2020-21 Tryouts?

Yeah, so the problem i see is with the older age teams...u16 and u18. There are kids that may have been AA the year before, worked there butt off in the gym, on ice clinics, sticktime not to mention they may have hit a growth spurt who will conceivably not have a chance to at least compete for a roster spot. We are told its about developing at your own pace and to put in the hard work to get the results you want. I guess not this year.

if the atlantic amateur hockey assoc is doing this i bet mid am is not far behind

On 5/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, The King said:

I’ve said all along that all of this will happen. The Current culture considers try outs exclusionary and discriminatory. Who formed this culture? Parents of players who either can’t or won’t see the benefit of amateur sports besides being a social event as well as the spineless organizational leaders who don’t have the integrity to fight the culture or have a need to further their personal agenda. 

I heard from somebody in central PA that apparently the State College association was proposing going to "balanced teams" as opposed to putting the like skilled players together and trying to play at as high a level as possible within PAHL.  Apparently this got shot down once parents heard about it, but it goes to prove what "The King" wrote above.

2 hours ago, The King said:

This is why I always say to blame the parent for being self serving before you’re going to blame the organization for being greedy. Believe me, self serving parents came long before the greedy organizations. They created the monster. 

AMEN!!!

The Armstrong Amateur Hockey League including the Arrows "National Bound" Program 14U Prep/16U/18U are not forming teams at this time. We plan to hold tryouts as usual once USA hockey permits. A tryout schedule will be posted on the Armstrong Arrows league website: armstrongarrows.com and keep watching for updates on our Armstrong Arrows "National Bound" Hockey Teams Facebook page.

5 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

WTF is 14U Prep?

Prepping them for Prep school! Makes about as much sense as PPE's new *not associated with any school* Prep team.

Haven't you heard about the new Pittsburgh Super Selects High Performance Elite Prospect Prep 6U Mite team?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, The King said:

The “evenly balanced teams” is always brought up by the parents on the board that have kids that can’t cut it on the “higher level” teams

Apparently this is EXACTLY what happened with the State College Icers stuff.  There were some board parents whose kids were put on a team that was well above their skill/ability level and instead of telling their kids to work and get better, they tried to level the playing the field so that nobody had their feelings hurt.  I guess the organization wanted to do it at the 10U and 12U levels, after having a AA 10U team for the 1st time in years and there were feelings hurt because people's kids "made" the AA team, but were "thrown into the deep end of the pool" and couldn't keep up/compete at that level.  The organization tried to sell it as a skill development thing that would benefit "everyone".

Wow King,  What is there to rule?  I do find your opinions very interesting.  You seem to know an awful lot about the inner workings of USA Hockey and Mid Am Hockey. I'm guessing that you have been or were involved with Amateur Hockey for a very long time and have seen it develop into what it is now.   I'm sure that you don't like what it is now.

Anyway I tend to be a glass half full guy and hope that people are in it for the right reasons.

The State College teams have low numbers. Their PW team barely had 12 players two years ago. I am guessing that they are struggling to form teams of like skill. When you have that situation, you see all kinds of formats tinkered with, none of which end up being good for all kids. That is not unusual in a smaller market. But this Board always assumed the worse. With PSU's hockey team having success, I would think that might change over the next few years. Hope to see growth there, because games at Pegula are so much fun for the visiting teams.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, The King said:

It was a clever connection of the name The King and the fact that most of my opinions seem to be coming to fruition. In reality I have the advantage of age and experience that helps accurately opine on the corruption and incompetence you see play out in front of you. The glass needs to stay half full. That’s how they keep you hooked. I’d suggest more cynicism. It forces adherence to rules and a standard of performance by the folks in charge. To this point, they do nothing for you expect decide where your money goes.

giphy.gif.0ce6a561fe444e4110bf463007e15412.gif

47 minutes ago, The King said:

By the way, did you do any scientific research to come up with the 90% number you mentioned? You’ll lead your kid to the slaughter like the others because you failed as an athlete and pretending your kid is one makes you feel, let’s say, non-impotent.

no good Lord you try to fight about everything.  i said it is my guess and based on people i’ve talked to. that’s it! you don’t want anyone to have a discussion on this board without you trying to be combative and without giving your input. makes you feel important i guess. kinda sad!!!!!

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

King sure spends a lot of time talking about youth sports for someone who keeps telling everyone else not to waste their time! It is hilarious!  

I can’t speak for @The King but mine are now done. Will I still stay active around here ? I don’t know, current circumstances has me still hanging around. What I will say though, after watching my kids play hockey and being involved at times for about 20 years now, it’s hard to completely let go. I’ll probably still attended some games if there is a season. My boys will still want to see some of their younger friends who are still playing. They have younger cousins still playing. The point I’m driving to, the king at some point was obviously deeply involved in hockey. Are his kids aged out like mine ? Was he a coach ? Whatever it was, this is a sport that’s not easy to let go and there is nothing wrong with that. I know some of you get butt hurt easy, personally I don’t agree with everything he says BUT the guy does leave behind valuable information. Maybe it helps one of the younger hockey parents. What I know now compared to what I knew when my oldest started is almost embarrassing to me at times. 

