Pens Elite

1 hour ago, Moj said:

Did you see the goal against the first goalie? What’s your thoughts on if it went in or not? 

Hard for me to believe the vengeance we’re getting outplayed and drawing all the penalties at the same time.

About the no call on the goal, I did not see it from where I was standing. But that is on the refs and they have had quick whistles all year on some plays and no calls on others. Human error is part of the game, it sucks but it is. 

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

So if they had to kill 10 penalties, that's 20 minutes of PP time out of a 39 minute game? If they went into a defensive shell, isn't that contrary to USA hockey and PPE principles of teaching systems?

The Championship game was 3x 15min periods but still close to half the game. Unless you have the offensive punch to push back with all of those PK's then you are forced to play defense. Like moj said earlier too PPE blocked a shot on the PK and took advantage of it and scored short handed. That is not much of a system but trying to survive, which they did. 

11 minutes ago, Questions21 said:

The Championship game was 3x 15min periods but still close to half the game. Unless you have the offensive punch to push back with all of those PK's then you are forced to play defense. Like moj said earlier too PPE blocked a shot on the PK and took advantage of it and scored short handed. That is not much of a system but trying to survive, which they did. 

These two teams play 10 times, PPE wins 7 or 8 of them.  Vengence have a nice team, but lack a scoring threat, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

Maybe you guys should PM each other for your enlightening play by play argument over which Squirt team was better for this now, what, month and a half old game? I've been on this board for a while, and I've not seen anything like this.

Let me solve it for you...you are not going to convince the other that your team is better. What did you do, watch game tape or Livebarn to write these posts? Let it go. Sounds like there is talent on both teams and that it was a fun game, with both teams getting something out of the experience.

It is really weird to obsess so much over a kid's game. Drink some beers and move on guys. These poor kids. Must be fun riding in the back seat of your cars.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

Maybe you guys should PM each other for your enlightening play by play argument over which Squirt team was better for this now, what, month and a half old game? I've been on this board for a while, and I've not seen anything like this.

Let me solve it for you...you are not going to convince the other that your team is better. What did you do, watch game tape or Livebarn to write these posts? Let it go. Sounds like there is talent on both teams and that it was a fun game, with both teams getting something out of the experience.

It is really weird to obsess so much over a kid's game. Drink some beers and move on guys. These poor kids. Must be fun riding in the back seat of your cars.

Isn’t this post board created to discuss hockey?  People seem pretty annoyed by the current discussion, but can’t hold back from responding to the “squirt” talk.  Parents with older kids seem to forget their kids were once squirts, and this conversation took place then as well.  This isn’t new......  

1 hour ago, Hoomie said:

3/4 of your elite team will be trying out for the vengeance after they get cut by time they are Bantams. That isn't new either. 

Hoochie, that makes zero sense, and your comment suggests that the vengence are a second choice team.  Not sure if you realize that or not.....

On 12/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, Big Earn said:

Isn’t this post board created to discuss hockey?  People seem pretty annoyed by the current discussion, but can’t hold back from responding to the “squirt” talk.  Parents with older kids seem to forget their kids were once squirts, and this conversation took place then as well.  This isn’t new......  

I get annoyed with the 'Squirt' talk because parents who are this into their kids' games before the child is done with Santa are on the road to killing the sport for their kids. I don't see parents of older kids doing this, I don't remember seeing this level of obsession when my kids were younger and the advice I see posted here from those who have been around is, sit back, enjoy the ride, let the kids enjoy it. The only people who should be dissecting any youth game the way this post was doing it is a coach, and God bless if they have the time.

I have witnessed an inordinate amount of crazy coming from the stands of Squirt games this season, no matter who is playing. Really horrible behavior. Happens at every level, but seems most egregious with the newbies. I am glad you are into it, hockey is so much fun, but be careful you don't suck the fun right out for your kid or you will see your kid exit quick. This behavior isn't healthy for the kids or the sport.

Talk about the sport all you want, but don't obsess. Don't dissect one game like it was an NHL game because you want your kids' team to be the best in the area. Why does that matter? At nine and ten, you have a lot of hockey ahead of you, assuming your kid continues to want to play.

I have seen first hand what happens to the kids of the parents who treat their games like they are going on a talk radio show. Passion dies, and the child moves on. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Saucey said:

I get annoyed with the 'Squirt' talk because parents who are this into their kids' games before the child is done with Santa are on the road to killing the sport for their kids. I don't see parents of older kids doing this, I don't remember seeing this level of obsession when my kids were younger and the advice I see posted here from those who have been around is, sit back, enjoy the ride, let the kids enjoy it. The only people who should be dissecting any youth game the way this post was doing it is a coach, and God bless if they have the time.

I have witnessed an inordinate amount of crazy coming from the stands of Squirt games this season, no matter who is playing. Really horrible behavior. Happens at every level, but seems most egregious with the newbies. I am glad you are into it, hockey is so much fun, but be careful you don't suck the fun right out for your kid or you will see your kid exit quick. This behavior isn't healthy for the kids or the sport.

