2020-21 Tryouts?

1 hour ago, The King said:

It does thanks. Hopefully it resonates with the folks on here. One of my many pet peeves is the lip service people pay to adhering to the lessons amateur sports provide. See lip service is a term few understand anymore because talk with no action is an acceptable form of social behavior these days. For example, the endless “prayers for...” posts when a tragedy occurs. Never a thought of actually doing something to help. So when all of these folks say it’s about the kids on here, they then go and direct the kids entire life. Meddling and disrupting every aspect of it regardless of who it affects. That’s why I say amateur sports is dead as we knew it. Trophy shops are a booming business.

So true.  It reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. My kid started playing roller hockey.  I was asked to help out, but I know nothing about hockey (never played), I do know how to manage things (i.e. its what I do for a living), so I agreed to be league commissioner.  It was just a local house league in the middle of nowhere with an 8U, 10U and 14U divisions.  The league was in financial trouble and people didn't want to pay a lot to play.  I think it was $100 a season.  At the end of each season there was a pizza party, open skate and trophy's.  Division MVP, Defenseman and top goalie plus team trophies for all teams.  Well, the 8U I can actually see that, and I even conceded on the 10u.  But come on, a 6th place house league roller hockey trophy for a 14 year old?  I spoke with some of the kids, and none of them wanted trophies.  Even the 1st place team didn't care.  So, I thought, I'll keep costs down and just do 1st and 2nd place.  The parental uproar was UNBELIEVABLE!  I agree, amateur sports is dead and the parents killed it.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, The King said:

@Eddie Shore serious question, if your son who you admit wasn’t a great player, was in an area that didn’t have a team for everyone, had to make cuts, and didn’t allow him a place to play the sport, would you deem that cruel, exclusive, and discriminatory or accept that this is a learning experience and not everyone is cut out for it? I’m dating myself and I realize I’m at risk of being labeled a monster but with the glut of teams the WPA it seems anyone can do it 

Getting cut sucks at the time, but can end up being a great life lesson. I know it was a big lesson for me when I was cut during my youth hockey days. I have a decent story about that but won't bore you with it.

I do agree that there should be a spot to play for everyone, though. Everyone should have a chance to experience this sport if they want to give it a go - I mean, check out a low level beer league some night. But I don't believe in eliminating cuts or having everyone who wants play travel hockey, and I certainly don't believe in trophies for everyone.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:11 PM, Loach said:

Getting cut sucks at the time, but can end up being a great life lesson. I know it was a big lesson for me when I was cut during my youth hockey days. I have a decent story about that but won't bore you with it.

I do agree that there should be a spot to play for everyone, though. Everyone should have a chance to experience this sport if they want to give it a go - I mean, check out a low level beer league some night. But I don't believe in eliminating cuts or having everyone who wants play travel hockey, and I certainly don't believe in trophies for everyone.

I guess I am a little confused by your and King's spot for everyone statements.  Since I don't live in PA I really don't know, but all kids who want to play hockey, can play right?  I mean there are house leagues where everyone can play right?  So, no one is being excluded from playing if they want to correct? 

47 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

I guess I am a little confused by your and King's spot for everyone statements.  Since I don't live in PA I really don't know, but all kids who want to play hockey, can play right?  I mean there are house leagues where everyone can play right?  So, no one is being excluded from playing if they want to correct? 

I think this is generally true unless you live out in the borderlands of PAHL where there is sometimes a struggle to field full teams and there may not be as many opportunities for rec hockey, especially at older levels. If you were willing to drive 45-60 minutes you could still play rec somewhere. I think some players switch to roller as well where there are several rec leagues. 

23 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

In Western PA, there is generally a place for everyone to play. PAHL has B level brackets at every level - well, it's more like A minor for midgets, but that's a distinction without a difference. What wester PA does NOT have, for the most part, is house leagues. If you're playing, you're playing on a team that plays all around the metro area.

• 2 weeks later...

So tonight is the first night where the hopes and dreams of so many future NHL'ers come crashing down after the callback doesn't come. It will affect the players but for many it's a valuable life lesson. Then there's the parents............. most of them will never get over it. Ever.

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

So tonight is the first night where the hopes and dreams of so many future NHL'ers come crashing down after the callback doesn't come. It will affect the players but for many it's a valuable life lesson. Then there's the parents............. most of them will never get over it. Ever.

Nah won’t be until first cut, what day is that this year ? 

43 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

I will bet that a bunch of new players (or players that haven't been at the PPE tryouts yet) show up and make the team.  That's the typical PPE way things go.

My oldest just told my there was only 19 forwards & 10 defenseman at the 18’s tryout. When he was playing there it was always a minimum 60 skaters plus, Is this because their 03 birth year has been hand picked and together for years, covid or people don’t bother anymore ? That is a really low turn out. 

Hopefully it is the realization that U-18 AAA hockey is highly overrated and waste of time and money. Most Colleges have stopped recruiting this age group. They are heavily on the younger kids because that's where recruiting is now. Also, the best kids in this group are playing Junior or at elite prep schools. Some lower lever junior leagues may be there scouting but I guarantee you few if any DI coaches are. Take a look at the NHL draft rankings. Show me the kids that are playing U-18 hockey on the list.

14 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

plus it's "18u prep" now.  Does that mean there is a school or academy requirement now?  that would add a hefty price tag and force many prospects out.

I heard they named it “prep” so it looks good for that one 03 because he’s still here. 

35 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

My oldest just told my there was only 19 forwards & 10 defenseman at the 18’s tryout. When he was playing there it was always a minimum 60 skaters plus, Is this because their 03 birth year has been hand picked and together for years, covid or people don’t bother anymore ? That is a really low turn out. 

