Hunt Armory Ice Rink

Visitors are urged to arrive at the building at 324 Emerson Street by walking, biking or public transit - all transit options are available for review at the city's Transit app. Motorists can use the Eastside Bond Garage and take a free shuttle to the rink during public skating sessions. More details are available at huntarmoryicerink.com.

Now all they need long term is to build an indoor Parking garage.  I would pay to park on site!

Everyone is complaining about the parking. It is set in an urban setting, and the main anticipated user appears to be people who live in the City and use public transportation. 

People who have to drive into the City aren't the audience.

At some point, this will be addressed, I am sure. I am glad they got it up and running and I hope it gets some kids playing who wouldn't have had the opportunity otherwise.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

Everyone is complaining about the parking. It is set in an urban setting, and the main anticipated user appears to be people who live in the City and use public transportation. 

At some point, this will be addressed, I am sure. I am glad they got it up and running and I hope it gets some kids playing who wouldn't have had the opportunity otherwise.

People who use public transportation are going to rent enough ice to sustain this full time, year around?   Or the Pens have that much programming?   

• Like 3
  • 100 1

55 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

People who use public transportation are going to rent enough ice to sustain this full time, year around?   Or the Pens have that much programming?   

No clue dude. I just figured all the hand wringing is a bit much considering the stated main purpose of the rink. The outdoor city rinks don't concern themselves with renting every minute at a high cost. Maybe this is similar. It's not just Pen's ownership.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, Saucey said:

I know Chatham has offered to run shuttles.  Central is supposed to have ice there too.  Not sure what their plan is.  I would think at least for this season they may have more introductory programming.  If it ever turns into a typical ice rink they will need parking. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, twoboys said:

I know Chatham has offered to run shuttles.  Central is supposed to have ice there too.  Not sure what their plan is.  I would think at least for this season they may have more introductory programming.  If it ever turns into a typical ice rink they will need parking. 

The neighborhood is a dense residential neighborhood with narrow streets and no open space. They have trouble parking for the businesses already in the area. Even if they were to put parking under the roof, which had been an early rumor, the local street grid probably can't support the kind of traffic two teams playing every hour or so would generate. It's not a problem they can easily address.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

The neighborhood is a dense residential neighborhood with narrow streets and no open space. They have trouble parking for the businesses already in the area. Even if they were to put parking under the roof, which had been an early rumor, the local street grid probably can't support the kind of traffic two teams playing every hour or so would generate. It's not a problem they can easily address.

So why bother if it's too much trouble?  Why do the Penguins need to look good in the community?  The people this is meant for aren't the ones buying tickets to Pens games!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So why bother if it's too much trouble?  Why do the Penguins need to look good in the community?  The people this is meant for aren't the ones buying tickets to Pens games!

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2021/11/22/Hunt-Armory-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Shadyside-Emerson-Street-Urban-Redevelopment-Authority-Bill-Peduto-National-Hockey-league/stories/202111220145#:~:text=For decades%2C the armory%2C opened,the state two years ago.

Who actually owns it? Looks like combined endeavor. I don't think it is the Pens alone. Good article with more info on intended uses. I heard the demand for the programming already is high, which is great!

People who live in the City do go to games, watch on tv, buy merch. Not everyone in the City is poor.  ? The suburban entitlement on display in this thread is great. The article mentions the new owners hopefully making even more investments, so hopefully, parking sometime in the future.

20 minutes ago, Saucey said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2021/11/22/Hunt-Armory-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Shadyside-Emerson-Street-Urban-Redevelopment-Authority-Bill-Peduto-National-Hockey-league/stories/202111220145#:~:text=For decades%2C the armory%2C opened,the state two years ago.

Who actually owns it? Looks like combined endeavor. I don't think it is the Pens alone. Good article with more info on intended uses. I heard the demand for the programming already is high, which is great!

People who live in the City do go to games, watch on tv, buy merch. Not everyone in the City is poor.  ? The suburban entitlement on display in this thread is great. The article mentions the new owners hopefully making even more investments, so hopefully, parking sometime in the future.

That is a great article!  Hopefully it all works this year and the new owners decide to invest in it as a full time endeavor and develop some parking.  The original proposal allowed for about 115 parking spaces. Charge 10.00 to park and make your money back relatively quickly I would think!

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

People who live in the City do go to games, watch on tv, buy merch. Not everyone in the City is poor. 

Especially in the immediate area of the rink! But parking and access is difficult here. You can't seriously believe that two teams worth of players are going to ride a bus to this location every hour all day Saturday and Sunday. What if they play Armstrong, or State College?

Look, its a cool building and I'm really happy for new ice in the area. I just have concerns about how well it will work, I hope I am wrong on it. To that end, it's worth noting that Led Zeppelin once played a concert in this building. Surely those people had to park, too. Although they didn't have to carry equipment several blocks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

? The suburban entitlement on display in this thread is great. 

Good point.  All the people living in the same Ryan/Heartland/Etc. homes.  Garage on the left, Garage on the right.... cul de sac. The same people who live in Bethel Park or Robinson and tell people they're from "Pittsburgh"

LOL

We all know the best hockey players only live in the North Hills and South Hills!

9 hours ago, Birddog said:

https://www.facebook.com/100022757365011/posts/857556058346298/.

Dont know if you guys can open this.

Looks like TK is going to be involved.

Looks great!  TK is hustling out there for sure!  Mine has taken a few classes with TK at Ice Castle or Mt Lebo a few years ago.  A little disapointed that he wasn't there but the instructors he had there were pretty good.

• 1 month later...