Talk about the sport all you want, but don't obsess. Don't dissect one game like it was an NHL game because you want your kids' team to be the best in the area. Why does that matter? At nine and ten, you have a lot of hockey ahead of you, assuming your kid continues to want to play.

I have seen first hand what happens to the kids of the parents who treat their games like they are going on a talk radio show. Passion dies, and the child moves on. 

Nothing for me to add here - well done Saucey.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Saucey said:

People are just going to have to live through it to understand it and even then they probably won’t. The excuses will start, Tim got hurt, Tim got a raw deal, Tim should of, could of, would of.

As far as it being crazier than it ever was? It is. This is what happens when a market explodes, participation sky rockets but the extent of what these kids parents know about hockey is what they see on TV. Not many seem to u sweat and the finite details that go into having long term success in this sport, they just see goals or dangles and think jr is on the road to the glory land. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1

Lots of great responses here.  I agree, the parents of the Squirts won't learn or believe us until they go through it themselves, they just won't listen.  They all think their kids are elite AAA, will get full D1 rides and play in the NHL.  I just let them go and think it.  Those of us with older kids know, half of the kids playing squirts right now will not be playing by the time they are 16, and maybe 1 or 2 total from the area will maybe play NCAA D3 hockey.  None will be in the NHL and for sure none of them will remember anything about when they were Squirts.  Sorry for the reality check everyone.

There seems to be a growing membership of the worst type of message board participant: the sniper. See, snipers don’t have any active insightful posts to contribute. They appear under a guise of “wisdom” and they lay in the weeds for any post about current hockey to be submitted. In this case, the target is squirt hockey. Then they snipe the people that post, basically calling them hockey blind idiots that have no clue what the reality is when these young players turn 14 and 15. 

Here’s a newsflash Saucey, Rico, and the two or three other miserable curs that are trying to act like youth hockey’s version of Nostradamus........you aren’t creative, novel, or prescient in your posts. You think because your kids have aged out of squirt, that it gives you free license to judge others and their unique experience in youth hockey?? It doesn’t. 

I haven’t seen or met a single squirt parent that truly thinks their little boy or girl is going to the show. I mean, the way you guys talk, you must conduct parental exit interviews at various and sundry squirt games. 

At the end of the day, I’d rather see a squirt aged player with big dreams being supported in a healthy way by involved parents than have a miserable dad like you guys tell the kid they better get a union card because they are never going to play at any level above rec league.  

One last thing. You guys think the market conditions, the demographics, the economics, and the culture of youth hockey are static and have been unchanged since your kids were squirts. Well, they aren’t static. Every year is a different. Which also renders your critiques invalid. So while I agree that very very few youth players will move on from here to play at truly high levels, I also think its embarrassing that you line up in droves to pour toxins all over anybody who simply wants to discuss a recent and proximate squirt game. Good luck being so bitter guys. Your highly anticipated response is the only evidence I need to prove my entire point. 

• Like 3

The 08 elite dad above seems to be very triggered. 

Nobody is saying that kids can’t have dreams. Most of us are not saying that these kids won’t have illustrious hockey careers beyond amateur hockey. What we are saying is that mite/squirt/peewee hockey is hardly comparable to hockey past those ages and people should be cognizant of that before getting into the ridiculous discussions about who is the best at those ages, what team is the best etc. Mostly everyone’s point is to enjoy it, support your kids and get the most out of it. 

Do you know what it looks like when people argue over squirt hockey? To people who either have been through it, played the sport etc? 

It looks like a bunch of housewives arguing over T-ball and who has the best team, who’s kid is a dinger. 

Sorry we touched a nerve. The market is static? Lol What are you even trying to say? The fact of the matter is you had a jump in participation’s numbers within the Crosby era, and with that came a bunch of good atheletes picking up a stick, but with know nothing parents like yourself basing your version of reality on what you watch at PPG paints. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1

Additionally, this board is meant to be resourceful. I think a number of us who have been around know what a cancer the squirt discussion turns into. If the old board were still in use, you would have 10+ years of content to prove that point. Same shit, different group of squirt parents. I know you think you’re unique but your emotional output sounds very familiar. 

Because it does. It never stays analytic and turns into a pissing contest. So I think people who use the board for its intended purpose to try to check others who seem to be leading the discussion down that road and it’s pretty easy to halt the brakes when it comes to little kid hockey. 

So nobody is sniping your squirt discussion, until it turns stupid and emotional. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Only thing I would add is that I have seen a lot of squirt parents who seriously think their kid is going to the pros

Anything is possible for anyone. 

There are kids from Pittsburgh who made it. There are more who got near it. However, you are delusional if you’re making these assertions when your kid is a mite/squirt/peewee. 

Every birthyear has great players, yet in every birthyear you will find a subset of parents who don’t seem to understand that every birthyear has great players, the one before them, the one after them, the one 5 years down the road. These are the same ones who get on message boards talking about their “unique experience” in squirt hockey. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rico said:

Anything is possible for anyone. 

