2020-21 Tryouts?

18 hours ago, The King said:

Eddie, nobody is a fan of the Pens here but it’s not just them. The practice of pre forming teams isn’t even restricted to AAA. I would say 99% of teams at all levels in all areas have the core of their roster chosen way before they even announce tryouts. It’s a pre-requisite now.  That’s how some determine whether they will have teams or not. But the fact that teams who’s tryouts are highly attended do this is more irresponsible and incompetent than corrupt. They’re using it as a fund raiser sure. But they’re also dumb to pass over a good player to take a friend. I would say the Tier 2 teams that do it are as dumb as you can be. Plus that’s where the competitiveness comes in. Not in playing the game. But if AA team 1 takes players from AA team 2, coaches and parents are pushing that as the competition. And that’s not true competition. That’s just jealousy. 

Agree with your assessment.  My original post was a bit narrow-focused to say the least.  This is not just a PPE issue, or a AAA issue or a Pittsburgh issue, or probably even just a hockey issue.  I am sure this will run rampant across all sports in all regions.  Good point.

USA Hockey Strongly Recommends that there is no Tryouts Spring or Summer.

i don’t see Try - Outs until August September.

With the 2nd and 3rd waves coming do you think there will be Hockey next year?

If a Rink gets this Virus in their place and kids and Teams come down with it. 

For God sake if a kid dies with that a Lawsuit having the rink open doing this pandemic I don’t see Hockey next year.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PeterThePuck said:

USA Hockey Strongly Recommends that there is no Tryouts Spring or Summer.

i don’t see Try - Outs until August September.

With the 2nd and 3rd waves coming do you think there will be Hockey next year?

If a Rink gets this Virus in their place and kids and Teams come down with it. 

For God sake if a kid dies with that a Lawsuit having the rink open doing this pandemic I don’t see Hockey next year.

I agree with @PeterThePuck on his last two sentences here - this is why I do think that organizations will follow USA Hockey recommendations.

At any rate, now that they've made recommendations, I guess we will see who is right about this issue eventually.

I wouldn’t expected to see tryouts start until the county is back to operational. Even then it’s all about the virus. Will there be a 2nd, 3rd wave ? Personally I think this is the second wave already. This was the worst flu & cold season I’ve seen circulate in hockey this year. I’m guessing late July could be the earliest tryouts begin, I would not be surprised if it was September or next season possibly played as a half season. 

I believe that's being misinterpreted. I think that is specific to the National Team program and it's feeder systems. With that said, tryouts for and possibly even an actual season for 2020-21 seem to be in more peril with each and every passing day. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of these days soon, one of the biotech companies is going to figure out how to cure the virus and the nightmare will begin to end.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I believe that's being misinterpreted. I think that is specific to the National Team program and it's feeder systems. With that said, tryouts for and possibly even an actual season for 2020-21 seem to be in more peril with each and every passing day. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of these days soon, one of the biotech companies is going to figure out how to cure the virus and the nightmare will begin to end.

*crossing fingers

I think that a season will still be possible even if tryouts were held Aug/Sept/Oct. with the season Oct/Nov. through Feb (normal ending date).

Time will tell.

The main thing is we all need to be really careful and get through this peak so that the damage is minimized.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:44 PM, Paul Baxter said:

I think that a season will still be possible even if tryouts were held Aug/Sept/Oct. with the season Oct/Nov. through Feb (normal ending date).

Time will tell.

The main thing is we all need to be really careful and get through this peak so that the damage is minimized.

Anyone else been around long enough to remember when tryouts every year were Aug/September?

Edited by Spear and Magic Helmet

14 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Anyone else been around long enough to remember when tryouts every year were Aug/September?

Yes, but that was probably 30+ years ago.  There was a conversation on NHL Network Radio a week or so ago about tryouts and the Spring tryouts apparently sprang out of the GTAHL as a way to keep minimize the "recruitment" of players because they are not bound by geographic boundaries.  What ended up happening was most/all of the organizations would schedule their tryouts on the same day so that you still had very limited ability to "organization shop".

I had a chance to speak to an organization's president last week and he said that he's anticipating August/September tryouts for PAHL teams with PPE probably going in late July depending on what happens with the NHL season since getting the Penguins back on the ice will take priority at that facility.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Snap Shot said:

I had a chance to speak to an organization's president last week and he said that he's anticipating August/September tryouts for PAHL teams with PPE probably going in late July depending on what happens with the NHL season since getting the Penguins back on the ice will take priority at that facility.

That's consistent with what I'm hearing from organizations around the South Hills.

So in visiting the PIHL website and PIAA websites, the winter/spring sports are "suspended" indefinitely.  So when the suspension ends, say in early May (or whenever) does the PIAA and PIHL actually expect to resume sports in which their players haven't practiced for months? 

I have no idea why they haven't just formally cancelled things. Even if we get back to normal (??) on May 1, I just don't see it being of any practical nature to have HS sports for a month.  I just think these orgs are sad they will be losing $$ more than anything.

