Ppe 18u prep?

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:14 AM, RegDunlop7 said:

Prep hockey is played at a much higher level than Western PA Varsity hockey. A true Prep team would never play in the PIHL.

Someone had mentioned earlier "could/would the prep team play in the PIHL", my point was basically the same is essentially the same as you are saying, that it would never happen.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:01 AM, PPEFAN said:

People are confused, and rightfully so! This is not truly prep hockey and people can’t understand why the NC students that make up this team won’t actually represent the school. They don’t have to play PIHL to represent the school either. This “prep” team should be in contention for a national championship and NC should be recognized because it’s their students. Unfortunately, they appear to be more concerned about the money.

So, as it is, this is a Pittsburgh Penguins elite team or an excel hockey academy team...a money making gimmick. They have the technicalities figured out, as they always do, and are manipulating their way to more $$$ and NC is coming along for the ride, lucky them! 

I think we’d all agree that Shattuck St Mary’s has the premiere hockey prep program in the country, right? The prestige, the point, the objective though is to provide a great education while being part of THEIR hockey tradition...TO REPRESENT THE SCHOOL! Imagine if you went to school there and then played for the Minnesota Wild Elite Prep team. It is not the same thing and would absolutely change how people viewed Shattuck hockey!

Ppe are doing their thing and this time it gets them an extra 18u team, gets them more Excel $$$ and NC gets to be a serious financial beneficiary with the enrollment of an entire PPE team. Unfortunately, NC and its students will not be acknowledged for the success of the players that attend their school.

Call it prep when they’re wearing the NC logo or when the Pittsburgh Penguins open a school, otherwise gimme a break with this prep talk

Part of the reason for putting  a prep team together is for those kids who aren't ready to go to their USHL team, haven't been drafted yet, or don't want to leave to go play in the NAHL or another prep school out east or to SSM.  This allows the kid to stay home, and not leave earlier than they need to.  There were a few kids off of last years PPE 16U team I believe who wanted to go to college, didn't have a offer yet, or were drafted by an OHL or USHL team and weren't ready to be called up yet.  If they had a local option with good coaching and development they could of stayed home and not go to a league that they weren't ready for.  Call it a money grab all you want, I challenge you to tell me a hockey program or hockey institution that operates for non-profit, or doesn't charge kids to play hockey.  This is an age old argument, hockey is too expensive!  Doesn't matter where you go to play and as long as USA hockey is involved it will remain that way.  I think it's another option (which is good) for kids, and one that keeps them home if they aren't ready to leave.

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

since the Pens Elite will field both 18U Prep and 18U Midget teams

The Prep team will replace the current 18U team. They are barely fielding one team this year, how will they possibly field 2 next year? Would anyone possibly consider their "second team" over Esmark 18U? No way considering they are currently choosing Esmark over the 1st team in many cases.

4 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

The Prep team will replace the current 18U team. They are barely fielding one team this year, how will they possibly field 2 next year? Would anyone possibly consider their "second team" over Esmark 18U? No way considering they are currently choosing Esmark over the 1st team in many cases.

You people still don’t get it. As for choosing esmark of PPE, if you are a parent it’s a no brainer, PPE. upmc is the only building in Pittsburgh any real scouts are at, the training is superior. Take a look at esmark’s 18u Player stats. It’s been well known if you are not in their top 6 forward or top 4 d you are not going to play much. Like a pro team, lines 3 & 4 are checking / defensive lines, That’s why they win. In my opinion turning players into that at 17&18 is bad for the development. PPE does not do this. 

why does making the team “prep” make any difference re: the kids who they get? this year’s 18u team plays against competitive teams and they r seen by scouts - but they still didn’t get top players. why will they get them just by calling the team “prep”?

16 minutes ago, RegDunlop7 said:

If the Pens Elite field two separate 18U teams next season (Prep and Midget), I'd 100% choose Esmark if I didn't make Prep. Esmark's 18U team will be 10x better than the Pens Elite 18U Midget team -- and scouts would focus on the Prep team.

