Butler Valley rebrand

Apparently butler valley is rebranding to the “ Pittsburgh yetis “. Seems more like the terrible bv teams with new fancy jerseys. This is what they had to say about it 

For Immediate Release - Valencia, PA February 12, 2020:
 The Butler Valley Youth Hockey Association (BVYHA) is excited to announce that it will be joining forces with The Pittsburgh Hockey Academy, PHA Icemen and the Management of Frozen Pond Arena to bring to its members and the hockey community a more robust youth hockey program designed to promote a progressive developmental pathway and total hockey experience for players from the beginner and ADM levels through U18.
Under the combined organization, the leadership team will be comprised of members from BVYHA, PHA and Frozen Pond Arena. Its youth hockey teams will be branded as the Pittsburgh Yetis, competing in the Pittsburgh Amateur Hockey League (PAHL), and the PHA Icemen, competing as high performance independent travel teams (Tier I AAA or Tier II AA) and/or participating and competing in high level national leagues.
The refreshed look and feel reflects the organization’s commitment to making the Pittsburgh Yetis a preeminent youth hockey brand competing in PAHL, while providing a consistent look and feel with its high performance PHA brethren. From the modern new crest to the bold and clean look, the brand refresh projects strength and consistency.
In addition to the new look and feel, our organization will also have the benefits of experienced and professional management, with a keen focus on player and coaching development including the Pittsburgh Hockey Academy Coaching and Training Staff, Off-Ice Fitness and Training Facilities and a clear progressive youth hockey development path for its players of all skill levels, all under one roof at the Frozen Pond Arena.
An Open House Forum for all members will be held at Frozen Pond Arena on Wednesday February 26, at 6pm. 2020-2021 tryout and programming information will be released in the coming days.

Does anyone really care at this point?  

You need to have ex pros coach your 2009s to be a draw these days. ? I don't think Dean and Fritz have much of a connection to parents coming in. And they still have that awful rink, which has improved but is still awful.

15 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Does anyone really care at this point?  

You need to have ex pros coach your 2009s to be a draw these days. ? I don't think Dean and Fritz have much of a connection to parents coming in. And they still have that awful rink, which has improved but is still awful.

They might want to fix the broken glass, the leaning boards, and the stench before a rebrand will make much of a dent in their lack of recruitment for high quality teams. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hockeyfan00 said:

Apparently butler valley is rebranding to the “ Pittsburgh yetis “. Seems more like the terrible bv teams with new fancy jerseys. This is what they had to say about it 

For Immediate Release - Valencia, PA February 12, 2020:
 The Butler Valley Youth Hockey Association (BVYHA) is excited to announce that it will be joining forces with The Pittsburgh Hockey Academy, PHA Icemen and the Management of Frozen Pond Arena to bring to its members and the hockey community a more robust youth hockey program designed to promote a progressive developmental pathway and total hockey experience for players from the beginner and ADM levels through U18.
Under the combined organization, the leadership team will be comprised of members from BVYHA, PHA and Frozen Pond Arena. Its youth hockey teams will be branded as the Pittsburgh Yetis, competing in the Pittsburgh Amateur Hockey League (PAHL), and the PHA Icemen, competing as high performance independent travel teams (Tier I AAA or Tier II AA) and/or participating and competing in high level national leagues.
The refreshed look and feel reflects the organization’s commitment to making the Pittsburgh Yetis a preeminent youth hockey brand competing in PAHL, while providing a consistent look and feel with its high performance PHA brethren. From the modern new crest to the bold and clean look, the brand refresh projects strength and consistency.
In addition to the new look and feel, our organization will also have the benefits of experienced and professional management, with a keen focus on player and coaching development including the Pittsburgh Hockey Academy Coaching and Training Staff, Off-Ice Fitness and Training Facilities and a clear progressive youth hockey development path for its players of all skill levels, all under one roof at the Frozen Pond Arena.
An Open House Forum for all members will be held at Frozen Pond Arena on Wednesday February 26, at 6pm. 2020-2021 tryout and programming information will be released in the coming days.

Any photos of the logo?

The best part of the release was "the PHA Icemen, competing as high performance independent travel teams"

Let's look at My Hockey:

U18 (Tier 2) - Record of 17-16-3 and ranked 21st (slightly ahead of Preds)

U16 (Tier 1) - Record 11-21-2 and ranked 121 of 146

U15 (Tier 1) - Record of 5-30-4 and ranked 111 of 120

U14 (Tier 2) - Record of 23-22-3 and ranked 38th (Behind Renegades and Viper Stars in the area)

So it basically should read that the Yetis will compete as high performance PAHL teams and not participate in Tier 1 AAA hockey

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

PHA is probably the biggest faux-AAA organization in Pittsburgh. At least some of their teams are playing at the AA level, but they should all be in PAHL -- would make it a much more competitive league.

When Alain Lemieux’s Pgh Selects dissolved, some rejoiced: “Faux AAA is a thing of the past in Pgh!”

PHA Icemen: “Hold my beer.”

