Pros and Cons of local youth hockey programs

Been going to PIA for several months at least once a week. The rink is pretty segregated from anything, never had a problem there. Surrounded by woods and houses with yards. Troublemakers would have to go out of their way to make a trip to the arena. My easiest way to get around any troublemakers is not stop at the Sheetz or the businesses on that main drag. Driving from the 28 off-ramp to the arena, walking into the arena, and back, I've had no issues. So unless the issue is with the youth hockey teams based out of there, the town of New Kensington is irrelevant. 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, nemesis8679 said:

Been going to PIA for several months at least once a week. The rink is pretty segregated from anything, never had a problem there. Surrounded by woods and houses with yards. Troublemakers would have to go out of their way to make a trip to the arena. My easiest way to get around any troublemakers is not stop at the Sheetz or the businesses on that main drag. Driving from the 28 off-ramp to the arena, walking into the arena, and back, I've had no issues. So unless the issue is with the youth hockey teams based out of there, the town of New Kensington is irrelevant. 

Sure if you don’t stop anywhere, just go straight to the rink but when your 17 year old son who drives himself to practice stops at sheets after practice and some junkies are robbing it, well take it from there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, Danner27 said:

Sure if you don’t stop anywhere, just go straight to the rink but when your 17 year old son who drives himself to practice stops at sheets after practice and some junkies are robbing it, well take it from there. 

Well you know why they put the blue lights in the Sheetz bathroom in New Ken

https://archive.triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/new-kensington-sheetz-declares-success-with-blue-lights-to-deter-drug-use-2/

3 hours ago, hockey07 said:

That entire area is a hellhole. Never understood why a rink was built there. It’s obvious I suppose. Extremely cheap land. As I stated above, my son went in after practice once and ended up in the middle of a robbery. I’m also pretty sure the bar / restaurant on the pia property just got nailed for food violations. Vermin crap on the open food, something like that, it was on the news.  Probably junkies preparing the food. 

@Hockeyaintathang

find an organization that isn't a hassle to get to

LOL, you ARE new to the area. Welcome to PGH where anywhere you go takes between 20 minutes to 2 hours to get to and you can almost never go the same way back as whence you came. and never ever forget the golden rule, You can't get there from here. 

?

• Haha 1

been going to PIA for 3 years most of the time at night most of the time 5 plus nights a week with 2 boys. been to sheetz just about every time. haven't seen or had a single issue at the rink, or at sheetz.. lets be honest, it isnt the best town, but every town has junkies, robberies, and bad people.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, miked said:

@Hockeyaintathang

find an organization that isn't a hassle to get to

LOL, you ARE new to the area. Welcome to PGH where anywhere you go takes between 20 minutes to 2 hours to get to and you can almost never go the same way back as whence you came. and never ever forget the golden rule, You can't get there from here. 

?

Actually, if you live near the rink you've picked as your home organization, it's not so bad. It's only when you need to go through a tunnel or cross a bridge, which of course, we all do, living in Pittsburgh, that you start to have issues. ?

• 2 weeks later...