2020-21 Tryouts?

Given the uncertain economic status of the times, I would think that a good bit of parents won't be able to afford two teams this season. I could see a decline in middle school players in pihl, and could see second year bantams and midgets opting to play on the school team if given an ultimatum. The lack of older pahl teams may end up opening up more ice for the school teams. 

52 minutes ago, Paul Baxter said:

I believe that will also seal the deal that the HS Hockey playoffs are cancelled as well.

It’s a shame all around but varsity was down to just 2 championship games and two semifinals games I believe. The seniors have to be crushed both on varsity and JV. At least the younger kids in JV and MS will play again for their schools (hopefully)

The PIHL must be in a dream world.  Under what circumstances do they believe the playoffs could be finished even if the ice re-opens in Mid-May?

Organizations are already talking about having several weeks or longer of scrimmages, practice, etc (call it what you want), to get the kids back into shape heading towards tryouts.

Nobody has skated since early March.  Why they are waiting to cancel when every other sport has called it, I have no idea.  It's likely keeping a small glimmer of hope in these kids.

Fall Sports don’t see it happening to much Liabilities.

Would you travel to Eastern PA with 20,000 cases of Corona ?

Lets travel to Detroit, NJ, NYC, DC and Boston.

HELLL NOOO!

2020 will be a lost year and part of 2021

if parents want to travel you are NUTS

PAHL and PIHL your best bet stay local Pittsburgh numbers are low if they allow it.

• Haha 1

I agree, even if travel teams are ready to go by September, unless there is a vaccine out, I don’t see parents letting their kids play. You would be crazy to do it under these circumstances. Personally  I don’t see youth sports coming back at all in 2020, especially hockey. Hopefully there are antibody tests done regularly and a vaccine is ready by late 2020. I do fear if this scenario plays out, some rinks could fold. I highly doubt there will be any form of youth hockey for the rest of 2020. Just my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

Tryouts might happen in July/August.  No travel until the fall at least.  How many kids decide to pack it in and don't play becasue of this?

You may have a good point there that travel may be down this fall and winter due to people being a bit more cautious.  Where once you had mostly everyone on a team go to away tourneys, may turn into 50%-75% or not even having enough players to go.

Tourney participation may be down as a result... and some orgs may not want to travel to away tourneys either.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

In general, many AAA families especially at younger ages, are out of touch with reality. I'd be shocked if they didn't travel unless there are specific regulations about it. 

USA Hockey is not going to let anyone back anytime soon. 

8 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Appears youth baseball is being canceled for the summer, hockey won’t be back in the fall. I doubt we will see hs football this year. It will be a solid year from now until things get back to “normal” once a vaccine is released. 

Nah, they will tell us there is another "wave" of it before then.  Normal is something we will just remember.  Look at what California and Michigan are doing right now, and tell me if you think things will ever be "normal" again.

12 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

In general, many AAA families especially at younger ages, are out of touch with reality. I'd be shocked if they didn't travel unless there are specific regulations about it. 

Well, what I think is clear is that if hockey happens, there are PLENTY of people who will let their kids play. Even travel. That's just the way of the world.

1 hour ago, The King said:

This is more than likely true but what will everyone be going back to? Football, Baseball and soccer don’t rely on privately owned facilities that barely make a profit when they’re full and all ice is sold out. This will shut down some ice rinks. Maybe they are bought for pennies on the dollar by a new owner but I think business owners are rethinking what a smart investment is as well. Amateur athletics might have taken a huge leap toward eradication. It was headed that way anyhow but this may have expedited it.

Valid points and similar to what I have been thinking. Honestly, this is the end of how things once were. There will be a new normal that won’t happen until a vaccine is in place. I was just reading all summer concerts are canceled and it’s looking like they won’t be back until 2021, I suspect youth sports will be the same. Some of my friends disagree, time will tell. I do not think colleges even go back for the first semester, they continue online. Folks, get ready. If this is how it plays out western pa will lose a rink or two. 

T

12 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Valid points and similar to what I have been thinking. Honestly, this is the end of how things once were. There will be a new normal that won’t happen until a vaccine is in place. I was just reading all summer concerts are canceled and it’s looking like they won’t be back until 2021, I suspect youth sports will be the same. Some of my friends disagree, time will tell. I do not think colleges even go back for the first semester, they continue online. Folks, get ready. If this is how it plays out western pa will lose a rink or two. 

The western PA region can hardly afford to lose any ice, but that does seem like a VERY likely outcome of this situation. Hopefully someone comes along who wants to buy them out, but it sure seems like investors for ice arenas are few and far between. There were already a slew of rumors of rinks closing or struggling as it was.

I expect that 'eradication' is a strong word for what is coming - I feel strongly that parents and players are too invested and dedicated to their sports for that - but you can bet that the new normal will be both smaller and weirder than what we had going on before. I worry if some organizations will have trouble getting ice in the coming new normal.

35 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

LOL, I logged on here specifically to post this, but you beat me to it.

I can hear the complaining by parents whose kids play there after this is all over. Neither of my kids have played there in over 7 years, but there are games there.

What a situation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, aaaahockey said:

NO matter what age... the local AAA teams have a tough enough time getting teams to come in and play them when there isn't a pandemic.   I think the AAA teams locally should punt this year and offer practice and light game schedule only and allow their players to play for their local PAHL Affiliate's AA team this season or high school middle schools.. and of course reduce the rate.   I know that wouldn't happen, but I can't see paying 5000 + for my son to play 15-20 games and to play against other teams that are willing to travel to pa and probably aren't AAA competitive.

If Tryouts would get announced, it'd be interesting to see how each org prefaces what their schedule will be without travel to Canada/Mi/WNY  .  It'll be hard to get a 50+ game schedule in for the Tier 2 AAs and Tier 2 AAAs or independents....  Almost impossible for the AAA teams to get any games unless they paly the other local teams, but at most age groups there are 2 or 3 that might be competitive.

MidAm just released June 15th as the date that hockey activities can start.  Rinks being open is up to the government and how they are handling the community at large.  

Does this open the door to organizations not holding tryouts and just naming teams?  If ice isn't available, but an organization wants to move forward with building a plan for the upcoming season, does anyone see something like this happening?

AAHA announced a couple days ago that they are allowing Tier 1 programs to start offering player contracts starting June 1st.  Some programs saying if there are any unfilled roster spot on respective tier 1 teams after initial player contracts given out then there may be a tryout later to complete rosters.