COST TO PLAY

I am curious to know the cost for tryouts and yearly fee difference between all the organization’s? Are they all about the same?

ALLEGHENY BADGERS

ALTOONA TRACKERS

ARCTIC FOXES

ARMSTRONG ARROWS

BEAVER COUNTY BADGERS

BUTLER VALLEY DAWGS

CRAWFORD COUNTY FLAMES

ERIE LIONS

ESMARK STARS

FAYETTE ICE MINERS

INDIANA CHIEFS

JOHNSTOWN JETS

JOHNSTOWN WARRIORS (CAMBRIA)

LAWRENCE COUNTY LIGHTING

MON VALLEY THUNDER

MORGANTOWN BLADES

MT. LEBANON HORNETS

NORTH PITTSBURGH WILDCATS

PENS ELITE

PITTSBURGH AVIATORS

PITTSBURGH HUSKIES

PITTSBURGH PREDATORS

PITTSBURGH VENGEANCE

PITTSBURGH VIPERS

SOUTH HILLS PANTHERS

SOUTHPOINTE RINK RATS

STATE COLLEGE ICERS

STEEL CITY ICE RENEGADES

WESTMORELAND EAGLES

WHEELING NAILERS

YOUNGSTOWN PHANTOMS

This information can be found on the associations websites. The PAHL website lists them all as links, so you can easily navigate to each one.

Most PAHL teams are roughly the same amount per season +/- a couple hundred dollars. It also depends on the age and level of play. 

19 minutes ago, BACKCHECKING said:

I am curious to know the cost for tryouts and yearly fee difference between all the organization’s? Are they all about the same?

ALLEGHENY BADGERS

ALTOONA TRACKERS

ARCTIC FOXES

ARMSTRONG ARROWS

BEAVER COUNTY BADGERS

BUTLER VALLEY DAWGS

CRAWFORD COUNTY FLAMES

ERIE LIONS

ESMARK STARS

FAYETTE ICE MINERS

INDIANA CHIEFS

JOHNSTOWN JETS

JOHNSTOWN WARRIORS (CAMBRIA)

LAWRENCE COUNTY LIGHTING

MON VALLEY THUNDER

MORGANTOWN BLADES

MT. LEBANON HORNETS

NORTH PITTSBURGH WILDCATS

PENS ELITE

PITTSBURGH AVIATORS

PITTSBURGH HUSKIES

PITTSBURGH PREDATORS

PITTSBURGH VENGEANCE

PITTSBURGH VIPERS

SOUTH HILLS PANTHERS

SOUTHPOINTE RINK RATS

STATE COLLEGE ICERS

STEEL CITY ICE RENEGADES

WESTMORELAND EAGLES

WHEELING NAILERS

YOUNGSTOWN PHANTOMS

PPE and ESMARK are close on fee’s, the travel pushes esmark to the top locally for cost. 

Not sure if a list of all associations was necessary but okay......

This is probably the most difficult thing to determine. Not necessarily at the PAHL A levels and lower but at the AAA, High AA PAHL and independent team levels. Travel costs, tournament fees, coach travel expenses and other "unknown fees" vary greatly. You practically need to be a CPA and have a reliable person at each organization to get an accurate measure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

This is probably the most difficult thing to determine. Not necessarily at the PAHL A levels and lower but at the AAA, High AA PAHL and independent team levels. Travel costs, tournament fees, coach travel expenses and other "unknown fees" vary greatly. You practically need to be a CPA and have a reliable person at each organization to get an accurate measure.

Right. Exactly right. The teams that get talked about most on here - the travel teams and "AAA" teams - are vastly more expensive to play on than just the organizational fees. I think there are lots of parents who aren't entirely clear that this is true, or just by how much it is true.

Even if you gather a bunch of prices, you can't use that as an apples to apples comparison.  Every association offers different stuff in their programs.  Different ice amounts, different training options, etc.  And every association has a different ice rate from their home rink.

7 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

Even if you gather a bunch of prices, you can't use that as an apples to apples comparison.  Every association offers different stuff in their programs.  Different ice amounts, different training options, etc.  And every association has a different ice rate from their home rink.

