Hunt Armory Ice Rink

29 minutes ago, dropthepuck said:

Didn't Moorehouse want CC to be home to Excel originally? I heard  a certain player didn't want to have his hair cut per school policy

Well I’m pretty sure that certain player also took the entry exam to get into central as well

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:56 PM, PeterThePuck said:

Pitt will be Division 1 one day and the Pete was build to flip to ice.

ACC will have a D 1 Hockey Conference to go with their TV Network like the Big 10.

WVU the same.

RMU is raising money to build a rink next to the new Basketball Arena when’s  that happens don’t know.

I will have to agree with the other folks here.  Pitt, NCAA hockey??  You have not been paying attention to what is going on this year have you?  Their D2 team folded half way through the year, and were playing games with only 10 skaters.  Their D1 team is doing very well, but really doesn't play anyone good I think their record is something like 28-2 and they are ranked 15th?), and they are having trouble keeping players too.  It looks like they had to pull a few kids from the D2 team in Jan to play D1 cause they had players leave (or just never pay their $$$), and some of the D2 players declined the invites and just left the program because of all the issues.  This is a program that used to have close to 100 kids at tryouts and this year had about 40?  I see nothing but trouble ahead for Pitt hockey and wouldn't be surprised when they still only have 1 team next year and they fold their club program in a couple of years.

WVU?  NCAA?  That is an even bigger joke.  Their club D1 and D2 teams pretty much got crushed every game the last 3 years by Pitt! 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:29 AM, dropthepuck said:

Didn't Moorehouse want CC to be home to Excel originally? I heard  a certain player didn't want to have his hair cut per school policy

Nope, CC was never an Option!  It would make zero sense!  Obviously you don't know that certain player very well because he could care less about his hair length!   Let it go man!  I have seen said kid and he's actually a really good player, better teammate and EVEN better person! So take your BS elsewhere and quit the hate and jealousy!!!

1 hour ago, Eddie Shore said:

I will have to agree with the other folks here.  Pitt, NCAA hockey??  You have not been paying attention to what is going on this year have you?  Their D2 team folded half way through the year, and were playing games with only 10 skaters.  Their D1 team is doing very well, but really doesn't play anyone good I think their record is something like 28-2 and they are ranked 15th?), and they are having trouble keeping players too.  It looks like they had to pull a few kids from the D2 team in Jan to play D1 cause they had players leave (or just never pay their $$$), and some of the D2 players declined the invites and just left the program because of all the issues.  This is a program that used to have close to 100 kids at tryouts and this year had about 40?  I see nothing but trouble ahead for Pitt hockey and wouldn't be surprised when they still only have 1 team next year and they fold their club program in a couple of years.

WVU?  NCAA?  That is an even bigger joke.  Their club D1 and D2 teams pretty much got crushed every game the last 3 years by Pitt! 

There have been extensive discussions about Pitt fielding a NCAA hockey team and so far they have no interest.  Word is the Pens even offered to let them use PPG until they had a rink up and running.  I would love to see Pitt get a D1 team, I think they would have the fan support, especially if they got an on campus arena...

• Like 1

What does Robert Morris draw per game (I guess I could look that up). I’m always surprised that they never ponied up or petitioned for a new barn. The ISC is still the second “best” rink in the region next to UPMC but if I were a kid being recruited I would take one look at ISC and think about going somewhere else judging by the capacity.

14 hours ago, Racchi’s Rug said:

What does Robert Morris draw per game (I guess I could look that up). I’m always surprised that they never ponied up or petitioned for a new barn. The ISC is still the second “best” rink in the region next to UPMC but if I were a kid being recruited I would take one look at ISC and think about going somewhere else judging by the capacity.

They had a perfect opportunity opportunity to build a duel purpose arena when they built the new b-ball arena on campus but didn’t want to spend/fundraise the money... could have been a game changer for the university!

59 minutes ago, RegDunlop7 said:

I've heard rumors that they're getting rid of the outdoor rinks at ISC and putting in bowl seating for RMU's D1 teams.

