2020-21 Tryouts?

Ok, lets open the dialogue about what's going to happen with the forthcoming tryout season in regards to the Corona Virus and closings everywhere.

I could be wrong, but this might be a very odd spring/summer if tryouts get delayed indefinitely.

With the bulk of teams normally doing tryouts in April, this will get quite interesting if the rinks are closed for a while...

(on the other hand, if the rinks are closed, that would be a perfect time for many rinks to melt their YEARS OLD ice and redo their ice surface)...

This as been on my mind. One assumes that contingency plans have to be in place (though the way that most organizations work, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most of them don't have a plan at all). I know I have been talking to people about this at our organization.

My kids are scheduled to tryout in mid April, and their tryouts begin just at the outside edge of most closures. It's certainly interesting times.

In theory couldn't most organizations hold tryouts even as late as June/July and still keep there normally scheduled August practice start times? Yes, this wouldn't be ideal, and I know there are teams that practice and/or play in tournaments over the summer but at least it wouldn't derail next season completely. I am still optimistic that the real big threat and impact of this will be a thing of the past come May or so.

50 minutes ago, Chinstrap said:

Probably not a stretch to think that most every organization already has their top two or three teams at each age grouping already chosen; probably been chosen since January or so.

This is surely 100% true.

14 minutes ago, forbin said:

In theory couldn't most organizations hold tryouts even as late as June/July and still keep there normally scheduled August practice start times? Yes, this wouldn't be ideal, and I know there are teams that practice and/or play in tournaments over the summer but at least it wouldn't derail next season completely. I am still optimistic that the real big threat and impact of this will be a thing of the past come May or so.

Well, yes, assuming that the ice is available. Many rinks have already contracted out their ice for the summer nearly completely. This is a challenge. It's not an easy situation, sadly.

1 hour ago, Lifelongbender said:
1 hour ago, Chinstrap said:

Probably not a stretch to think that most every organization already has their top two or three teams at each age grouping already chosen; probably been chosen since January or so.

This is surely 100% true.

Not in my organization.  April decisions are made in April. 

1 hour ago, Jack Handey said:

Not in my organization.  April decisions are made in April. 

Honestly, and sincerely, that's great. That's probably how it should be.

I'm not an expert on other organizations, but in my organization the top teams are, in general, pretty much set (maybe needing to add a player or two) LONG before tryouts. I'd guess that's true of others, too.

I’ve always tryouts should not start until mid July, pick your team and get going. Those summer months change the kids a lot. Never made sense to me why they are always right after the season. Young kids - some grow a lit over those late spring, early summer months. Older kids - their minds and bodies mature a lot over these sane months. 

• Like 1

I have to agree that later tryouts may be a good thing to experience.  I do agree that kids can change a lot in a few months and I also kind of like naming the team and starting practice a week later. I think that might reduce tryout hopscotch.

Edited by Scooby Doo
  • Like 1

As an FYI.....Below is the current proposal that came out this week from the WNYAHL in Buffalo  -  dates will most definitely change, all schools are closed there until at least 4/20. Below the WNYAHL proposal is the release from the NYSAHA that was sent to all organization this week regarding tryouts and penalties for recruiting violations. It will be interesting to see what PA does . First time there is a proposal on the table for staggered (AAA, AA) tryouts in WNY.

Monday, 4/20/20 tryouts can be for Tier 1 teams at:

13, 14u TB, 15 only, 16U TB and 18U TB along with Girls Tier 1 teams at 14u, 16u and19u.

Tuesday, 4/21/20 the Tier 2 (AA) clubs can conduct a tryout for:

13, 14u TB, 16U TB and 18U TB along with Girls Tier 2 teams at 14u, 16u and19u.

Wednesday, 4/22/20 the following:

Tier 1 and Tier 2: 12u TB

And 1 team per organization at age classifications of 9, 10u and 11

Thursday, 4/23/20

Tier 3 clubs – all teams any age classification

Any other travel team in a Tier 1 and Tier 2 organization

Friday, 4/24/20

Any team or teams that need another tryout to fill their roster

Any time after 4/25/20 signups can begin for house teams and other teams. No tryouts for MOHL or Empire house teams. These teams should only have sign ups.

www.nysaha.com/ 

URGENT UPDATE!! March 14, 2020

2020-2021 Tryout information - 

March 14, 2020

To all NYSAHA Association Presidents:

As everyone should be aware, earlier this week USA Hockey canceled its National Tournaments and NYSAHA cancelled its State Tournaments. With these tournament cancellations in mind, this letter is to notify everyone of the dates by which tryous may begin.

