PPE Black Eliminated 06-08

2 hours ago, The King said:

Serious question, what purpose did this post serve other than an attempt to ridicule Tier 1 players and their parents? I believe someone said it somewhere else but it rings true here. PPE eliminates the Black teams which you have panned in previous posts and now it’s the people that played there that get ridiculed. What is it that would make you happy? I think it would be a good source of information for the mods to gather all your posts and see how many actually have any reliable information or advice other than telling someone claiming to be a new hockey parent to have fun. I bet it’s less than 25%. 

I find it comical that your posts are 100% factual and everyone else's is not ( unless they agree with you of course ).  You cannot handle anyone that has a differing opinion or experience from yours.  Didn't you say hundreds of times on this site none of your kids participated in WPA hockey?  If that is true, all of your so-called "facts" are simply opinions based on what others told you and not from actual experiences.  

You can disagree with whomever you want whenever you want, that is why this is called a forum.  But when someone agrees with you, you ended up praising them.  When they don't, you go on a rant saying the reason for their view is because their kid wasn't good enough and got cut in the process, all the while having zero information on that persons actual experience.  

And to assume I am ridiculing PPE Black players with my comment is ridiculous - again you are going on an assumption of something that isn't there.  Exactly what did I say that ridiculed the players?  Over the 13+ years my two boys played hockey in WPA I came across many parents with kids on Black teams that looked at people that played PAHL as a second class citizen.  That is a known fact, not an opinion just from me.  Care to guess why PPE Black teams stopped playing games against PAHL teams?  Because of the coaches and parents, not the players.  Losing to an organization that pays four times less in tuition and travel fees has a negative feel to it, don't you think?

You feed yourself by looking for conflict that sometimes isn't there just so you can get a reaction and look in the mirror to gaze at yourself as the know-all about WPA hockey.  Sorry to burst your bubble kid, but you don't.  

Carry on.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, The King said:

Is that really when it existed? Serious question. Is it possible that an organization formed a second level of teams to satisfy the demand? Listen, I have no allegiance there or anywhere. But I have said repeatedly that false information is so easily distributed and honestly I think it should be criminal. Because people (albeit people that aren’t very bright) waste a lot of time and money based off of false information. This board is a cesspool of bad information. Please don’t feed into it. At least qualify it as an opinion. 

Clearly, the Black teams served a purpose.  They needed to fill ice slots.  It wouldn't surprise me if they originally thought that the Black teams were going to serve as a feeder team only to learn that it didn't really work out as intended. 

However, the reason why parents chose to write the checks to the PPE is different.  Generally speaking, they wrote the checks because they liked that option better. 

The Black teams served a purpose of filling a market between the Gold Teams and PAHL AA.  If you agree with that approach or not shouldn't matter, people were interested and showed it with their checkbook.  This takes away that option and will ultimately end up with other organizations coming in and trying to fill that void.  Feel how you might about PPE, but now these players and parents are going to be putting their money into an unknown.  I think this goes along with the saying about "the devil you know vs. the devil you don't".  Because there is money to be made, somebody is going to step in and attempt to fill this void in the market.  

12 minutes ago, The King said:

Oh I’m not claiming to be simply a know it all about WPA Hockey. My experience goes way beyond the area you reside. And I’m not sure why you keep harping on my kids not playing in WPA? Why would in it praise someone who offers an opinion that I agree with and seems to come from an informed position? Anyway, entertain a few quotations if you will-

how much fact is in the statement that PPE Black teams paid 4 times more than PAHL teams? I’m assuming you have payment or billing info to back that up. 

how do you know what people that played for PPE Black thought about you or your kids? That seems a bit like mind reading? Maybe a little bit of a persecution or inferiority complex? Either way, I can’t see why you would be so concerned with what anyone that your kids team doesn’t even play thinks about you if true. Seems obsessive. 

finally, can you answer my question? If your post wasn’t meant to ridicule, what was it’s purpose? If it’s to make a joke, please, stick to spreading rumors. I’d prefer that than a bad sense of humor. 