100% correct.  Almost needs to be broken down as $$ amount per hour of ice time or training, or however you want to break it down so that it can be compared accurately.  

I won't rehash what has already been said about season fees, but to your original question about tryout fees they will range between $150-200 with a commitment fee anywhere from $400-600 if your player accepts a position with an organization.

But be careful when it comes to commitment fees - some organizations are going the route that if your player is offered a position on their top team, say a PAHL organization with an AA level team. they may keep the commitment fee regardless if your player accepts the position or not.  They are doing this to prevent players from trying out with multiple organizations and putting some of them on hold while said player is weighing their options outside of the commitment deadline which creates problems for player placement.

1 hour ago, The King said:

True and sad. This is your consumer based hockey culture 

Unless a parent is wealthy, cost is always a question.  That being said, making a decision purely based on cost is not the smartest way to go about things in my opinion.  It helps to know what you are getting for your money.

Cost for tryouts and yearly fee difference between all the organization’s? Are they all about the same? - the simple answer is YES.

Exceptions are AAA team, which likely don't apply to person who is asking. Otherwise you would know the answer...

What is different, is what you get for this "about the same cost".

If you are at the beginner level, then comparing on cost difference is not worth it. More on a convenience and "where friends go". If you decide to compare on true cost, then you need to factor in the following:

A. Total Program Fee (all fees, including teem fund, uniform, club fees, etc. Do not include travel fees/costs)

B. Total number of Instructional Hours (Ice practices + games + off-ice instructions)

Get the Cost Per Instructional Hour A/B. Before making conclusion, consider adjusting for C and D:

C. Professional Vs Non Professional coaches/Skills instructions (depending on how YOU feel about it. For example, you may decide that extra $5 per Instructional Hour worth the Pro Coach option.)

D. Convenience. Cost (gas, time) to cover the distance from your house to a rink. For example, if you plan to bring your kid to 100 practices/games in a season, the difference in cost/convenience between the 10-min away rink, and 1hr away rink would be huge. And of course time: drive + dress up + practice = you stuck at the ring Vs dropped off, go home, come back later to pick up....

So, since it's sort of an added cost to play I just posted here in lieu of starting another thread. It was nice to see an email yesterday that in the midst of all of this you could count on Posey to make sure that you knew he and PIA were still open to accept your money for his tune-up camps. Damn the Covid-19, full speed ahead.

18 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

So, since it's sort of an added cost to play I just posted here in lieu of starting another thread. It was nice to see an email yesterday that in the midst of all of this you could count on Posey to make sure that you knew he and PIA were still open to accept your money for his tune-up camps. Damn the Covid-19, full speed ahead.

How else is your elite squirt gonna make the big show?

From a PIA email: Our staff has taken increased steps to ensure a safe environment for our customers, and public areas will be disinfected on a regular basis.

So one positive out of this pandemic is that they may actually clean that filthy rink. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ynot02 said:

From a PIA email: Our staff has taken increased steps to ensure a safe environment for our customers, and public areas will be disinfected on a regular basis.

So one positive out of this pandemic is that they may actually clean that filthy rink. 

Very true! A new enrollment was just sent out the rink is closed now. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I watched on the news last night that Heritage Valley, AHN and Excela Health have all stopped all elective surgeries but UPMC has not done so. As I watched the UPMC talking head doing her best to justify it and spinning it different ways, I thought to myself has there ever been two better partners in the name of greed than UPMC and the PPE?

Me thinks not, but would like to hear thoughts.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, dazedandconfused said:

So, I watched on the news last night that Heritage Valley, AHN and Excela Health have all stopped all elective surgeries but UPMC has not done so. As I watched the UPMC talking head doing her best to justify it and spinning it different ways, I thought to myself has there ever been two better partners in the name of greed than UPMC and the PPE?

Me thinks not, but would like to hear thoughts.

They go together like peanut butter and jelly, considering my kids played for ppe and I have had upmc health insurance in the past, my input should matter on this ? I’ll stick with highmark!