Hunt Armory Ice Rink

• 1 year later...

THE PENGUINS RECEIVED A GRANT

"Placing a rink in the Armory would not only allow for new and cost-free athletic opportunities for city youth but follow the wishes of Shadyside neighbors who have long called for public skating in this historic and underused building. I'm happy these long-delayed plans are finally coming together," Mayor William Peduto said.

So does this mean that other local rinks will now be providing a cost-free athletic program?

• Are you sure? 1

19 hours ago, Saucey said:

The link to the presentation indicates other uses in addition to it. It doesn't have much seating for an audience, so maybe not much parking is anticipated. I think it is a very exciting development.

Back when a large and well-known local development company was involved in the development plans, I knew one of the managers on that project. They had planned to provide essentially zero parking. The guy told me that they would have parking arrangements with the parking garages across the busway from the rink, which is a terrible idea if you're going to be playing hockey there. Reading the presentation, I see that this is still pretty much the plan.

I know that Peduto says that locals have been asking for skating there. I wonder how much the local residents will love the constant hourly inflow and outflow of vehicles as teams arrive and depart for games.

I don't see why it couldn't have parking even under the roof. This building is enormous - 56,000 SF, or 1.84 acres.

Fun fact - Led Zeppelin played a concert there in 1969.

Edited by Lifelongbender
I finally read the darned presentation!

20 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

THE PENGUINS RECEIVED A GRANT

"Placing a rink in the Armory would not only allow for new and cost-free athletic opportunities for city youth but follow the wishes of Shadyside neighbors who have long called for public skating in this historic and underused building. I'm happy these long-delayed plans are finally coming together," Mayor William Peduto said.

So does this mean that other local rinks will now be providing a cost-free athletic program?

Those that are not city youth would pay?

The original plans and the plans the second developer submitted had them building a second level in the building and parking on the ground floor for aroung 150 paid spots. That alone was going to make that development money if the redevelopment authority sold the building at a decent price and gave some tax breaks. The ice rink just needed to break even along with the parking each plan had some additional developments like office space or apartments. I think I even said on here that this project may move along now that Peduto is on his way out. Lot of people trying to get rich off this project. I hope it goes through, another rink is good for all. We will see how it used and managed. 

1 hour ago, mrfreeze said:

The original plans and the plans the second developer submitted had them building a second level in the building and parking on the ground floor for aroung 150 paid spots. That alone was going to make that development money if the redevelopment authority sold the building at a decent price and gave some tax breaks. The ice rink just needed to break even along with the parking each plan had some additional developments like office space or apartments. I think I even said on here that this project may move along now that Peduto is on his way out. Lot of people trying to get rich off this project. I hope it goes through, another rink is good for all. We will see how it used and managed. 

I think the key here is parking. Think $5 for 150 spots. Parking turn over every 2 hours. 12 hours on a weekend. Six on a week day.  Guessing the Pittsburgh Police will ticket people street parking to make it acceptable for the area residents forcing users to pay. That's about $20K a week. Even if my numbers are off by 2Xs. It is still $10K.

6 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

If people are foolish enough to keep giving you money you can do what you want.  Ask governor wolf ?

"Stop the steal."  

And I quote - "If people are foolish enough to keep giving you money you can do what you want."  Your guy is still spreading the big lie while asking for money and living in FL.  What do you think, Q?  Have you sent your donation yet?  Order your Trump logo underwear yet?

As usual you bringing politics and your warped view into this makes zero sense - a big swing and a miss as always.  Your hypocrisy has no boundaries.  

?

Now, back to the subject at hand.

Edited by fafa fohi

On 7/20/2021 at 9:51 AM, fafa fohi said:

"Stop the steal."  

And I quote - "If people are foolish enough to keep giving you money you can do what you want."  Your guy is still spreading the big lie while asking for money and living in FL.  What do you think, Q?  Have you sent your donation yet?  Order your Trump logo underwear yet?

As usual you bringing politics and your warped view into this makes zero sense - a big swing and a miss as always.  Your hypocrisy has no boundaries.  

?

Now, back to the subject at hand.

Trump wasted plenty of money too.  Who said anything about him?  Touchy aren't we? ❄️

Government waste knows no party bounds. 

The Hunt Armory rink looks like it is also going to be bound up in some sort of government waste too.  

• 5 weeks later...

Look over here everyone, look what we're doing for diversity in hockey. Pay no mind to the 10 years and counting for those folks who were told the old Mellon Arena site would be redeveloped to help their community. You think they care about an ice rink that's 3 bus rides away? Me thinks they'd much rather have what they were promised.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

6 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Look over here everyone, look what we're doing for diversity in hockey. Pay no mind to the 10 years and counting for those folks who were told the old Mellon Arena site would be redeveloped to help their community. You think they care about an ice rink that's 3 bus rides away? Me thinks they'd much rather have what they were promised.

That situation is definitely a black mark on the Pens organization.