2020-21 Tryouts?

26 minutes ago, The King said:

I agree. Nobody should be having tryouts. But it has nothing to do with any perceived authority the governing body has to tell anyone they should or should not. The state and federal government is deciding what is acceptable and what is not. But here’s an example of what I’m talking about- say the CDC has given an all clear on July 1. USA hockey sets a date of August 1 For commencement of tryouts. Local rinks will open ASAP in order to begin making money again whether USA hockey says so or not. So if the rink is going to hold the clubs to their contracts, why would anybody not have evaluations, set a roster, and start practicing ASAP? If your answer is because USA hockey said so, you’re wrong. They have no legal authority to keep any organization from conducting business. That includes forming rosters and collecting fees in order to pay ice contracts. Simply doing things because USA hockey says so is irresponsible 

Obviously I don't agree with all of this, but the final truth is that we will see what happens. It's easy for any of us - myself included - to make predictions we will ultimately not be held up to scrutiny for.

1 hour ago, The King said:

I’m not sure I understand. You’re saying the government (State and federal) isn’t deciding the processes regarding COVRID? You think USA hockey makes these decisions on their own? 

Perhaps I was unclear, if you sincerely thought that first sentence was what I meant. Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive. From a regulatory standpoint, the government is making at large decisions about businesses being closed and gatherings being restricted.

At the same time, I do think that, like virtually all companies and organizations in the US, USA Hockey is setting their own official policies, in addition to those of the Federal and State authorities. In general, those policies are probably based upon, or actually nothing more than references to, government policies. I am entirely unsure what would happen if, for some reason, the government said it was OK to resume normal living and USA Hockey still wanted people to hold off on hockey operations. It's not clear to me what effect a USA Hockey policy would have in this case. Since the organizations rely upon USA Hockey for collective insurance, they may have more influence on organized hockey operations than expected. The assertion made above that the purpose of insurance provided by USA Hockey is to protect USA Hockey is only partially true; the insurance makes it much less expensive (and, perhaps in some cases, is the only thing that makes it possible) for local organizations to have insurance to protect the local organizations, and to protect the rinks. Without the insurance provided by USA Hockey, it's likely that many organizations would not be able to afford insurance in order to have operations.

This is all academic, anyway, because I strongly doubt that USA Hockey would adopt a policy that was at odds with a government policy. In the case of complying with a government policy, that is its own built-in defense in a court room (which could be either weak or strong, depending upon the issue and the case, and the locality).

Edited by Lifelongbender

3 hours ago, The King said:

this barely scratched the surface but have fun with these 3

1. looks like Mid-Am had an independent audit recently.  https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/5328529-financials  
unless you are talking about your experience with another affiliate?

2. are you saying state/local should monitor federal or other way around?  I could see a need for more accountability at the local level.

3. given the current payment structure, it seems federal can't fund anything as they are already funded by local resources.  And in what way are they not already providing a unified objective structure?  

The entire line item for all contractors is $182k.  Guessing that covers camp instructors, tournament officials, EMTs, etc.  So its unlikely anyone is getting rich or wealthy from Mid-Am.  And since it's a 501c3, any member should be able to request a look at the books and ask the questions you're asking.  Why not get with your local association membership, show up at the annual meeting, and ask your questions then?

51 minutes ago, The King said:

From what I hear, WPA has been oppressed by the district and many that have attempted to run for positions have been blackballed. 

I agree with the statement above.

I have tried before to get information on how to apply to be the midam registrar for WPA but heard back **crickets**. 

I have no idea who the people are that run the midam district but it certainly seems to be a closed club.  Nobody's bio is posted and I have no idea what the qualifications are to even hold position at MA.

Edited by Scooby Doo

2 hours ago, The King said:

I had to put another admirer to bed. 

Yes, it was a controversial, unsavory decision on that hiring.  That same organization has obviously heard the outcry, and strengthened its stance on the issue of discrimination.  It increased the severity in disciplinary measures for expressed prejudice.  It formed a new outreach program led by a national director of diversity and inclusion.  Let's really own our stance though.  Well before SafeSport and well before that hiring, and for as long as I can remember, race and gender have been hot topic at every national meeting, every district meeting, and even occasionally at our local meetings.  Even as recent as January - the local league executive director outlined a need for a diversity & inclusion committee to assess and act in our market.  Numerous match penalties were handed out this season under the new ruling mentioned above.  So yeah, one high profile wart vs thousands of people governed and positively guided by national membership policy.  But let's burn it all down per the King.

And regarding your disciplinary report, it's probably a good thing that you didn't get it.  There are summarized discipline reports handed out all the time at district and local level meetings.  Why didn't you just work through your local member association to obtain?  Was the answer going to be a definitive go-pound-salt?  And who the heck asks for this kind of stuff anyway?  It seems you've got some more ax to grind, in which case I have to applaud the governing body's position.

• Like 2

It's clear that it's personal with you.  Whatever USA Hockey did to you... it's personal. 

You've said your peace over and over on this forum. 

We get it. 

Now, on behalf of the people who just want to read and talk about local hockey, we'd all wish you'd put it to rest. 

It's a tired message.

Focus on the positive. 

Focus on local.

Please.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

It's clear that it's personal with you.  Whatever USA Hockey did to you... it's personal. 