Having numerous friends in the medical field, and hearing what they are saying, it leads me to believe that this is not going to end until mid June to beginning of July.  What they are saying by "end", means that you will see a protocol that looks something like this.  June allow for individuals to start socializing within family (i.e. grandparents, parents that you didn't quarantine with).  That would last a couple weeks, then onto the next phase where small business would be able to start opening with a limit to individuals being allowed in and allowing for small groups of 20-25 at a social gathering.  This would simply increase lets say every couple weeks to a month but according to them you wont see groups of 100 or more being allowed to congregate until a vaccine is implemented into the public.  So in regards to hockey and tryouts, it leads to some very interesting outcomes.  I can foresee tryouts not taking place until end of August into September.  How they will handle keeping the number small enough in a rink to host tryouts to be allowed, I have no idea. Now I'm not, nor are they part of the team of decision makers in this country but what they say seems like a very good possibility.  On top of that are they going to open up the rinks for tryouts without giving these kids the opportunities to skate, not get some stick time, and just throw them in?  My projection is that tryout season is going to be absolutely crazy over a very short time frame of about 3 weeks.  

23 hours ago, Paul Baxter said:

So in visiting the PIHL website and PIAA websites, the winter/spring sports are "suspended" indefinitely.  So when the suspension ends, say in early May (or whenever) does the PIAA and PIHL actually expect to resume sports in which their players haven't practiced for months? 

I have no idea why they haven't just formally cancelled things. Even if we get back to normal (??) on May 1, I just don't see it being of any practical nature to have HS sports for a month.  I just think these orgs are sad they will be losing $$ more than anything.

Remember that all the rinks are taking out their ice. Even if we could start in May, it would take a little time to get ready to play those games.

Sadly this PIHL season has to be considered over, even if they're not officially cancelling anything.

6 hours ago, lurch8 said:

Having numerous friends in the medical field, and hearing what they are saying, it leads me to believe that this is not going to end until mid June to beginning of July.  What they are saying by "end", means that you will see a protocol that looks something like this.  June allow for individuals to start socializing within family (i.e. grandparents, parents that you didn't quarantine with).  That would last a couple weeks, then onto the next phase where small business would be able to start opening with a limit to individuals being allowed in and allowing for small groups of 20-25 at a social gathering.  This would simply increase lets say every couple weeks to a month but according to them you wont see groups of 100 or more being allowed to congregate until a vaccine is implemented into the public.  So in regards to hockey and tryouts, it leads to some very interesting outcomes.  I can foresee tryouts not taking place until end of August into September.  How they will handle keeping the number small enough in a rink to host tryouts to be allowed, I have no idea. Now I'm not, nor are they part of the team of decision makers in this country but what they say seems like a very good possibility.  On top of that are they going to open up the rinks for tryouts without giving these kids the opportunities to skate, not get some stick time, and just throw them in?  My projection is that tryout season is going to be absolutely crazy over a very short time frame of about 3 weeks.  

Ok, so I have a question then, if you won't see groups of 100 or more until a vaccine is implemented into the public, does that mean everyone has to get the vaccine?  What about people who don't believe in vaccines?

16 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

Ok, so I have a question then, if you won't see groups of 100 or more until a vaccine is implemented into the public, does that mean everyone has to get the vaccine?  What about people who don't believe in vaccines?

And that was my million dollar question to the one that works the most with this COVID mess.  You cant force someone to vaccinate, he explained that it wouldn't necessarily be a vaccination that would limit large groups but at least a treatment that had a background of working.  I think we will still see a hockey season, just think the tryouts will be later in the summer to early fall and season that will look more like November to March.  Hockey is unlike any other sport, these kids will need some ice time after being off for 3-4 months.  

6 hours ago, RegDunlop7 said:

As an American citizen, the government's response to COVID-19 -- forced closures of private businesses/institutions, stay-at-home orders, etc. -- has been pretty concerning for individual freedoms moving forward. Dangerous precedents are being established with little to no resistance.

Keep in mind those closures are being done at the STATE level... Not at the federal level. 

19 hours ago, The King said:

Anyone that would open their ice rink would be violating Federal, state and local orders. So nobody in the hockey community can hold tryouts or any functions BY LAW. Neither USA hockey nor it’s affiliates have any say in this. All they are doing is piggy backing on already established orders. This covers their asses legally. Basically, it’s like a teacher telling a student it’s against their rules to take drugs. What will be interesting to see is if rinks open when local or state lawmakers lift the shelter in place orders and medical pros deem it ok to congregate, what will organizations do if they aren’t told by an affiliate they are permitted. Meaning, we are given the all clear by federal and state governments so rinks that had been losing money decide to open. They contact their contracted customers and tell them they are open and will begin the contract year. All ice will be billed. However this affiliate seems to wait until they can piggyback so they don’t give the go ahead to hold tryouts or club events in time. They have zero legal right to tell anyone not to fulfill their contracts. I’m sure They can make an administrative decision to discipline a club that didn’t wait for them to tell them what to do but they can be sued for that. Either way, this letter is a waste of time for any of the members clubs and only serves to cover the affiliate

I agree that this letter is a "CYA Letter", but coaches and organizations will find ways around it, we all know it.  Instead of selling ice to an organization rinks will sell it to a parent or a coach, so that, in name, is who has the ice.  From experience I know that opens up some cans of worms from an insurance coverage level, but I would think we all understand that rinks are businesses and will find ways to bring in revenue.  I would argue that this letter covers MidAm and USA Hockey from an insurance level more than it dictates who can do what and when.

As far as the PPE questions:  

1.  Would there even be enough ice time available to add the Black teams back into the organization?

2.  I'm going to assume that the PPE/Dicks relationship is used by Dicks as a tax write off, so I wouldn't anticipate seeing that changing.