How many goalies just curious?

that is SUPER LOW count for the 18's.

That would tend to reinforce the idea that people are tired to going to this age group tryouts if the same select bunch make it every year.

30 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Hopefully it is the realization that U-18 AAA hockey is highly overrated and waste of time and money. Most Colleges have stopped recruiting this age group. They are heavily on the younger kids because that's where recruiting is now. Also, the best kids in this group are playing Junior or at elite prep schools. Some lower lever junior leagues may be there scouting but I guarantee you few if any DI coaches are. Take a look at the NHL draft rankings. Show me the kids that are playing U-18 hockey on the list.

Some kids just want the chance to play hockey after high school.  For the most part you have to play juniors to play Division 3 hockey or even to make some club teams.  You know this and the kids know this too.  Lots of student athletes play all sorts of sports at the Division 3 level.  They play because they want to not because they are getting a scholarship.  So, if the family can swing paying for AAA hockey in high school or even low level juniors let them.  It is their checkbook.       

15 minutes ago, twoboys said:

Some kids just want the chance to play hockey after high school.  For the most part you have to play juniors to play Division 3 hockey or even to make some club teams.  You know this and the kids know this too.  Lots of student athletes play all sorts of sports at the Division 3 level.  They play because they want to not because they are getting a scholarship.  So, if the family can swing paying for AAA hockey in high school or even low level juniors let them.  It is their checkbook.       

Have you been to these U-18 showcases? If so. How many college and junior scouts are there? At least scouts from legitimate junior leagues not some of the crap that is out there.

As for playing after HS. There are tons of places to play. Most schools have club teams. Some more than 1. But most of the kids playing on these teams did not play AAA hockey as HS seniors. Although with the growth of AAA hockey teams, I can see that changing since 90 percent of the U-18 teams will be AAA in about 5 years. Playing AAA as a senior won't improve your chances of playing at most of these programs against those playing in PAHL and of HS hockey.

34 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Have you been to these U-18 showcases? If so. How many college and junior scouts are there? At least scouts from legitimate junior leagues not some of the crap that is out there.

As for playing after HS. There are tons of places to play. Most schools have club teams. Some more than 1. But most of the kids playing on these teams did not play AAA hockey as HS seniors. Although with the growth of AAA hockey teams, I can see that changing since 90 percent of the U-18 teams will be AAA in about 5 years. Playing AAA as a senior won't improve your chances of playing at most of these programs against those playing in PAHL and of HS hockey.

My point is if you want to play at the Division 3 level or a higher ACHA Division 1 Club team you better plan on playing Juniors.

1 hour ago, Scooby Doo said:

How many goalies just curious?

that is SUPER LOW count for the 18's.

That would tend to reinforce the idea that people are tired to going to this age group tryouts if the same select bunch make it every year.

He didn’t say anything about goalies, one of his friends (02) went (he would be returning if he makes it).  

junior hockey, if you are Not playing in the ushl, nahl or ncdc don’t even waste your time or money, it’s a dead end. Pay to play juniors is not real junior hockey, it’s a money making model, 3/4th the teams would not be able to compete with midget aaa. The ncdc being the bottom of those three and they produce very few ncaa players. I know a lot of nahl kids who are now playing college club hockey. Obviously I’m talking about junior leagues in the state’s. 

40 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

junior hockey, if you are Not playing in the ushl, nahl or ncdc don’t even waste your time or money, it’s a dead end. Pay to play juniors is not real junior hockey, it’s a money making model, 3/4th the teams would not be able to compete with midget aaa. The ncdc being the bottom of those three and they produce very few ncaa players. I know a lot of nahl kids who are now playing college club hockey. Obviously I’m talking about junior leagues in the state’s. 

if you're talking Div I, then yes- those are the 3 jrs leagues developing those players.  but there are lots of NCAA D-III players playing in the EHL, which is tier iii pay-to-play. 

3 hours ago, twoboys said:

My point is if you want to play at the Division 3 level or a higher ACHA Division 1 Club team you better plan on playing Juniors.

I agree. What I am saying is most quality Junior A leagues recruit or draft their players from U16, Very few come from U18 rosters from the year before.

1 hour ago, champeen said:

if you're talking Div I, then yes- those are the 3 jrs leagues developing those players.  but there are lots of NCAA D-III players playing in the EHL, which is tier iii pay-to-play. 

The ehl is the top tier 3 pay to play no doubt, but the majority of those kids end up in acha. 

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

He didn’t say anything about goalies, one of his friends (02) went (he would be returning if he makes it).  

My player is an 02 but he wouldn't touch PPE with a 10 foot pole.  Twice in the past he went to tryouts, busted his butt and several goalies who weren't there before showed up for the last session before cuts, gave half an effort and they all make it meanwhile everyone else was cut.  He's done with those politics.  You can say we were a little heated after driving 90 minutes each way for like 4-5 sessions (TWICE) for this to happen TWICE.  

Edited by Scooby Doo

37 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

My player is an 02 but he wouldn't touch PPE with a 10 foot pole.  Twice in the past he went to tryouts, busted his butt and several goalies who weren't there before showed up for the last session before cuts, gave half an effort and they all make it meanwhile everyone else was cut.  He's done with those politics.  You can say we were a little heated after driving 90 minutes each way for like 4-5 sessions (TWICE) for this to happen TWICE.  

I get it. My oldest was on the other side for two years. Just had to show up and give a decent effort. Unfortunately most tier 1 teams along with Pahl aa teams are half picked before a tryout starts. It’s just the way it is. PPE seems to have the worse rep though with the 03 birth year due to one kid and his dad. 

10 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

This happens at the lower age groups also. The younger teams are getting players plucked away because of the politics up there. They don't care as long as they get their money. That's all that "non profit" cares about.