• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
RegDunlop7

Hunt Armory Ice Rink

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 4:49 PM, Hockey1 said:

There have been extensive discussions about Pitt fielding a NCAA hockey team and so far they have no interest.  Word is the Pens even offered to let them use PPG until they had a rink up and running.  I would love to see Pitt get a D1 team, I think they would have the fan support, especially if they got an on campus arena...

So you agree that Pitt has no desire to field an NCAA team?  Good then we agree.  Like I said, the club team although does well on the ice, but it is not on good terms with the University.  The board that governs club sports has gone after them several times and tried to give them the boot.

I will disagree with you regarding support.  I don't think the area would support them if they ever did decide to go to D1.  Have you watched true NCAA D1 games on TV from real schools like Minn or Boston area?  Look at how packed they are, then go to the small RMU facility for one of their games, or even a Chatham DIII game.  It's pathetic the lack of support these programs get.  Have you ever been to a PItt ACHA D1 game?  No one there other than parents.  Pittsburgh does a crappy job of supporting any teams that aren't named Steelers or Penguins. 

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Danner27 said:

That place loses money every year.

This is false.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Danner27 said:

It was also built on a nuclear waste dump.

This is true

2 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

So you agree that Pitt has no desire to field an NCAA team?  Good then we agree.  Like I said, the club team although does well on the ice, but it is not on good terms with the University.  The board that governs club sports has gone after them several times and tried to give them the boot.

I will disagree with you regarding support.  I don't think the area would support them if they ever did decide to go to D1.  Have you watched true NCAA D1 games on TV from real schools like Minn or Boston area?  Look at how packed they are, then go to the small RMU facility for one of their games, or even a Chatham DIII game.  It's pathetic the lack of support these programs get.  Have you ever been to a PItt ACHA D1 game?  No one there other than parents.  Pittsburgh does a crappy job of supporting any teams that aren't named Steelers or Penguins. 

I’ve said for years that WPA was a fake hockey town. You’re spot on regarding the support for local NCAA hockey. They never supported RMU. Like I said, suggesting Pitt it any CHMA team had NCAA support shows a lack of knowledge. 

2 hours ago, The King said:

I’ve said for years that WPA was a fake hockey town. You’re spot on regarding the support for local NCAA hockey. They never supported RMU. Like I said, suggesting Pitt it any CHMA team had NCAA support shows a lack of knowledge. 

It has nothing to do with WPA being a “fake hockey town.”  That is an absurd comment to make.  Look at the factors Pitt and RMU are up against.  

No rink on campus - students can’t walk from their dorm to the games.  Why do you think attendance at Miami, OU and Kent State are higher?  Hell, OU sells out almost every home game and had a waiting list to get tickets for when they swept PItt two weekends ago.  So by your standard does that make Athens a hockey town?  

Why does Pitt have horrible attendance during football season?  Same thing - students have to take a freaking bus to the games.  Are you now going to say due to lack of support for Pitt football that this isn’t a football city?”  There are tons of colleges with far less enrollment and success in their program that get better fan support because the facility they play in is on campus. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

It has nothing to do with WPA being a “fake hockey town.”  That is an absurd comment to make.  Look at the factors Pitt and RMU are up against.  

No rink on campus - students can’t walk from their dorm to the games.  Why do you think attendance at Miami, OU and Kent State are higher?  Hell, OU sells out almost every home game and had a waiting list to get tickets for when they swept PItt two weekends ago.  So by your standard does that make Athens a hockey town?  

Why does Pitt have horrible attendance during football season?  Same thing - students have to take a freaking bus to the games.  Are you now going to say due to lack of support for Pitt football that this isn’t a football city?”  There are tons of colleges with far less enrollment and success in their program that get better fan support because the facility they play in is on campus. 

To follow up on this, a few years ago I tried to buy a block of tickets to Pegula Arena for a peewee team after a game we were playing out there, and I was told that the arena was sold out until 2027 or something absurd like that.

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

This is all circular logic. Who is talking about football? And please stop with the on campus crap. It’s a city school. Pitt is a victim of the same fair weather fan problem all teams except the Steelers suffer from. Athens is an OU town. In real hockey towns, the population attends games despite the teams success. Were you at any Pens games prior to 1984? Better yet, how about in 2003? Thought not. WPA abandons the Pens when times are tough. That mentality is why the BY’s are so cyclical. The culture zombies jump on the newest trend and their kids play hockey when the pro hockey team is winning. The actual hockey fan market in Pittsburgh is so much smaller than you realize. Don’t judge it by Pens ticket sales. Judge it by Familiar faces you see consistently at rinks everywhere

WOW! I am in a tough spot on this one!  Cause I agree with both fafa and King. 

fafa is right in that it absolutely sucks for students to get to football games and to a certain extent hockey games.  I agree with him there.  But there is zero support from people in the community for Pitt, RMU, Duquesne, and Chatham.  This wouldn't change no matter where the rink is located.

However, King and I both dislike the "fans" in Pittsburgh so I can see where he is coming with the fake hockey town comment.  I often argue with people from Pittsburgh and I am still astonished with the ranking of Pittsburgh as high up in news articles as having great fans or being a good hockey town (see some of the recent article written about this).  Sorry guys I just don't see it.  Pittsburgh is not a hockey town, it is a Penguins town, even more so , its a Sidney Crosby town.  When Crosby retires they will need another mega-star to take his place in order to keep peoples interest.  Is Athens a hockey town?  No, but it is a Bobcat's hockey town.  I know some of you have been to games there, it is just amazing to watch.  Even if Pitt had a rink on campus (note the Amory is not on Pitt's campus), they would not fill it like Ohio, and there would still be zero support from the non-students. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The King said:

Were you at any Pens games prior to 1984? Better yet, how about in 2003? Thought not.