There is absolutely no way they would eliminate 50% of their revenue stream on those two outdoor surfaces to create more seating for the D1 team. Not to mention the outdoor rinks are on the complete opposite side of the facility as the Colonials rink. Please stop perpetuating ridiculously untrue rumors.

Edited by forbin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

50% of their revenue stream? Inline hockey isn't bringing in 50% of ISC's revenues. And the new D1 rink can still be used by amateur/HS ice hockey teams.

Lol why does that matter? They'll put the D1 facilities where the new rink is.

Every single RMU in-house team uses the outdoor ice rink for their practices and games. There are 250 mites alone each paying upwards of $750 per season. Then squirts through bantams which is at least $1k per kid. Not too mention it's being used for Foxes, as well as Montour/North Hills/Moon HS teams. That single outdoor ice surface probably generates the Island Sports Center about 2 million every season, and I am more than likely on the low side of that. Plus add on all the inline teams that use the other rink. Do you honestly think the RMU D1 team brings that kind of money (or would with more seating) to the facility? Eliminating those outdoor surfaces would be absolutely detrimental to RMU ISC business model and to Pittsburgh area youth hockey. There is no way they would allow that to happen. 

• Like 2

If they added seats on the bench side of the Colonial Arena that would only affect the parking lot to the side of the arena and would create a sort of contiguous bowl... If they added seats to the Olympic side and retrofitted it to NCAA standards that would take out the Stadium Rink. It would seem that the former is a better option than the latter. 

as far as ACHA local teams converting to NCAA such as Arizona State (and perhaps UNLV someday with the explosion of hockey popularity in Vegas/sharing a rink with the VGK) did I’d love to see it as a Pitt grad but doubt it happens ever. CHMA games don’t draw (the model isn’t made to draw fans it’s just to play post high school pre beer league haha)  and club sports don’t make any money for the university aside from the fees they pay to use the name and logo or whatever. If any ACHA schools are primed to go NCAA I’d wager on Kent or Ohio U but I’m just pulling those out of thin air since they recruit decently among ACHA players.

Edited by Racchi’s Rug

for all the reasons this is unlikely, the outdoor rink is of no concern what so ever. and the current situation of filling a 1200 seat rink is really not relevant either. but just for reference, a few years back, when RMU made the tournament, they were doing a pretty good job of filling the rink, but the team is not as good now as then and the top players from those teams did not pan out with their AHL signings. Either injury or ECHL demotion with an eventual exodus to Europe has been the norm. This can't be good for recruiting, as well as mentioned before, the arena is not top notch. 

BUT the idea of building a new facility, would have to be a driving force to better recruiting, which would most likely correspond with a conference shift. I could see the 7 team big 10 being a fit due to travel proximity of teams and easy rivalry with PSU and OSU. Simply joining the Big 10 would significantly increase attendance (mostly away fans at first) and increase the signing power of RMU. Better recruits, better hockey, better attendance, etc..

as racchi's rug points out above, blowing out the bench side wall and adding seating would make a lot of sense if it is structurally possible. They could then replace the existing bleachers with decent seats and turn the standing room area into a press box/media area. 

and while this reno would be significantly cheaper than a new rink, it would still require a large amount of donor money, which they couldn't seem to get when they were building a new basketball arena. not fitting that building for hockey pretty much sums it up. i find it extremely difficult to believe that anything will be done for RMU hockey. The mens team will find it harder to compete in the AHC and the womens team will probably suffer the same fate as other universities around the country boost their female athletic budgets. I mean, why would a young girl go to RMU to play at the ISC when they could go to PSU and play at the 'Pegulaworks'?

19 hours ago, forbin said:

Not too mention it's being used for Foxes, as well as Montour/North Hills/Moon HS teams. That single outdoor ice surface probably generates the Island Sports Center about 2 million every season, and I am more than likely on the low side of that. Plus add on all the inline teams that use the other rink. Do you honestly think the RMU D1 team brings that kind of money (or would with more seating) to the facility? Eliminating those outdoor surfaces would be absolutely detrimental to RMU ISC business model and to Pittsburgh area youth hockey. There is no way they would allow that to happen. 