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Hockeyboomer87 said:

They are fielding 2008, 2009, and 2010 birth year teams for yetis 

but I just looked up on pahl that their squirt team finished dead last in AA and that would be the 09-10 years. 

Yetis are meant to play in PAHL, yes? PAHL does not support BY except at Bantam AA minor, which has its own problems as noted in other threads. What are these organizations selling parents currently to promote BY in a market that can't properly support BY at the moment, anyone know?

1 minute ago, Saucey said:

Yetis are meant to play in PAHL, yes? PAHL does not support BY except at Bantam AA minor, which has its own problems as noted in other threads. What are these organizations selling parents currently to promote BY in a market that can't properly support BY at the moment, anyone know?

I think it's to appease the parents that want a non-parent coach, promising that's what they'll get, but then not delivering on that promise.  

2 hours ago, Hockeyboomer87 said:

So how did the Icemen fare in the MidAm? Will the Yetis and Icemen be the next place to run to?

heard the 15u had a few kids leave ?

if you want to spend thousands of dollars, have a terrible coach,, and lose to AA teams, then join the icemen

2 hours ago, hockey55 said:

if you want to spend thousands of dollars, have a terrible coach,, and lose to AA teams, then join the icemen

The Icemen 18uAA finished the mid-ams at 2-2, same record as Allegheny's team and the Preds 2 team, and Allegheny's team cost a whole lot less to play on than either of those two.  So much for all the travel and expenses, they couldn't even advance out of districts.  :classic_laugh: 

• Haha 1

I don't get people complaining abut the Icemen.  A friend's son has played there for a couple of years and has nothing but positive things to say about the coach.  Then again it is only one coach.    

You do realize that kids flock to the the faux AAA organizations as you call it because they don't want to play PAHL.  The issue is with PAHL and PAHL organizations not giving the consumers what they want.  Give the AA teams more ice and a qualified coach and people will stay. 

We all know certain rinks have 7 am games.  Getting rid of those will go a long way.  An early game in Morgantown or Erie to me is less desirable than a night in Cleveland or Buffalo.  The away tournaments are a draw for families of the faux AAA teams.  Usually the kids and and parents like them.

But what really makes parents mad is if the coaches kid plays way more than the other kids.  Of if he is a terror and is always in the box and there is no attempt to stop the behavior.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hockeyboomer87 said:

They are fielding 2008, 2009, and 2010 birth year teams for yetis 

but I just looked up on pahl that their squirt team finished dead last in AA and that would be the 09-10 years. 

How on earth will they have mixed tand birth year Yeti and a 2007, 2005, 2004, and 18u Icemen plus high schools and Chatham on one sheet of ice 

17 minutes ago, RegDunlop7 said:

There's nothing stopping AA teams from playing a 20-game PAHL schedule on top of 30-40 additional tournament/independent games -- countless PAHL AA teams have played this type of schedule over the last 15-20 years. All of the faux-AAA and independent AA teams (Icemen, Viper Stars, Mt. Lebo, Vengeance, etc.) would make PAHL a much stronger league.

The only thing stopping the PAHL teams from doing it are the PAHL teams.  For starters, if the coach doesn't want to do it then it won't happen.  The organization also has to give them extra ice slots for practice and independent games.  That may not be possible.  If it is possible then you got to pay more.  Does everyone want to pay more?  Not always the case.  Sometimes, parents are happy to play AA and a couple of tournaments.  And lastly, they need prime practice slots since kids are likely traveling some distance to get there.  If you are having a high level AA team your team probably isn't home grown.  All of this makes the other teams in the organization mad and jealous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, twoboys said:

The only thing stopping the PAHL teams from doing it are the PAHL teams.  For starters, if the coach doesn't want to do it then it won't happen.  The organization also has to give them extra ice slots for practice and independent games.  That may not be possible.  If it is possible then you got to pay more.  Does everyone want to pay more?  Not always the case.  Sometimes, parents are happy to play AA and a couple of tournaments.  And lastly, they need prime practice slots since kids are likely traveling some distance to get there.  If you are having a high level AA team your team probably isn't home grown.  All of this makes the other teams in the organization mad and jealous. 

That last line exemplifies one of many reasons teams like the Icemen are ridiculed so much. The superior attitude exuded by the parents and kids, when they aren't doing anything better than playing AA hockey. But 'High performance' is the sales pitch to justify the higher price tag. And the ridicule my kid receives from them to stay in PAHL. Too many crazies in the stands turning their noses up at the plebes. On the other hand, maybe it is good to have a place for these folks to land so they AREN'T on my kid's team.

The PAHL team that just handily beat one of those high performance AA teams to win the MidAm is a good example of  what RegDunlop7 is talking about.

I hate them because they water down PAHL and they are driving up the cost of playing hockey without any discernible benefit to development that is superior to a PAHL team that I've been able to see. As all the AA kids leave, PAHL play is more uneven, and I start having to think about going to keep the play level correct for my kid, and I hate it. But I don't want to travel every weekend or pay more than I already do. Or be at Ice Connection, which is still not a great rink.

Good ice times? That's not the word I've heard about practice times on one sheet.

Offering things parents want that you can't find in PAHL? Please.