Hunt Armory Ice Rink

2 hours ago, The King said:

I’ve said for years that WPA was a fake hockey town. You’re spot on regarding the support for local NCAA hockey. They never supported RMU. Like I said, suggesting Pitt it any CHMA team had NCAA support shows a lack of knowledge. 

It has nothing to do with WPA being a “fake hockey town.”  That is an absurd comment to make.  Look at the factors Pitt and RMU are up against.  

No rink on campus - students can’t walk from their dorm to the games.  Why do you think attendance at Miami, OU and Kent State are higher?  Hell, OU sells out almost every home game and had a waiting list to get tickets for when they swept PItt two weekends ago.  So by your standard does that make Athens a hockey town?  

Why does Pitt have horrible attendance during football season?  Same thing - students have to take a freaking bus to the games.  Are you now going to say due to lack of support for Pitt football that this isn’t a football city?”  There are tons of colleges with far less enrollment and success in their program that get better fan support because the facility they play in is on campus. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

It has nothing to do with WPA being a “fake hockey town.”  That is an absurd comment to make.  Look at the factors Pitt and RMU are up against.  

No rink on campus - students can’t walk from their dorm to the games.  Why do you think attendance at Miami, OU and Kent State are higher?  Hell, OU sells out almost every home game and had a waiting list to get tickets for when they swept PItt two weekends ago.  So by your standard does that make Athens a hockey town?  

Why does Pitt have horrible attendance during football season?  Same thing - students have to take a freaking bus to the games.  Are you now going to say due to lack of support for Pitt football that this isn’t a football city?”  There are tons of colleges with far less enrollment and success in their program that get better fan support because the facility they play in is on campus. 

To follow up on this, a few years ago I tried to buy a block of tickets to Pegula Arena for a peewee team after a game we were playing out there, and I was told that the arena was sold out until 2027 or something absurd like that.

WOW! I am in a tough spot on this one!  Cause I agree with both fafa and King. 

fafa is right in that it absolutely sucks for students to get to football games and to a certain extent hockey games.  I agree with him there.  But there is zero support from people in the community for Pitt, RMU, Duquesne, and Chatham.  This wouldn't change no matter where the rink is located.

However, King and I both dislike the "fans" in Pittsburgh so I can see where he is coming with the fake hockey town comment.  I often argue with people from Pittsburgh and I am still astonished with the ranking of Pittsburgh as high up in news articles as having great fans or being a good hockey town (see some of the recent article written about this).  Sorry guys I just don't see it.  Pittsburgh is not a hockey town, it is a Penguins town, even more so , its a Sidney Crosby town.  When Crosby retires they will need another mega-star to take his place in order to keep peoples interest.  Is Athens a hockey town?  No, but it is a Bobcat's hockey town.  I know some of you have been to games there, it is just amazing to watch.  Even if Pitt had a rink on campus (note the Amory is not on Pitt's campus), they would not fill it like Ohio, and there would still be zero support from the non-students. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The King said:

Were you at any Pens games prior to 1984? Better yet, how about in 2003? Thought not.

Once again when you try to make a point you assume you know who I am and what my background is.  It is an ignorant approach to any argument and you make this mistake all of the time.   

I graduated college from a west coast school in 1986, came back home to PA and have been going to Pens games ever since.   At times you make good points but your ignorance and assumptions you levy at people on this forum because you don't agree with their comment make you look petty and pompous.  And it's getting really old.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The King said:

So my assumptions are correct. No you did not attend during those times. I don’t have to know you because chances are, you didn’t attend just like the rest of the city. I don’t care if you agree or not, truthfully. I just know what I’m talking about. Your validation isn’t even in my radar. Fact if the matter is, you continue to use circular logic. @Eddie Shore stated it well. Maybe a lack of on campus facilities makes it difficult but most kids at college have transportation now. Or at least more than used to. But it isn’t a hockey town. Never was, never will be. Congrats on the college graduation though man!

I am done ( as others have voiced on this and other threads ) wasting my time with a jackass. I came with examples and facts, you came with your bullshit options.  Do I have to show you ticket stubs?  

46 minutes ago, The King said:

most kids at college have transportation now

You don't think it makes a difference to a student when they can drink, walk to a game then walk back to their dorm room safely without ever getting into a car?  Many schools don't even allow freshmen to have cars at school.  Yes that is a fact not an opinion.

F off.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

And now we know where the snowflake was formedSnowflake.thumb.jpg.56854af2145969fdc39eb662d5f21e67.jpg

You are absolutely right sadboy. Irvine, CA ( Orange County, CA to be exact for the likes of you that can’t find Irvine on a map ) spits out Republican and right winger snowflakes like no other school in the west.  We actually agree on something - well done kid. 

15 hours ago, The King said:

Well at least we know at what point your life peaked. But I would have expected a scholar like yourself that graduated from Irvine Valley College to be able to come up with something wittier than “sad boy”. 

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ

One struggles mightily to understand how a discussion about the merits of installing an ice rink - 1) in the City of Pittsburgh and 2) at the Hunt Armory specifically -could devolve into an argument about the relative intelligence or manliness of the forum participants. It's hard to get any value out of the any of the more serious discussions here with this sort of reduction to the absurd going on. This was actually one of the more healthy discussions on the forum until about ten messages ago. Put them away, boys.