So you would rather your kid play on a better ranked  team but get stuck with grinder defensive work and less playing time ? How does that help the player to develop ? These kids need to develop their skill sets. Getting “pro” 3rd & 4th line minutes in youth hockey won’t do that. 

the scouts are watching ALL PPE. It’s the only building the scouts goto when they come to Pittsburgh, Mr Morehouse makes sure of that. 

esmark doesn’t have a nutritionist, They do not have a power skating coach. they encourage their players to play school hockey so they get more ice time and reps. Esmark midget teams are only on the ice twice a week. there is only so much ice they can get from pia. Who really wants to drive out to the ghetto in new kenn ? cranberry is pretty central for most people and easy highway driving. Unless you live by pia it’s a nightmare to get there from the north, south and west.

i agree with you, esmark’s midget teams are for real but if you're looking for your kid to develop, PPE is the far better option. PPE 18U next season won’t be the train wreck it is this year. They have already starting the recruiting process for the 18’s and most of the prep team.

17 minutes ago, RegDunlop7 said:

If the Pens Elite field two separate 18U teams next season (Prep and Midget), I'd 100% choose Esmark if I didn't make Prep. Esmark's 18U team will be 10x better than the Pens Elite 18U Midget team -- and scouts would focus on the Prep team.

Don’t forget, you have to attend NC to be able to be on the PPE Prep team.  Esmark will still be a very good team, but probably number 2 in Pgh.  Also, high end scouts attend Pens and Esmark games.  All this crap about them not seeing Esmark players is untrue.  Why in the hell would they only flock to PPE when PPE doesn’t have all of the best players in Pgh. ?

1 minute ago, PuckHead7 said:

Don’t forget, you have to attend NC to be able to be on the PPE Prep team.  Esmark will still be a very good team, but probably number 2 in Pgh.  Also, high end scouts attend Pens and Esmark games.  All this crap about them not seeing Esmark players is untrue.  Why in the hell would they only flock to PPE when PPE doesn’t have all of the best players in Pgh. ?

Mr morehosue makes sure the scouts come to cranberry. The only age group Esmark has better players is the 18s. Trust when I tell you no OHL, USHL or NAHL scout is hanging out at PIA. My kids have played for both programs. The only “scout” you will ever see at pia is good ol local grumpy bob g. 

At 18U, some players are aware that there really is no next level for them other than ACHA or D3. There is something to be said for their insight and also for the fact maybe being a "grinder" on the better team is more fun because they win more games. Even at the U16 level at PPE, the 3rd and 4th liners are not getting near as much scout attention as the top 6 and if you really believe that THEY are rolling 4 lines....... you're sadly mistaken.

can someone answer why making the team 18u “prep” rather than 18u will make the team better or more desireable for players? right now the 18u team plays the same prep teams as the 16u does. what will make the team different next year just because it’s called “prep”?  either way it just depends on the players the team gets. why will adding the word prep mean the team gets the better players?

and i get that some drafted players intend to stay back and play 18u next year rather than not getting much play team at juniors. things are changing and this is true for all high ranked 18u teams - not just PE. but wouldn’t these players still do so regardless of if the team is called prep?? why were they not able to get the good players last year (hence the low ranking) but be able to this year since it’s prep? same great rink and program last year.

4 minutes ago, g8586 said:

can someone answer why making the team 18u “prep” rather than 18u will make the team better or more desireable for players? right now the 18u team plays the same prep teams as the 16u does. what will make the team different next year just because it’s called “prep”?  either way it just depends on the players the team gets. why will adding the word prep mean the team gets the better players?

I don't get it either.  It is almost like they are forming the team for the benefit of North Catholic.  Trying to give those attending NC/Excel a reason to stay at North Catholic after U16.  Or maybe if they get pushed off the team after U15 they can stay at North Catholic and play prep.