There are kids from Pittsburgh who made it. There are more who got near it. However, you are delusional if you’re making these assertions when your kid is a mite/squirt/peewee. 

Every birthyear has great players, yet in every birthyear you will find a subset of parents who don’t seem to understand that every birthyear has great players, the one before them, the one after them, the one 5 years down the road. These are the same ones who get on message boards talking about their “unique experience” in squirt hockey. 

I agree Rico that every year parents will want to discuss their “unique experiences”.   Why is that a bad thing?   You don’t or didn’t do that with you child?  Why would you try to stop others from talking about their experiences no matter the level (learn to skate, mite, squirt, peewee, etc.)?  Asking questions and sharing and their good and bad experiences is part of these purpose types of message boards.  

If you feel people can only start talking about hockey at the Bantam level, we’ll I think it should only be at the Miget level.   No, you can only talk at the minor professional level.  No, just the NHL level.  I, like you, have no right to make that decision for anyone and only the board moderator gets to make that call.  

I personally think it’s great to have dialogue for all levels.  And arrogant to discourage others who want to discuss their unique experiences.  It’s wonderful that you and others have advice to share but it’s just that advice vs the ultimate voice on any topic.  My guess is many of those posting are adults and can make their own decisions.  Happy posting.  

• Like 1

Again, no one is discouraging talk about any specific level of hockey. The only thing that is being discouraged is the pretentious rhetoric that’s been prevelant amongst the “squirt” talk here.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the obsessiveness on dissecting squirt talent and/or games is just disturbing. 

In regards to being unique, all I can say is why don’t you just say you’re sorry for being so misinformed instead of creating more usernames. 

• Like 1

Rico....

If you notice, Im not commenting on any specific aspect of any level of hockey. Not about any team, individual, or game. My issue is specifically with YOU acting like some pretentious, all knowing, hockey oracle, which is laughable. What, did your kid come out of the womb as a bantam??? Do you comprehend that every kids hockey experience starts somewhere, usually at the mite and squirt levels??? I guess I’ve just grown tired of seeing you dish out negative, arrogant, and somewhat misguided drivel on this board. 

I don’t know hockey better than anybody else. But I know people. And you really have a need to be significant and you like to tell people “how it is”. You even invoked the awesome “people who have played the game” narrative.....that’s like the drunk tough guy at the bar who claims he’s a navy SEAL. The people on here are mostly just parents who want to talk about hockey and you make them feel bad about that. Congrats. You’ve won a big victory. You’re right......no hockey matters at all until the kids all grow beards. Is that what you want people to say??? 

Every parent on here should be proud of their kids regardless of what level they are playing. And it’s ok to discuss squirt hockey. Trust me everybody, you don’t need “Rico’s” permission. As far as an apology, I am sorry that bitter people like you exist to make people feel inadequate. That says more about you than anything else. 

PS......the phrase is “pump the brakes”. I’m not sure you can “halt” brakes, Rico. Although with your genius level hockey insight, you may have invented the “Brake Halter” as well. 

• Like 3

If you’re feeling inadequate due to a message board, this entire tirade you are throwing makes complete sense. 

I’ve said numerous times that nobody here is discouraging talk about hockey at the lower levels. It’s all good. 

When the conversation starts turning ridiculous, which not only myself the Oracle, but about 10 other people have pointed out in this thread... then people chime in. You spending two hours writing up your self perceived clever responses doesn’t change the fact that the majority of people here keep telling you the same thing: Talk squirt hockey all you want. Maybe make a separate thread for it, but talk it all you want. Please just do so without the pissing contest, because at the end of the day squirt hockey isn’t really that relevant. Squirt development, sure. Squirt rankings, personal status. No. I understand that’s not what guys like you don’t want to hear... which leads me to my next point. 

The only people feeling bad about their time spent on the Western PA Hockey Forum are the people who live vicariously through their children’s self-proclaimed “unique” squirt accomplishments and don’t want to hear anything objective to that sweet sweet validation they get from it. This validation is like heroin to them, if they don’t get it they lose their minds. Case and point above.

Not only have I said anything is possible for anyone. Pointed out that many Pittsburgh kids have gone on to have success, but I’ve said encouraging things up soaking it up, enjoying it, supporting your kid and doing it all out of a love for the sport. 

I don’t need impart my wisdom on anyone. I’m simply taking part in a conversation. One in which my contributions have severely touched a nerve with the Joe Jackson’s of the youth hockey world. 

• Like 1

Jermiane... get down here right now. 

(Jermaine trembles down the stairs)... “yes father” 

Jermaine you mean to tell me that you let that other kid on your team get more points than you this season? 

(Jermaine) No father, he’s cheating. He cherry picks and his parents get him lessons with a Lebonese figure skating guru. I’m the best squirt daddy I am unique. 

I had enough of your excuses boy... you and these old mean curs on the local message board are going to learn today. TITO go get me a switch!!