Fact - most PAHL teams play in 4-6 tournaments a year, covered by a mandatory team feel anywhere from $200-400, plus tuition fees of around $2,200-2,500.  So, roughly $3K plus hotel costs for two away tournaments puts you around $3,500.  PPE Black fees are the same as Gold fees from a tuition standpoint, around $5,500.  Additional fees for tournaments and travel expenses and you end up spending between $12-14K.  And if anyone with a player from a Black team cares to dispute this, please do.

Mind reading?  No, simply asking a parent the following - "so how much will you end up paying for a full season?"  It is not that difficult and it remains the right of any parent wanting to spend what they want on youth hockey.  

One who agrees with you = one with "an informed position."

Thanks for the laughs.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, The King said:

Ok the math skills are adequate but again nothing in fact. It just comes across as what you’ve gathered from paying local in-house bills and “hearing” what others pay at PPE. 
But that still leaves the issue of people looking down on you and your kid. How did you know that’s what they were doing? That’s what I referred to as mind reading. And you still haven’t answered my original question. Actually maybe you have by avoiding it. And your final math equation is spot on. Good work!

"Nothing in fact"......that is the essence of everything you post here, bro.  All you do is state opinion, not fact.  

Sorry I can't produce receipts but as I have said before, if there is a parent out there from a PAHL or PPE Black team, feel free to either validate my claim or dispute it.

I will go slow so follow along.

As an example, YTD Black 06 has had ten away tournaments so far this year.  Hotel costs ( two nights, sometimes three ) plus meals, a conservative estimate of $500 OOP per tournament.  10 X $500 = $5K.  This does not include tournament fees that exceed what is allocated and budgeted by the team. 

Coaches travel and lodging expenses for away tournaments are included in the "team fee," which is an additional cost.  So depending on length of away tournaments, frequency etc I will stand by my estimate of $12K-14K per season.  And if said player chooses to be part of Excel that is another $4,500 however I don't believe its required at this age.

As far as your original question, I answered it long ago......you just didn't like the answer.  

1 hour ago, The King said:

What is it with all the focus on girls hockey in the region? Not saying it’s right or wrong but is the demand that great? I haven’t looked at WPA registration numbers but has the number of women’s players jumped that much to necessitate it? Good for them if it has but I bet a lot of this has to do with the culture. I’m sure the PPE focus is about the “celebrity” kids there but elsewhere I am willing to bet that it’s a way to make money and/or the SafeSport legislation is going to start making coed sports less desirable. Just my opinion  

i think there is some confusion based on the posts referring to these as new teams. They are not new teams, these girls teams currently exist, they just play a partial schedule. So all these girls also play on a PAHL team. I know a good portion of the PPE U12 girls play A Major Gold for Foxes 276. they are 9-2-8. yea i had to double check that, 8 ties, weird. Anyway, IMO this move makes perfect sense. Why have these girls juggle 2 teams? So the PPE created full year teams for them. Was it motivated by some high powered parent? possible, but i don't know and neither does anyone else who wasn't in the PPE board room when the discussions took place. The fact is, this is going to be better for those girls. 

as far as PAHL, they will gain 17 U12 and 34 U14, probably not going to tip scales much depending on how they spread. 

i'm surprised by your question about the focus on girls hockey. you seem to have the insider knowledge about USA hockey and i would think any push to promote girls would be coming from them. no? I know i see USA hockey sponsored girl content and advertisements. but as i mentioned, these girls teams already exist, so it's not really  registration related per se, but i would be very shocked to not find an increase in girls registration in the area. 

2 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

Aka the faux-AAA market.

Yeah, the teams trying to field the extra A seem to benefit more when Elite sheds rather than PAHL. Some will come back. A decent number went to NP last year instead of playing black.

It will be interesting to see what happens to PAHL girls. There just aren't enough girls around here yet to support all these teams. It is growing, but not enough yet to support all of this. I thought PPE girls kept the younger ages as tournament/partial schedule teams because there are not enough girls teams to play games against at those ages. Something suddenly change for next year? I think some girls added other teams to get more games. This full schedule may just be more practice time.

42 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

"Nothing in fact"......that is the essence of everything you post here, bro.  All you do is state opinion, not fact.  

Sorry I can't produce receipts but as I have said before, if there is a parent out there from a PAHL or PPE Black team, feel free to either validate my claim or dispute it.

I will go slow so follow along.

