MT Lebo - AAA 15u?

Straight from the MidAm Website:

6.  Eligibility for National Tournament Play

In order for any team to be eligible for National Tournament play, the Local Association must have been in existence and approved by Mid Am for a minimum of three (3) prior consecutive years.   For Tier I District tournament, the top six (6) ranked District teams pursuant to MHR will be entered into the District Tournament, the winner of which commits to participate in National Tournament Play.

MLHA fits into this as while they have not been Tier 1, the Local Association has been in existence for far more than 3 years,

7.  Minimum Number of Youth National Bound Teams

Any Local Association rostering Youth Tier I teams must have at least two (2) National Bound Youth teams from the 14U, 15 Only, 16U or 18U categories in either the Tier I or Tier II categories.

MLHA fits into this as well since their 15U is playing Tier 1 and the 14U team is Tier 2 AA.

So yes, both of these teams ironically have kids from said coach but they are meeting the parameters without needed assistance or pull. 

31 minutes ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

In order for any team to be eligible for National Tournament play, the Local Association must have been in existence and approved by Mid Am for a minimum of three (3) prior consecutive years.   For Tier I District tournament, the top six (6) ranked District teams pursuant to MHR will be entered into the District Tournament, the winner of which commits to participate in National Tournament Play.

MLHA fits into this as while they have not been Tier 1, the Local Association has been in existence for far more than 3 years,

Any Local Association rostering Youth Tier I teams must have at least two (2) National Bound Youth teams from the 14U, 15 Only, 16U or 18U categories in either the Tier I or Tier II categories.

MLHA fits into this as well since their 15U is playing Tier 1 and the 14U team is Tier 2 AA.

So yes, both of these teams ironically have kids from said coach but they are meeting the parameters without needed assistance or pull. 

So, what does a national bound team actually mean?  I have no clue.  Isn't every team potentially nationally bound?

1 hour ago, The King said:

Fair enough but I don’t understand how any of that shows doing it for “the love of the game” as you put it? You also claim that we should be happy they made districts. But the claim is made that it’s against the rules. Is it reasonable to assume you’re asking people to be happy about a team circumventing the rules based on the coach calling in favors? Isn’t that type of behavior exactly what the Predators organization exhibits? Why did you leave the Lebo organization?

Can't you tell when a coach has a passion for what he's doing? More so than just going through the motions? I can tell the difference between the two. I believe he would be involved even if his kids didn't play. Hockey can have a great effect on a person that makes them want to stay involved and compete as a player or coach for a very long time. Being so, wouldn't you want to compete at the highest level possible? We left the Hornets to play at a higher level. At that time AA was just around the corner for them. The saying at the time was "if you want to play top level hockey, you have to go somewhere else". It was a great place to start for a lot  people.

15 hours ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

2005 is the weakest birth year in the Pittsburgh area.

Cue the lack of credibility alarm on this guy.

PPE Gold and Black plus Preds playing at the Tier 1 level

The TOP 7 - that's 7!!!!! Not 6 or 4 or 2, But 7.

Top 7 teams in the state are from Pittsburgh area.

The problem isn't the players, there's a ton of depth. The problem is the 3 parent coaches that won't let go and the two organizations that take the teams/players just for the $$$.

05 might just be the deepest in a long time but we'll never know how many actual Tier 1 teams could have been competitive.

49 minutes ago, The King said:

In a way, yes. Although there are loosely defined and agreed to parameters. Games played against similar opponents, roster requirements, affiliations, etc.  Allegedly, MidAm is notorious for allowing certain teams, players, officials to work outside the spirit of the rules based on interpretation. While others are held to oppressive standards. Money and relationships matter. 

The actual answer is simply that there is a declaration form each year sent to every organization to announce their Tier1 and Tier 2 national bound teams.  As long as you fill out the paperwork in a timely manner and fit the small guidelines as mentioned, you are on the list.

28 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

The problem isn't the players, there's a ton of depth. The problem is the 3 parent coaches that won't let go and the two organizations that take the teams/players just for the $$$.

