3 NHLers coaching 2011 Vengeance?

53 minutes ago, forbin said:

Obviously. What I'm asking is why would it hinder the development of a 9 year old to play with all 9 year olds in Pittsburgh, but not hinder his development if he lived in Toronto? Other than the broad skill level of all of the kids, what is the difference? 

Short answer is 9 year olds up there can play against only other 9 year olds and the depth is there to set strong and competitive divisions. 

On 2/28/2020 at 3:43 PM, forbin said:

Just curious, what do you mean by that? Are birth year teams the "thing" in Toronto? 

He is saying 2011 all by team will play against mix BY teams. Toronto they play against same BY teams. Typically an all BY team gets slaughtered all year by the mixed teams.

what do you mean by that?

I mean that player age is a poor first criteria for choosing teams.  Individual players are best developed and have more fun when they play and practice with a team of peers at their skill level.

Are birth year teams the "thing" in Toronto? 

Yes, because the participant pool is much much deeper.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, forbin said:

why would it hinder the development of a 9 year old

Because skill level varies widely at this age, there are not enough participants in any local association's pool to form a full peer group by skill once you've grouped by age.  The risk is that your player's skill may regress.  The bigger risk is that your player will get discouraged and start to dislike hockey.  Your spearhead coach will insist on playing AA or A Major 1, since he's sold you on being a cream of the crop group.  Odds are, there will be 1-2 kids who can will carry your team, and 5-7 teammates that will struggle to keep up.

• Like 1

How elite?  How do you know if a 9-year old is AA or AAA level?

The 2010 vengeance team played in PAHL AA and did not do well.  Well below .500.  That is not competitive and they are really an A Major team at best.

Of course that begs the question, if you are not successful in AA, how can you honestly call yourself AAA?

Just now, Duster19 said:

The 2010 vengeance team played in PAHL AA and did not do well.  Well below .500.  That is not competitive and they are really an A Major team at best.

Of course that begs the question, if you are not successful in AA, how can you honestly call yourself AAA?

You have three NHLers evaluating them ?

8 hours ago, Duster19 said:

Easy, all 9-year olds are AA :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Haha 2

My kids have done it both ways when they started Squirts.  In my opinion, if your child is one of the top two players in his birth year in large organization then he or she probably should play against older kids on a mixed team.   The rest of the kids are fine to stay together.  The problem if the top players stay together with their birth year they will single handedly raise the level at which a Minor team plays.

21 hours ago, twoboys said:

My kids have done it both ways when they started Squirts.  In my opinion, if your child is one of the top two players in his birth year in large organization then he or she probably should play against older kids on a mixed team.   The rest of the kids are fine to stay together.  The problem if the top players stay together with their birth year they will single handedly raise the level at which a Minor team plays.

I agree 100%, the size of the organization and the level of play of the players around the top kids is important.  At this young of an age, one or two highly skilled players can greatly impact the level of play of the entire team, which might help the more skilled player, but does that really help the rest of the players if they are being forced to play over their heads?  Larger organizations have an easier time getting "similarly skilled" players on to the same team because there are more kids available to fill out rosters.  A smaller organization is going to run into having a skill gap simply because there are not enough "similarly skilled" players to fill out entire rosters.  I saw this with my own eyes this past weekend at the 10U AA PAHL level during their playoff weekend.  The larger organizations had full benches of "similarly skilled" players, while the smaller organizations had one or or two really skilled players, but then a pretty substantial drop in skill level down the rest of the bench.