Based on this, tryouts for the 2020-2021 season can begin on the following dates (subject to change, if required). There will be no pre-signing of players prior to these dates, whether participants in or outside of your Association. The tryout dates are as follows:

• All age classifications youth and girls 12U and below can start April 22, 2020;

• All age classifications youth and girls 14U and above, whether Tournament-Bound or Non-Tournament Bound, can start April 20, 2020; and

• If your Section has rules that require tryouts to start later than the above dates, the Section rules will apply.

It should also be noted that pursuant to USA Hockey Rules, if the above tryout starting dates are violated, the Association may be subject to being sanctioned. Those USA Hockey sanctions are as follows – 

• For Tier I, the USA Hockey Youth Council has agreed that the violation of the recruiting and tryout rules by a Tier I team shall result in that team being ineligible to be recognized as a Tier I team and ineligible for National Championships for the season for which it was holding tryouts. 

• For Tier II, the USA Hockey Youth Council has agreed that the Affiliate has the authority to subject the coach, team, program and/or responsible administrators to appropriate discipline, or ineligibility of the team or coach for violation of the recruiting and tryout rules by a Tier II team. The Youth Council has strongly recommended that the appropriate discipline for a Tier II team’s violation of the recruiting and tryout rules is to prohibit said team from being recognized as a Tier II team and making said team ineligible for the National Championships for the season for which it was holding tryouts. 

• For both Tier I and Tier II, if a team is determined to be ineligible for National Championships, the Youth Council further recommends that players that were not subject to improper recruiting or tryouts should be released and (subject to roster deadlines) free to join an eligible team.

Finally, Associations should take note that coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions have been imposed by the State of New York, banning a gathering of more than 500 people in a facility. This means that a multi-rink building is limited to 500 people the same as a single-rink building. This may affect how tryouts are scheduled for the facility to remain within the 500 person limit. Other limitations, including local restrictions, may also apply. Please be mindful of this.

Thank you for your attention to these tryout considerations.

Yours in Hockey,

New York State Amateur Hockey Association, Inc.

Joe Baudo
Joe Baudo 

President

11 hours ago, hipcheck66 said:

Here’s how this will work most likely:

PPE will announce their post-Virus tryout schedule

Other organizations will attempt to schedule in the week to 10 days that follow

Since this is exactly how organizations schedule normally, this seems the most likely outcome this time too.

This is assuming that everything post-virus is status quo. I just don't see that being the case.

Starting at the Tier 1 level, PPE and Esmark mainly, are people going to be so quick to make that huge financial commitment?

For some, and maybe many, there is the reality that hockey gets axed from the family budget. I definitely see this having a major impact on the sport both Nationally and locally alike. Perhaps it will help to fix a few things and keep more teams playing more local hockey instead of the independent Tier 2 and faux AAA schedules. Unfortunately, it's also going to create a decrease in the number of participants next season.

You will also see a lot more "choices" being made between School hockey and amateur hockey. No longer will there be as many players able to make the financial commitment to both teams.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

This is assuming that everything post-virus is status quo. I just don't see that being the case.

Starting at the Tier 1 level, PPE and Esmark mainly, are people going to be so quick to make that huge financial commitment?

For some, and maybe many, there is the reality that hockey gets axed from the family budget. I definitely see this having a major impact on the sport both Nationally and locally alike. Perhaps it will help to fix a few things and keep more teams playing more local hockey instead of the independent Tier 2 and faux AAA schedules. Unfortunately, it's also going to create a decrease in the number of participants next season.

You will also see a lot more "choices" being made between School hockey and amateur hockey. No longer will there be as many players able to make the financial commitment to both teams.

That's an interesting take, @sadday4hockey. I hadn't considered the financial component of the current crisis in my model. I don't think it changes how tryouts will work, though.

On the other hand, there is probably an interesting discussion to be had on the potential effects of the COV-19 situation on hockey in the region in general, assuming that it continues to be an issue for any significant period of time. Surely there will be financial effects in everyday lives over time. That was a very interesting answer.

Mid Am is supposed to issue something for all levels of hockey and try outs. I hope we get to a point where this will still matter soon. Every day you hear something where the amount of time gets longer. Now we are into summer, with school districts seeming to start to gear up for closing for the rest of the year. Maybe the next time I invite my kid out to skate with me and I warn him it might be the last for a while, he will listen and join me. Keep healthy, everyone, 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The King said:

Can someone explain to me (without citing the rule in the rule book) how the MidAm district has any authority over any small, non-profit business, to dictate when or how said business conducts its business? As long as it doesn’t violate criminal laws (which they purportedly have supported and protected people doing for a very long time) what legal right do they have to tell anyone who the business can be done? I can see where they would make a gentleman’s agreement with the member clubs to wait until after a certain date to hold tryouts, but to mandate anything seems to be a violation of certain business laws. 

Not sure about midam, but with USA Hockey, USA LaCrosse, any of those types of governing bodies... it could have something to do with the organizations buying insurance through them, and the coverage/liabilities involved. Just a guess.