14 minutes ago, twoboys said:

I don't get it either.  It is almost like they are forming the team for the benefit of North Catholic.  Trying to give those attending NC/Excel a reason to stay at North Catholic after U16.  Or maybe if they get pushed off the team after U15 they can stay at North Catholic and play prep.

You people will never understand it’s been explained. 

Danner wow! you are a spaz. I do get it - first hand by the way - and understand that 18u prep has nothing to do with NC hockey. but my questions above have in no way been answered in this thread. you seem to know everything about everything- so can you answer? please see my two posts above. 

you and danner27 are really intense about youth hockey. can someone else answer my questions above (basically why the word prep or mandating NC changes anything)? what i know first hand is about how no decisions made by PPE have anything to do with NC or excel hockey players who do not play PPE or are not PPE caliber. I do not know the answer to the questions I posed. Anyone have insight on this other than King or Danner? They don’t provide information they just try to stir the pot!!! why are you two on here anyway since you don’t like what anyone else has to say!!! chill out a bit maybe???? Can someone else respond??

1 hour ago, The King said:

You know first hand? Then why come on a message board and ask questions with answers that have already been given? Trolling maybe? Or just wishing real hard to be an insider? Any answer as to what the 2nd 18U team will be is strictly speculation. Call the teams anything you want. Ultimately, the leagues they compete in and schedules they play, along with how the talent is placed will determine what the composition of the team are and what these teams become will happen organically. What I don’t get is, why all of you filled 7 pages on this thread asking repetitive questions when @Danner27and myself answered all of them in a couple posts? All you have to do is step away from your bias and you’ll understand what the motivations are and how you all are being lead by the nose. Sorry to be so blunt but you guys need to worry more about how little control you have over your kids hockey decisions and how irrelevant the governing bodies have made any level below Tier 1. Get off the message board and actually do something

Some of Danner’s early posts contained quite a bit of uninformed misinformation...so it took awhile to sort that out ?

• Like 1

they both just keep bringing up non topics. maybe they are the same person! king keeps talking about the governing bodies making anything below tier I not relevant. that’s not an issue here. And Danner has said ten times that none of us “get it”.  But neither offer anything substantive.

My question is why 18u “prep” will or could yield a different result than this year’s 18u model. i get that more money will go to all involved because of NC being mandatory but how else is the new team more attractive so that the good players will now want PE at 18u. I think PE offers great training, etc.  I’m just trying to see if anyone has information about what makes the new prep team different. thanks!

5 minutes ago, g8586 said:

they both just keep bringing up non topics. maybe they are the same person! king keeps talking about the governing bodies making anything below tier I not relevant. that’s not an issue here. And Danner has said ten times that none of us “get it”.  But neither offer anything substantive.

My question is why 18u “prep” will or could yield a different result than this year’s 18u model. i get that more money will go to all involved because of NC being mandatory but how else is the new team more attractive so that the good players will now want PE at 18u. I think PE offers great training, etc.  I’m just trying to see if anyone has information about what makes the new prep team different. thanks!

Good questions.  Can you have a true “prep” team if it is essentially “Excel Academy”...where the “Academy” isn’t really an academic one?  Assuming that is the brand...if it is branded as PPE then frankly they can play prep schools now...so indeed what is the difference?

and if the Excel is mandatory...(do we even know that for sure?) is that going to attract players or turn them away?

will they let the “prep” players play high school at the and time?

lots of questions to answer.

The new “Prep” team will be owned and operated by the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite. They are to wear Black and Gold uniforms with the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins logo on the chest, not red and white uniforms like North Catholic HS as they are not a team run by or associated with North Catholic High School.  The stipulations to be on said team are to, 1) attend North Catholic High School 2) attend Excel Academy (a program that exists because of NCHS.)  I think that we can all agree that the above statements are, from what we can read, 100% fact.

Now to the point of this post.  How can a private 501(c)(3) corporation, backed back the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins, require all players from said team to attend a Catholic high school.  I’m not a attorney, but this seems to open up a huge can of worms.

Edited by OrrWhat