05 might just be the deepest in a long time but we'll never know how many actual Tier 1 teams could have been competitive.

Both the PPE Black and Preds teams take players along for the ride just for the money.  Watch any of their games and at a minimum 25% of the kids don't belong at that level.  So while they may be Tier 1, it furthers the point of it being a stretch when they compete with AA teams and don't blow them out of the water.

And the 05 birth year is the weakest as a whole when in comparison to those years around them.  Note sure where this "ton of depth" comment can be backed up.

2 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

That’s funny to read, last summer there was a rumor that Lebo was going to have a tier118u team. I guess Dave  realized he could take care of both his kids and not add a team. I wondered what happened with that rumor, there was several people and coaches involved but it just went away. 

2 hours ago, The King said:

So that answers that question with curiously subjective wording of the rules as usual (cue Complaints from the teams that have been denied entry based on the same rule). Ironically?  Come on. 

Purposely ambiguous from USA hockey, just like all the rules so they can interpret them how and when they want. 

3 hours ago, The King said:

So that answers that question with curiously subjective wording of the rules as usual (cue Complaints from the teams that have been denied entry based on the same rule). Ironically?  Come on. 

Who has been denied entry? Come on, I'd like to know.

12 minutes ago, The King said:

Here’s what I’ll do for you Ringo to help you save face here, go back through all my posts and find anything I posted that you can debunk with fact or even a compelling argument that shows you have some experience that can rival mine. 

You seem "enraged" I just asked you a question, and you couldn't answer, then passed it off as an opinion.  Getting forgetful in your old age?

1 hour ago, The King said:

Now you lost me. I’m not sure how you kids detect any inflection through written messages but I guess that’s my old age showing.  But I see what you’re trying to do. You’re creating doubt by filibustering. What I did do was give you the opportunity to debunk what I said. Opinion or not, I don’t see that you’ve proven it either a false statement or a bad opinion. Just curious why you felt the need to create a profile to ask an obviously open ended question?

It wasn't open ended.  Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. You couldn't answer.  Name some of the corruption instead of,  as you say, creating false narratives.  I'm sure that there has been, just don't believe you know anything about it.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

My impression of lebo is less about corruption (unless we are talking about how they don't have truly open elections for their board) and more about how the whole organization is set up to support one person's children. 

Just like PPE. Now that certain kid and his dad have his path set they are working for their friends. 

Oh boy sounds like some new Lebo accounts have been created. The same as those crazy 15U preds parents who came in guns a blazin’ that didn’t work to well for those folks. Funny, same aged kids (04) after next season they will realize most of their kids won’t even play decent acha hockey let alone the high level junior & Ncaa dreams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The King said:

Predictable. Sad but predictable. I’m assuming this BY is notorious in the area based on your post, what I read here and what I hear from friends in the area. 