3 minutes ago, The King said:

No kids playing and they certainly didn’t play in WPA. I have extensive experience in the area but haven’t for some time. But I still have lots of colleagues in the area. It’s not the sport. It’s the culture. The sport is great. All sports are. All youth sports used to be a part of the maturing process. Now it’s been exploited for money. And by people that have zero to do with helping the participants. Skills coaches and bench coaches deserve to be paid for what they can do and what they spend their time doing. What’s disgusting is how clubs, teams, governing bodies have exploited the fact that this generation of fathers are lazy pussies and only want to post on Facebook that their kid won a 6th place trophy at a showcase run by Hockeytime productions. These same “men” think making their kid sweat is a Jailable offense.  But enough about me. 

I don’t disagree on the exploitation, my oldest got drafted into the ushl on his own accord. Now, if you are not paying a advisor forget it unless your kid is a generational talent. The landscape has changed a lot just in the last 4 years. I’m watching parents send their kids across the country to play peewee hockey.

13 minutes ago, The King said:

Not we like you’re in some select group of folks that get its It’s you and a large portion of the USA hockey membership that don’t get it and keep wasting your money hoping that the pretend athlete you raised makes your wife happy. But again, its what feeds the machine.  Lots of folks have kids who gain a lot out of the sport IN SPITE OF THE EXPLOITATION because they either have actual athletes, know how to raise their kids and be hands off, get lucky enough to find a coach that knows what they’re doing, or just get out early enough. You’re part of the group that invites the exploitation. And frankly, you deserve it. I used to want to help people like you but now I realize, you deserve to raise codependent money athletes and lose all your money. Just remember you, @fafa fohi, @Saucey, etc are universally mocked. If COVID has done anything, it’s helped flush out the pretenders and the exploited. You can’t wait to be bent over. Again, I’ll continue to mock you from a position of experience and intelligence. 

Dude, get a life. I know who you are and I have no interest in your 'advice'. I post an innocuous comment and you are all over me. Pretty sure there are plenty of people in this area mocking you. If you moved, you have no connection to the sport here so pipe down and move on. Better yet, get a job as a Russian bot because that would fit you well. Dear lord, got nothing better to do but stir trouble.

2 minutes ago, The King said:

Typical. You try to insert yourself into a conversation to feel relevant then back off and say the post was “innocuous”. You’re clueless. Every post you make proves my points. Get in line sheep.

I didn't personally go after anyone with my comment, jagoff. What is the matter with you? Oh no, I offered a different viewpoint. You are a bully, nothing more, nothing less. You do ok for a while then revert to infantile behavior again. 

• Like 1

Youth sports in general are a wreck. When paid high school coaches started running their own businesses outside of school, it was all over. Want to make the baseball team? You better be paying to attend the coaches summer training camp. Already on the varsity team? You better be volunteering your summer to helping the younger kids at the camp. Want to make the wrestling team? Better be attending the non-school affiliated trading program that the coach owns. Catch my drift? 

I had a kid who played hockey for me a few seasons. Not all year-round, put he'd play when he could. Well when I was putting a team together one season, his dad said he couldn't play because summer travel baseball was starting, with a team most of the school team was playing for. He said the kid would rather play hockey, but if he missed a summer on the travel baseball team- that he'd been on for 6 years- he probably wouldn't make it if he had to tryout again next season. And forget about playing for the varsity team. 

In regards to expense of hockey, and the nonsense parts of it- it would be the same for any sport, but your school taxes pick up most of the tab for those other sports. And a limited amount of community-owned rinks, like they have a lot of in other places up north- instead of a community pool, you have a community rink. That helps keep costs down. Then, with school teams, you have athletic directors who step in if things start getting stupid. Hockey, lacrosse, and other club sports have no real oversight like that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I had a kid who played hockey for me a few seasons. Not all year-round, put he'd play when he could. Well when I was putting a team together one season, his dad said he couldn't play because summer travel baseball was starting, with a team most of the school team was playing for. He said the kid would rather play hockey, but if he missed a summer on the travel baseball team- that he'd been on for 6 years- he probably wouldn't make it if he had to tryout again next season. And forget about playing for the varsity team. 

That sounds like some of the politics with a HS team in our town.  School initials are "GL".  Loads of double standards... some kids can miss practices for AAA and AA teams and get on the 1st line, others if they miss or late 1 practice for an AAA or AA team they're demoted to the 3rd/4th line.  A lot of schools aren't in the business of putting the best 20 players on the ice, which is the problem with PIHL teams and lack of oversight as I mentioned before.