play at a lower level for the same school's Varsity team haha. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Simple...because 5 top level players from Esmark play for THEIR high schools....and none of those schools are even AAA.

And why do you think Pens Elite stopped allowing it?
Because too many wanted to do it.

So the evidence suggests that even though PIHL Varsity is not the same level as Youth Tier I AAA...those players still seem to want to play for their high school....and I don’t think that PPE U18 Prep team is going to be much different than the caliber of Esmark and Pens Elite.

Edited by hockeydeke

26 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

The Excel kids attend NC on an abbreviated schedule, not unlike kids at public school who go to Vo-tech, if you think about it

The difference being that a Vo-Tech program actually prepares young people with a means with which to support themselves whereas the drinking the kool-aid simply provides them with................... well, nothing more than how to suckle on the teat of their parents into their mid-20's or longer

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Understood, but what happens when there are inevitable scheduling conflicts since Western PA doesn't have split season teams? I guarantee that the Esmark players will be at every Esmark practice/game, leaving their high school teams without their best players. This is why the PIHL will always pale in comparison to AAA and AA hockey.

Those conflicts have always existed even before Pens Elite banned players from playing for their High Schools at the same time.

All I am saying is there are plenty of kids playing schedule intensive AAA AND still playing for their high schools...even some high level AAA players.  When you add in the proximity of the rink to the school AND the fact that both will be at the same rink...it’s not hard to imagine more than a couple of U18Prep playing for NC.

We will see I guess.  Who knows whether PPE will even allow it...so it may be a moot question anyways.

12 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Different entities, different players. Zero crossover. Period. How hard is it to understand that the Prep players are there to live the dream and line the pockets. The school players are there to get an education and be student athletes. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Agree!  Plus it’s just too much hockey.  Fact, only a couple 02 and older kids attend Excel this year.  None of the kids from the current 18U PPE team attend Excel.  I’m pretty sure that some of the varsity team do not attend.  Nor do the couple that are on the Esmark team.  I think that it would be very interesting to see the grades and track records of both groups.  The ones that want to be at NC and the ones that are semi forced to be there.

23 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Different entities, different players. Zero crossover. Period. How hard is it to understand that the Prep players are there to live the dream and line the pockets. The school players are there to get an education and be student athletes. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

And, of course, there's also the inevitable question of why the whole thing is such a big deal to so many who aren't directly affected. If the kids' families have the money to pay-to-play, and it matter that much to them, so be it. It's on the kids and their parents to do the research and be properly informed.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

And, of course, there's also the inevitable question of why the whole thing is such a big deal to so many who aren't directly affected. If the kids' families have the money to pay-to-play, and it matter that much to them, so be it. It's on the kids and their parents to do the research and be properly informed.

This same debate or complaint plays out across multiple levels of hockey across the country.  Just look at Tier 3 Junior hockey...its a mess...but people still “pay and play”

In fact almost any youth/amateur sport is subjected to this...Hockey is just more expensive than most because of what is required to play it.

Regardless, if someone builds a product other people are willing to buy...so what.

More power to them.

1 hour ago, Ynot02 said:

The Excel kids attend NC on an abbreviated schedule, not unlike kids at public school who go to Vo-tech, if you think about it. I doubt the students really care if they are “acknowledged for the success of the players that attend their school“. NC has many other sports to be proud of including their current PIHL team. What the Excel kids do probably isn’t even on their radar. 

..... and believe it or not, it's a good school, hence kids that have quit Excel stick around. It's not pihl hockey keeping them there, it's a quality education with a lot to offer. As far as sports at the school, Football does and always will reign supreme.