I am asking this question sincerely - are you saying that there are high school games played on the Stadium Rink at ISC? That's hard to believe for a number of reasons, by far the most significant of which is the fact that it isn't regulation sized. The neutral zone is so short that staying onside is a serious challenge in breakaways when you first start playing on it.

Plus when Pittsburgh doesn't really have a winter, like this year, the front corner ice is awful.

19 hours ago, Racchi’s Rug said:

If they added seats on the bench side of the Colonial Arena that would only affect the parking lot to the side of the arena and would create a sort of contiguous bowl... If they added seats to the Olympic side and retrofitted it to NCAA standards that would take out the Stadium Rink. It would seem that the former is a better option than the latter. 

as far as ACHA local teams converting to NCAA such as Arizona State (and perhaps UNLV someday with the explosion of hockey popularity in Vegas/sharing a rink with the VGK) did I’d love to see it as a Pitt grad but doubt it happens ever. CHMA games don’t draw (the model isn’t made to draw fans it’s just to play post high school pre beer league haha)  and club sports don’t make any money for the university aside from the fees they pay to use the name and logo or whatever. If any ACHA schools are primed to go NCAA I’d wager on Kent or Ohio U but I’m just pulling those out of thin air since they recruit decently among ACHA players.

Ohio will never field ncaa men’s hockey due to title 9, ten years ago the program was thinking of moving to ncca d3, this decision was halted due to the financial  commitment with expanding all the woman’s program. 

20 hours ago, forbin said:

Every single RMU in-house team uses the outdoor ice rink for their practices and games. There are 250 mites alone each paying upwards of $750 per season. Then squirts through bantams which is at least $1k per kid. Not too mention it's being used for Foxes, as well as Montour/North Hills/Moon HS teams. That single outdoor ice surface probably generates the Island Sports Center about 2 million every season, and I am more than likely on the low side of that. Plus add on all the inline teams that use the other rink. Do you honestly think the RMU D1 team brings that kind of money (or would with more seating) to the facility? Eliminating those outdoor surfaces would be absolutely detrimental to RMU ISC business model and to Pittsburgh area youth hockey. There is no way they would allow that to happen. 

Here’s the best part, if rmu didn’t buy the rink it was going under. That place loses money every year. It was also built on a nuclear waste dump. The first 2-3 years the building was there you were told not to drink the water or fill water bottles. 

1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:

I am asking this question sincerely - are you saying that there are high school games played on the Stadium Rink at ISC? That's hard to believe for a number of reasons, by far the most significant of which is the fact that it isn't regulation sized. The neutral zone is so short that staying onside is a serious challenge in breakaways when you first start playing on it.

Plus when Pittsburgh doesn't really have a winter, like this year, the front corner ice is awful.

No, I don't believe high school and Foxes games are played on the Stadium rink, but practices are held on it. 

56 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Here’s the best part, if rmu didn’t buy the rink it was going under. That place loses money every year. It was also built on a nuclear waste dump. The first 2-3 years the building was there you were told not to drink the water or fill water bottles. 

I like to think the extra radiation in the water there gave me super powers when I played.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 4:49 PM, Hockey1 said:

There have been extensive discussions about Pitt fielding a NCAA hockey team and so far they have no interest.  Word is the Pens even offered to let them use PPG until they had a rink up and running.  I would love to see Pitt get a D1 team, I think they would have the fan support, especially if they got an on campus arena...

So you agree that Pitt has no desire to field an NCAA team?  Good then we agree.  Like I said, the club team although does well on the ice, but it is not on good terms with the University.  The board that governs club sports has gone after them several times and tried to give them the boot.

I will disagree with you regarding support.  I don't think the area would support them if they ever did decide to go to D1.  Have you watched true NCAA D1 games on TV from real schools like Minn or Boston area?  Look at how packed they are, then go to the small RMU facility for one of their games, or even a Chatham DIII game.  It's pathetic the lack of support these programs get.  Have you ever been to a PItt ACHA D1 game?  No one there other than parents.  Pittsburgh does a crappy job of supporting any teams that aren't named Steelers or Penguins. 

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 1