As an example, YTD Black 06 has had ten away tournaments so far this year.  Hotel costs ( two nights, sometimes three ) plus meals, a conservative estimate of $500 OOP per tournament.  10 X $500 = $5K.  This does not include tournament fees that exceed what is allocated and budgeted by the team. 

Coaches travel and lodging expenses for away tournaments are included in the "team fee," which is an additional cost.  So depending on length of away tournaments, frequency etc I will stand by my estimate of $12K-14K per season.  And if said player chooses to be part of Excel that is another $4,500 however I don't believe its required at this age.

As far as your original question, I answered it long ago......you just didn't like the answer.  

I quickly looked at their schedule and 10 away tournaments seems high.  I think they played 50 games.   I didn’t count the home games but they had a decent amount.  

You have to pay attention to the times of games and the opponents.  My quick guess is 12-13 nights in a hotel.  The manager of this team and others like it will try and schedule the first game late enough so that you can leave in the morning.  Also, try to do up and backs if possible.  Most of the time it looks like they did.  So, 13 x 150 is 1950.  Plus gas and tolls.

And the stay to play ones are the worst cause cause you are almost always spending 3 nights.  So, the average PAHL team playing 3 away Hockey Time tournaments or whatever may have 9 nights in a hotel.

Hockey is expensive regardless where you play.

• Like 1

So, if you are a family that is currently a part of the 09 Black team, I wonder what thoughts are going through your mind? Seems like a lame-duck sort of proposition for 2020-21 and even if you do decide to continue on, you can't be certain that the tryout fallout won't produce the same type of mess as they encountered at 07 Black last year. Tough situation to be in for an 11 year old kid who just wants to play hockey.

3 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Fact - most PAHL teams play in 4-6 tournaments a year, covered by a mandatory team feel anywhere from $200-400, plus tuition fees of around $2,200-2,500.  So, roughly $3K plus hotel costs for two away tournaments puts you around $3,500.  PPE Black fees are the same as Gold fees from a tuition standpoint, around $5,500.  Additional fees for tournaments and travel expenses and you end up spending between $12-14K.  And if anyone with a player from a Black team cares to dispute this, please do.

Mind reading?  No, simply asking a parent the following - "so how much will you end up paying for a full season?"  It is not that difficult and it remains the right of any parent wanting to spend what they want on youth hockey.  

One who agrees with you = one with "an informed position."

Thanks for the laughs.

Not trying to jump in this argument just giving the both of you real numbers from a parent they paid the bills. one year that one of my kids played Pahl (Birth year AA) our season fees were $2800 (practiced twice a week) $200 for jerseys along with a $500 team fund for a grand total of $3500. We played 4 independent home games and three tournaments (one was a local hockeytime) along with the Pahl schedule. In comparison PPE (not the black team) cost me 5k in fees, esmark was similar. I can tell you that esmark’s travel cost were by far the highest. PPE with travel cost hit me around 9k esmark was close to 12k. At ppe we had more home games and got to play in the ushl showcase. We had very minimal home games at esmark. Hope this helps you two hash it out! 

3 hours ago, The King said:

What is it with all the focus on girls hockey in the region? Not saying it’s right or wrong but is the demand that great? I haven’t looked at WPA registration numbers but has the number of women’s players jumped that much to necessitate it? Good for them if it has but I bet a lot of this has to do with the culture. I’m sure the PPE focus is about the “celebrity” kids there but elsewhere I am willing to bet that it’s a way to make money and/or the SafeSport legislation is going to start making coed sports less desirable. Just my opinion  

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a few parents with pull. The boys black teams are starting to fall apart, people realized they are paying tier 1 money for AA hockey. 

3 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

Don't forget about the RMU D1 Men's Coach. He has a hand on those reigns as well.

Can’t believe that slipped my mind, one of his daughters plays with the nhl ref’s daughter. Both played very low Pahl at one point until getting on the girls PPE team. 

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Can’t believe that slipped my mind, one of his daughters plays with the nhl ref’s daughter. Both played very low Pahl at one point until getting on the girls PPE team. 

i don't understand this, are you saying that there must certainly be some type of political unfairness because a child that at one point played low level PAHL could never progress enough to deserve a spot on a high level team?