And, as someone said elsewhere, stop feeding the animals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I read elsewhere that PennDOT had committed a considerable amount of money to upgrade some roads in the area. I am still skeptical of whether the road system in the area can handle the volume, but that's been said. I'll try to find that article and post it.

I still think that the local residents will be VERY unhappy once this project is complete. For my part, though, I'd love to finish a beer league game and hit Noodlehead's for dinner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

I read elsewhere that PennDOT had committed a considerable amount of money to upgrade some roads in the area. I am still skeptical of whether the road system in the area can handle the volume, but that's been said. I'll try to find that article and post it.

I still think that the local residents will be VERY unhappy once this project is complete. For my part, though, I'd love to finish a beer league game and hit Noodlehead's for dinner.

Here's the article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2019/11/18/state-to-fund-500k-rebuilding-of-street-outside.html

I work in highway construction. This is a totally insignificant amount of money for a roadway project. My memory must've been rattled by that puck...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:52 AM, dazedandconfused said:

This is false.

This is true

That is FALSE!!!  RMU has turned a profit in the last 5 years ranging from $750,000-$1MM.  Granted, not a lot, but it's not losing money.  Most of that extra revenue is from the college.

11 minutes ago, Hockey1 said:

That is FALSE!!!  RMU has turned a profit in the last 5 years ranging from $750,000-$1MM.  Granted, not a lot, but it's not losing money.  Most of that extra revenue is from the college.

You are completely wrong. The rink loses money every year, the college makes it look like it doesn’t. The only rink in the area that is making a good profit is ice castle, this is because the owner also runs the preds. 

10 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

Heard it from RMU HC mouth and from Gentlemen at Pens PITT will have D 1 Hockey Team.

AND

RMU is raising money for on Campus Ice Rink that is their Plan build A D 1 Ice Rink.

When that happens when they get the $$$$

Pitt does have a D1 team already. An ACHA D1 Team.  Do you mean and NCAA Team?  Really?  They just folded their D2 Team half way through the year based on not enough players and $$ and the D1 is a good team on the ice in CHMA, but is not considered "threat" at Nationals.  The amount of players they had at tryouts this year is half of what it used to be.  Plus they are always getting their hands slapped by the University (see uniform color and "Cathedral" jerseys.  I will bookmark your post and we can revisit it in 10 years for my "I told you so". 

I hope I am wrong, but I am sorry to say, it ain't gonna happen.

2 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

Pitt does have a D1 team already. An ACHA D1 Team.  Do you mean and NCAA Team?  Really?  They just folded their D2 Team half way through the year based on not enough players and $$ and the D1 is a good team on the ice in CHMA, but is not considered "threat" at Nationals.  The amount of players they had at tryouts this year is half of what it used to be.  Plus they are always getting their hands slapped by the University (see uniform color and "Cathedral" jerseys.  I will bookmark your post and we can revisit it in 10 years for my "I told you so". 

I hope I am wrong, but I am sorry to say, it ain't gonna happen.

It's hard to imagine happening. Right now they're driving to Harmarville for practices and games, aren't they? Can't see how they'll develop NCAA D1 class talent with having to travel that far for daily practices. The rinks that true D1 school have on campus are too good in terms of not just ice but amenities for the players. There's nothing like that there, nor will there EVER be anything like that in Oakland, or at the Armory, if that ever happens. D1 players have recreation and study rooms, training tables, film and classroom facilities, weight rooms, and trainer facilities at their fingertips.

Nobody truly good enough to play Varsity D1 will be attracted to whatever facility Pitt can offer in anything like the foreseeable future when they can play at Pegula, or Compton at Notre Dame, or the facilities offered by BU. It's just economics.

As an alumni of the D1 Club team (class of 2014), I am incredibly proud of the progress that has been made in the program - including several Conference Championships in the past few years and a top 20 ranking.   In my opinion, the efforts and dedication of the coaches and players to grow this program is incredibly impressive.   Based on the progress that has been made since I've been gone, I'm excited to see where the program goes from here.   I wouldn't underestimate the potential of Pitt Hockey.

12 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

It's hard to imagine happening. Right now they're driving to Harmarville for practices and games, aren't they? Can't see how they'll develop NCAA D1 class talent with having to travel that far for daily practices. The rinks that true D1 school have on campus are too good in terms of not just ice but amenities for the players. There's nothing like that there, nor will there EVER be anything like that in Oakland, or at the Armory, if that ever happens. D1 players have recreation and study rooms, training tables, film and classroom facilities, weight rooms, and trainer facilities at their fingertips.

Nobody truly good enough to play Varsity D1 will be attracted to whatever facility Pitt can offer in anything like the foreseeable future when they can play at Pegula, or Compton at Notre Dame, or the facilities offered by BU. It's just economics.

ASU is a NCAA D1 program and they play in a rundown rink with no amenities but still manage to attract enough talent to be ranked #13 in the country. Maybe the weather?