Once again when you try to make a point you assume you know who I am and what my background is.  It is an ignorant approach to any argument and you make this mistake all of the time.   

I graduated college from a west coast school in 1986, came back home to PA and have been going to Pens games ever since.   At times you make good points but your ignorance and assumptions you levy at people on this forum because you don't agree with their comment make you look petty and pompous.  And it's getting really old.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Once again when you try to make a point you assume you know who I am and what my background is.  It is an ignorant approach to any argument and you make this mistake all of the time.   

I graduated college from a west coast school in 1986, came back home to PA and have been going to Pens games ever since.   At times you make good points but your ignorance and assumptions you levy at people on this forum because you don't agree with their comment make you look petty and pompous.  And it's getting really old.

So my assumptions are correct. No you did not attend during those times. I don’t have to know you because chances are, you didn’t attend just like the rest of the city. I don’t care if you agree or not, truthfully. I just know what I’m talking about. Your validation isn’t even in my radar. Fact if the matter is, you continue to use circular logic. @Eddie Shore stated it well. Maybe a lack of on campus facilities makes it difficult but most kids at college have transportation now. Or at least more than used to. But it isn’t a hockey town. Never was, never will be. Congrats on the college graduation though man!

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, The King said:

So my assumptions are correct. No you did not attend during those times. I don’t have to know you because chances are, you didn’t attend just like the rest of the city. I don’t care if you agree or not, truthfully. I just know what I’m talking about. Your validation isn’t even in my radar. Fact if the matter is, you continue to use circular logic. @Eddie Shore stated it well. Maybe a lack of on campus facilities makes it difficult but most kids at college have transportation now. Or at least more than used to. But it isn’t a hockey town. Never was, never will be. Congrats on the college graduation though man!

I am done ( as others have voiced on this and other threads ) wasting my time with a jackass. I came with examples and facts, you came with your bullshit options.  Do I have to show you ticket stubs?  

46 minutes ago, The King said:

most kids at college have transportation now

You don't think it makes a difference to a student when they can drink, walk to a game then walk back to their dorm room safely without ever getting into a car?  Many schools don't even allow freshmen to have cars at school.  Yes that is a fact not an opinion.

F off.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

I am done ( as others have voiced on this and other threads ) wasting my time with a jackass. I came with examples and facts, you came with your bullshit options.  Do I have to show you ticket stubs?  

You don't think it makes a difference to a student when they can drink, walk to a game then walk back to their dorm room safely without ever getting into a car?  Many schools don't even allow freshmen to have cars at school.  Yes that is a fact not an opinion.

F off.

I’m offended by your vitriol sir. Please leave the anger out of this forum

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

And now we know where the snowflake was formedSnowflake.thumb.jpg.56854af2145969fdc39eb662d5f21e67.jpg

You are absolutely right sadboy. Irvine, CA ( Orange County, CA to be exact for the likes of you that can’t find Irvine on a map ) spits out Republican and right winger snowflakes like no other school in the west.  We actually agree on something - well done kid. 

1 hour ago, fafa fohi said:

You are absolutely right sadboy. Irvine, CA ( Orange County, CA to be exact for the likes of you that can’t find Irvine on a map ) spits out Republican and right winger snowflakes like no other school in the west.  We actually agree on something - well done kid. 

Well at least we know at what point your life peaked. But I would have expected a scholar like yourself that graduated from Irvine Valley College to be able to come up with something wittier than “sad boy”. 

16 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

Pittsburgh is just not a college town.

Agreed.  I guess it's just too small a market to support both pro and college sports.

15 hours ago, The King said:

Well at least we know at what point your life peaked. But I would have expected a scholar like yourself that graduated from Irvine Valley College to be able to come up with something wittier than “sad boy”. 

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ

One struggles mightily to understand how a discussion about the merits of installing an ice rink - 1) in the City of Pittsburgh and 2) at the Hunt Armory specifically -could devolve into an argument about the relative intelligence or manliness of the forum participants. It's hard to get any value out of the any of the more serious discussions here with this sort of reduction to the absurd going on. This was actually one of the more healthy discussions on the forum until about ten messages ago. Put them away, boys.

And, as someone said elsewhere, stop feeding the animals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I just don't see it happening. So many obstacles and the cost is so high.

Just because they are buying the building doesn't ensure any further steps. That's the simplest and cheapest part of the process.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

I just don't see it happening. So many obstacles and the cost is so high.

Just because they are buying the building doesn't ensure any further steps. That's the simplest and cheapest part of the process.

But they have Bike Lane Bill's buy-in!

Edited by RegDunlop7

58 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

One struggles mightily to understand how a discussion about the merits of installing an ice rink - 1) in the City of Pittsburgh and 2) at the Hunt Armory specifically -could devolve into an argument about the relative intelligence or manliness of the forum participants. It's hard to get any value out of the any of the more serious discussions here with this sort of reduction to the absurd going on. This was actually one of the more healthy discussions on the forum until about ten messages ago. Put them away, boys.

And, as someone said elsewhere, stop feeding the animals.

Completely agree. If you’ll read the posts, I had several insightful and informed posts about the subject and was subsequently called names by a scholar who studied at a community college in Irvine, CA. So I hope that guy reads your post and calms down

I read elsewhere that PennDOT had committed a considerable amount of money to upgrade some roads in the area. I am still skeptical of whether the road system in the area can handle the volume, but that's been said. I'll try to find that article and post it.

I still think that the local residents will be VERY unhappy once this project is complete. For my part, though, I'd love to finish a beer league game and hit Noodlehead's for dinner.

• Like 1