Hunt Armory Ice Rink

23 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Look over here everyone, look what we're doing for diversity in hockey. Pay no mind to the 10 years and counting for those folks who were told the old Mellon Arena site would be redeveloped to help their community. You think they care about an ice rink that's 3 bus rides away? Me thinks they'd much rather have what they were promised.

Well said.  It is sad to realize that the core of those Cup teams will all be retired before the "redevelopment" is completed.

14 hours ago, hockey57410 said:

Well said.  It is sad to realize that the core of those Cup teams will all be retired before the "redevelopment" is completed.

Maybe the redevelopment plan is to use the site for the successor to PPG Arena?  At this rate the time frame works out ? 

• ROTF 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

There is a lot of push back from the neighborhood. One has to ask a question though, with all of the hoops that are in need of being jumped through for this, what is the reward at the end?

I dunno, but a wise man once said, "Follow the money"! cuz it's not about providing opportunities for the youth.

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

According to the map, a 10 minute walk to the rink?  Some of the larger hockey parents might have heart attacks on the way over. 

Bikeable?  I'm having a good time imagining everyone throwing your gear on your bike and pedaling on over.  Whoever wrote this must be from the south where there is no snow.

• ROTF 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, with all of the effort that has been put forth for this to happen is it safe to assume that the recent news of the Penguins sale was an impulse move?

It seems like Burkle and 66 must have been sitting there recently and said to each other....... well, the team sucks right now and we can't sell tickets to anyone. Time to sell and let it be someone else's problem.

Oh..... and just to belabor another point, I guess this group will go down in history of having completely failed the very community that they promised a complete redevelopment of their neighborhood.

16 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

So, with all of the effort that has been put forth for this to happen is it safe to assume that the recent news of the Penguins sale was an impulse move?

It seems like Burkle and 66 must have been sitting there recently and said to each other....... well, the team sucks right now and we can't sell tickets to anyone. Time to sell and let it be someone else's problem.

Oh..... and just to belabor another point, I guess this group will go down in history of having completely failed the very community that they promised a complete redevelopment of their neighborhood.

I hear rumor that this group is very interested in the redevelopment aspect of the project and it is one of their specialties.  Apparently they redeveloped the area around Fenway when they took over. At least that's what I heard. I hope it's true.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:45 PM, Racchi’s Rug said:

Arenas and stadiums have 30-40 year shelf lives. The fact that there’s nothing to do but do to the Souper Bowl or 5th Ave. Cafe in the immediate vicinity of the arena ten years in is a disgrace. 

If the new arena was built in Cranberry, the redevelopment would've been waaay faster. 

• Barf 1

Looks like they have some ice time scheduled for the Hunt Armory starting 11/29/21.  Not to far away. I'm surprised they haven't done any advertising about it.  Looks like some Little Pens learn to skate programs.  I'll be interested to see it.  Might have to stop in for a public skate.  Looks like those start 12/3/21.  Will be nice to see a new sheet of ice.