You've said your peace over and over on this forum. 

We get it. 

Now, on behalf of the people who just want to read and talk about local hockey, we'd all wish you'd put it to rest. 

It's a tired message.

Focus on the positive. 

Focus on local.

Please.

Completely agree Jack. Now it’s time to stop feeding this troll. He is obviously a poser who supposedly has no kid playing but is just so interested in the betterment of hockey. Please - we all know better. He or his kid must have been suspended and now he’s on a mission. Trying to build his army of resistance through a message board is sad. Those who cry corruption are often the most corrupt of all. 

Looking forward to getting back to relevant conversations. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:11 AM, Paul Baxter said:

Ok, lets open the dialogue about what's going to happen with the forthcoming tryout season in regards to the Corona Virus and closings everywhere.

I could be wrong, but this might be a very odd spring/summer if tryouts get delayed indefinitely.

With the bulk of teams normally doing tryouts in April, this will get quite interesting if the rinks are closed for a while...

(on the other hand, if the rinks are closed, that would be a perfect time for many rinks to melt their YEARS OLD ice and redo their ice surface)...

Getting the train back on track.  I predict rinks will be closed until mid-July.  That will get teams scrambling.  However, you cab bet that there are tons of teams that are already making backdoor deals with players right now, and tryouts if they happen will be just for show.  Too bad for kids that move to new areas or are trying to change teams, they are out in the cold.  I will agree with some here, not sure what authority USA Hockey has to tell teams what they can or can't do, just like I am not sure what the Governor just did was legal either.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, The King said:

Well as far as myself I’ve fought my battles. Your district has many to go from what I hear. I know exactly what the rights of the members are and I appreciate you getting it out there for folks to see. I would encourage as many as possible to start questioning the leadership in district. From what I hear, WPA has been oppressed by the district and many that have attempted to run for positions have been blackballed. 
As far as the budget, not all benefits are included in a budget. Financial or otherwise. 

Man that goes all the way down to pihl, President owns a rink that he sells ice time to the league he was president of, then he steps down to vp (still a paid position) and I haven’t followed it since then, guessing that was 2-3 years ago. 

Just an FYI, looks like New York, DC and some other areas have canceled all youth hockey tryouts.  Additionally stated if any team signs a player during this time they will be automatically disqualified to compete in Nationals.  Can they do this?

Please see the announcement from PVAHA regarding tryouts for the 2020-2021 season:

PVAHA Announcement Regarding 2020–2021 Tryouts
March 23, 2020

PVAHA is postponing all 2020–2021 team tryouts until further notice. This restriction applies to all Tier I, Tier II and Travel team tryouts that were scheduled to be held within Maryland, Virginia or the District of Columbia starting on or after April 8, 2020 for Tier I and April 25, 2020 for Tier II/Travel.

As everyone should be aware all ice rinks within PVAHA are currently closed based on state or local restrictions. The PVAHA board of directors will continue to monitor Federal and State restrictions and recommendations and reschedule 2020–2021 tryouts as soon as possible.

Until new 2020–2021 Season tryout dates are announced by PVAHA, and started for each level of play (Tier I, Tier II and Travel), no association or teams shall have any player or parent execute any player agreement or contract for the 2020–2021 season.

If any PVAHA association holds team tryouts for 2020–2021 teams or requests player contracts or agreements for the 2020–2021 season before PVAHA authorized tryouts start, that Association and all association teams will be sanctioned through PVAHA discipline proceedings. Sanctions will result in all association teams being ineligible for National Championship, District Championship and Affiliate State Playoffs. If PVAHA determines that an association violated PVAHA 2020–2021 tryout restrictions, all players with that association will be released from that association by PVAHA without any financial obligation and (subject to roster deadlines) be free to join other eligible teams.

So, this delay brings up an interesting question for me.  If kids are not allowed on the ice for camps or to play spring hockey, and all kids will have to tryout "cold".  Will this have an affect on who get chosen?  I know when my kid was playing, he needed a week or two at "game speed" to get back in the groove of things, which is why I always thought that tryouts in early spring benefitted him.  If they have some sort of abbreviated tryouts in August after being off the ice for 5 months, I think he would look worse than normal.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

So, this delay brings up an interesting question for me.  If kids are not allowed on the ice for camps or to play spring hockey, and all kids will have to tryout "cold".  Will this have an affect on who get chosen?  I know when my kid was playing, he needed a week or two at "game speed" to get back in the groove of things, which is why I always thought that tryouts in early spring benefitted him.  If they have some sort of abbreviated tryouts in August after being off the ice for 5 months, I think he would look worse than normal.

Thoughts?

I had the same thought, however, since every kid would be in the same boat, it should even out. What I think will make a bigger difference is that you will see which kids have used this time to work out and try to stay in shape vs. those that sat around playing video games the entire time.

Both good points.  I know I have seen some kids take a few months off and hit the ice and look like they haven't missed a step.  Others look like they have never been on skates before.  Chinstrap brings up a good point.  You have a Pens and friends kid who spends the entire time doing nothing and looks horrible and some outsider comes in and blows his doors off.  In the end, the insider will still make the team, it will just make the shenanigan's that go on every year even more apparent. 

• Like 1