Hunt Armory Ice Rink

Anyone know if they're still planning to build a regulation-sized ice rink in the Hunt Armory in Shadyside? Haven't heard any updates for awhile. I see parking/traffic being an issue down there, but wonder which organizations/teams would use Hunt Armory as their home rink? I would guess at least Chatham and Pitt.

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Anyone know if they're still planning to build a regulation-sized ice rink in the Hunt Armory in Shadyside? Haven't heard any updates for awhile. I see parking/traffic being an issue down there, but wonder which organizations/teams would use Hunt Armory as their home rink? I would guess at least Chatham and Pitt.

Sounds like Pitt just shot down any possibility of having NCAA hockey. They are building new stuff for volleyball.

I've heard conflicting rumors about this, some from people in a very good position to know. I'd love to hear the truth on it, too.

I don't see how six hockey teams could drive to, park at, and then get out of the Armory at the same time (if they use the typical two on the ice, two coming in as two leave model). I'd heard they were planning to park cars under the Armory's roof, but I then heard that was off the table. And I just don't see how the neighborhood roads can handle that level of traffic.

Cool building though.

One of the guys I know sent me to this website when I just asked him:

http://www.perkinseastman.com/project_3432843_hunt_armory_ice_complex

And to this website as well:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-design/hunt-armory-ice-rink-office-development-moves-forward-thanks-to-state-grant/

The key takeaway is a paragraph near the bottom:

"Once completed, the new and improved complex will be centered around two skating rinks — an NHL regulation-sized rink and a smaller, 100-by-60-foot rink."

That's one sheet of hockey-suitable ice. It would appear that parking is planned for indoors.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jjinson said:

There is an issue with these plans though... how are you going to be getting a zamboni on the ice?

Well, I assume that if you can build a sheet of ice and a refrigeration plant this way, you can get the Zamboni up there, too. Hard to imagine they missed that in their considerations.

Dumber things HAVE happened, though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Really like this design. I've seen different plans, but this one definitely stands out as the best in my opinion.

I agree 100%. This design takes care of one of the crippling issues that site would have had - parking. I can't see any way to make the Armory work without parking vehicles inside the building, under roof. I also read that the City/County/DOT have committed to upgrading the local road there. Because access to this location is the other crippling issue. It is not going to be an easy site to get into and out of, and I bet the locals come to hate the rink almost immediately because of the traffic.

Edited by Lifelongbender

12 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

Pitt will be Division 1 one day and the Pete was build to flip to ice.

ACC will have a D 1 Hockey Conference to go with their TV Network like the Big 10.

WVU the same.

RMU is raising money to build a rink next to the new Basketball Arena when’s  that happens don’t know.

Other than the RMU portion, this post is one of the most ludicrous posts I've seen in a long time. Do you how much time and effort Joe Battista spent trying to get a D1 program at Penn State? He built that club team from the ground up into a Perennial National power and still only got the D1 program done by an unexpected meeting with Terry Pegula.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/2012/10/14/The-vision-for-Penn-State-hockey-was-rooted-in-Penn-Hills/stories/201210140154

The chances of this happening at Pitt are slim, WVU slimmer and the whole ACC..........? Not a chance in hell.

12 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

Pitt will be Division 1 one day and the Pete was build to flip to ice.

ACC will have a D 1 Hockey Conference to go with their TV Network like the Big 10.

WVU the same.

RMU is raising money to build a rink next to the new Basketball Arena when’s  that happens don’t know.

The Pete was in no way built to be able to flip to ice.  It was opened in 2002 for basketball and graduation, and the basketball floor remains in tact and covered for concerts and other events.  It isn't a mobile floor like you have when Duquesne plays at PPG, etc.

41 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

The Pete was in no way built to be able to flip to ice.  It was opened in 2002 for basketball and graduation, and the basketball floor remains in tact and covered for concerts and other events.  It isn't a mobile floor like you have when Duquesne plays at PPG, etc.

Yeah, I'm afraid that @HereWithPopcorn is right on this one. The floor there is a permanent wood floor. There isn't going to be any ice hockey there in our lifetime.

On 1/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, RegDunlop7 said:

Does anyone on here realize what this is actually being built for? This will be the home of the Excel Academy - part 2 in conjunction with Central Catholic HS.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

Does anyone on here realize what this is actually being built for? This will be the home of the Excel Academy - part 2 in conjunction with Central Catholic HS.

Especially with the 2 win varsity team that central is carrying

Edited by Jjinson
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

I can't beleive the Pens/Excel will have anything to do with this rink or with CC.  

Believe it.

Did you look at the drawing? The Pens ARE involved!!! And so too will be CCHS.

For the same reason that North Catholic is.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not trying to make a joke. You can bank on it.

CCHS, it’s alumni and parents raises enough money through fundraising and the Viking Victory Auction to give a $1000 discount to EVERY student in the school.  Yes, the tuition is set and 1k is knocked off the price.  Don’t take it to the bank.  It’s not about $$$$.  I’d be very surprised if Central entered into an agreement with Excel.  Not their MO!

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

Believe it.

Did you look at the drawing? The Pens ARE involved!!! And so too will be CCHS.

For the same reason that North Catholic is.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not trying to make a joke. You can bank on it.

Wow, you were being serious?

I'll bite - so what?

Predicting that the Penguins might be involved in construction of a new rink is not exactly earth shattering. Of course they will.

• Like 1