It’s odd but parents of local 04’s seem to be really out of touch, don’t understand the path’s and honestly just assume there is college hockey spots begging to be filled. Having a 99 and 02 I’ve never seen anything like it. Sure, we all as parents in the early days think “maybe my kid can do it” but around the age of 14 you become educated on the paths, how much work & dedication outside of hockey is needed, Class room, nutrition, gym, how much more specialized instruction is needed. Both my kids were fortunate enough through out the years to play for PPE and one of them played for both PPE and esmark. My best guess here, these 04 parents (outside of the ppe parents) probably have never seen high end youth players, I assume this because you look at team like Lebo (Pahl team for years) and the 04 preds (doesn’t appear any of them played tier 1 at ppe or esmark ever from what I’ve read here) these parents Just assume they are playing “aaa” so off to the show they go. It’s bizarre that this certain BY parents seem to be so far behind the curve. I know some 05 and 06 parents who already get it and understand things.  My 99 was a talented dman, he had a legitimate chance to play in the ushl.  When it came down to it, he did not have the dedication to keep pushing after 17 years old and that’s ok. He was selected in the ushl futures draft. Went to one REAL camp, came home and said “dad what’s the point there are so many players out there with my talent and even more - they won’t even end up playing d1 I’m ready to get on with my life next year and just goto college,  Where does this lead even if I get into d1 ? Stuck playing at a school you are still paying for that I might not even want to goto” nothing there for me to argue, he was spot on. He saw the talent, knew he would have to work harder and for what, to play at a school when he is 20 that he might not even want to be at. Yes you parents reading this, the majority of NCAA hockey players are not on a scholarship, most are not even on half scholarships and you better have a 4.0 with a high sat score so you can get some non athletic money. I have my theories but can’t really explain why the 04 BY parents are this crazy and uneducated. Due to my kids birth years out in the open now, where they played and the ushl draft I’m sure many readers will figure out who I am. That might be a good thing ? or maybe not ? but I’ll leave all the readers with Ncaa scholarship dreams  with this : we have a very close friend playing ncca college hockey at a major big 10 university (not some small school like rmu). This player made the USA hockey select camps every year, almost had a spot on the national team. Very talented high end player who also has the size. He only had to play one year in the USHL. He’s a junior this year, he’s considered one the starting 5 on the team, he’s only on a partial scholarship for hockey. His parents are paying 32k a year for him to goto this university that costs roughly 58k a year to live at and attended. In comparison his girlfriend at the same university is only paying 18k due to multiple academic scholarships, she plays no sports, Just an average (smart) college kid. They player I’m speaking about, after he’s done, he will be in the work force, he’s got ZERO interest from any pro team at any level in North America even though he’s a top player from a high level Ncaa program. Sorry to crush so many dreams with one post but this is the reality of college hockey. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Preds 05 and PPE Black are not AAA.  Try to look up their combined records this season can top 25 AAA teams. You can’t, because neither has played any.  No western PA 2005 AA team is ranked in top 20.  Without a doubt this is a weak birth year. There might be 2 or 3 players in this birth year that get an invite to USA Hockey 15 Camp. 

36 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

Preds 05 and PPE Black are not AAA.  Try to look up their combined records this season can top 25 AAA teams. You can’t, because neither has played any.  No western PA 2005 AA team is ranked in top 20.  Without a doubt this is a weak birth year. There might be 2 or 3 players in this birth year that get an invite to USA Hockey 15 Camp. 

Ya, that is the first time I ever heard anyone claim 05 is strong. Many of the PAHL AA teams, including the bigger programs, have a good number of  06s. That should tell you enough about that BY. 

Add to the mix the “SHAHA invite-only 2005 AAA Pens Elite Black need somewhere to get that extra A” forming for 15U. 

so at the 2005 BY, a region that has:

the lowest-ranked Pen Elite Gold team of any team in the organization. They were 1-15-3 vs USA teams ranked in the top 15   

lowest ranked Pens Elite Black team of any Black team in the organization. Played only 17 games vs teams ranked ahead of them and went 6-9-2   Played 1 game vs teams in top 35.   Loaded schedule with 8 games vs AA teams (2-2-4) and AAA teams ranked in very bottom  

no AA team ranked higher than 23 (whatever PA team makes it to Nationals will NOT advance out of pool play, but will get a lovely weekend in scenic Kalamazoo!)

AAA Preds team that should have always stayed AA and would have had a chance to win Nationals 

two Independent teams (Icemen and Vipers) that should be playing PAHL 

...is now going to try to have 4, 5, and maybe even 6 2005 AAA teams!  

if there was just Pens Elite U15 and no other AAA options, western PA (PAHL) would have a competitive, no-need-to-travel all over the country, AA U15 Division that would be a great fit for around 100 hockey players.  This is probably true of other BYs as well. 

Remember, the Tier 1 designation means something only at the end of the season and it’s for the Mid Am playdowns, where 1 team will advance to Nationals, unless there is a at-large (which will never happen from Mid Am)

No, and I mean absolutely no, scouts are going to watch any games between “AAA” teams ranked outside of the top 20.  They don’t even attend the games or events where those teams play. 

That extra A is literally for the purpose of the parent being able to say to their friends, co-workers, and other hockey parents at local rinks: “my kid plays triple A hockey”, or years later, “my kid PLAYED triple A hockey”.  Think of that in the grand scheme of life.