2020-21 Tryouts?

21 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

My player is an 02 but he wouldn't touch PPE with a 10 foot pole.  Twice in the past he went to tryouts, busted his butt and several goalies who weren't there before showed up for the last session before cuts, gave half an effort and they all make it meanwhile everyone else was cut.  He's done with those politics.  You can say we were a little heated after driving 90 minutes each way for like 4-5 sessions (TWICE) for this to happen TWICE.  

It sucks, and my kid has been on both sides of the fence with this issue. I've just come to the acceptance that goalie is a different position - there's probably always at least one forward or D spot up for grabs that a player who dominates tryouts could force their way onto a team. However, tryouts are generally set up to find out who the best skaters, best shooters, best players are. They are rarely set up to evaluate goalies properly.

Even if they do a bunch of goalie drills - it doesn't get at the essence of the position. What's the mental fortitude of the kid when they are playing in a tight game in the playoffs? Hard to recreate that in a tryout where there are 10 goalies switching out in the scrimmages. So, I think if the coach had goalies the previous year that he has confidence in, then there's no way for a new goalie to break in no matter how they look at tryouts. If there is an opening, then the tryouts matter more, but I kind of hope the coach also does his research and looks at what the candidates did do the previous season in big-game situations rather than relying solely on tryouts.

I agree with your point that all goalies should be at all tryout sessions.

I've done literally 100 tryouts at all levels from pee wee to midget A, AA and AAA. Goalies are tough but just making more saves doesn't tell the whole story. I look at how the kid moves in the net. Does he/she sit back in the net or on top of the crease. How do they track the puck. Recovery. The higher the level the more important those things are.

I had parents track saves in scrimmages or during the tryout thinking that's the be all end all. I ask him what was the percentage of saves made with kids who actually made the team vs the kids we were going to cut. I told him I had the numbers and his son finished 4th of 6th. Lying through my teeth but the guy believed me. In reality his son lack athleticism and the didn't make a save that didn't hit him. Played against him in a tournament and was lit up for 6 or 7 goals and didn't play the 3rd period.

Too contagious, too risky.
Yes, everyone is suddenly a scientist, physician, etc - but the first phase of this is already getting worse in FL, TX, AZ.

All sports at all levels  will end up being very limited due to those who don’t believe in real science. 

At least in western PA people did as they should (for a while) - hence the improving numbers

Just wear a mask - it’s simple and prevents spread. I, too, want this to be over but too many Americans tend to spout BS about rights, etc.

Read a book for a change

Meanwhile in reality the NHL isn't buying into the panic and going ahead and setting playoff dates: https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/nhl-sets-stanley-cup-playoffs-date-strict-coronavirus-guidelines/amp/

We are going to test every player every two days of course people are going to turn up positive. You think they are all going to die?  We all have to live our lives. This has been hashed to death here and everywhere else. If you don't feel safe, stay home and read a book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Meanwhile in reality the NHL isn't buying into the panic and going ahead and setting playoff dates: https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/nhl-sets-stanley-cup-playoffs-date-strict-coronavirus-guidelines/amp/

We are going to test every player every two days of course people are going to turn up positive. You think they are all going to die?  We all have to live our lives. This has been hashed to death here and everywhere else. If you don't feel safe, stay home and read a book. 

Wow $$$$$$$$$$ the article I read on CBC this morning painted a much different picture. 

26 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

It's like you have a massive wager on sports not ever being played. Every other day you post the same thing in some different form. This is getting shut down, that is getting shut down. Just watch Fox News and you'll always find out the true story.

Don’t have any horses in the game anymore, I’m genuinely interested to see how all this covid stuff plays out in youth sports. I have nephews along with family friends who still play hockey.  

Here's the thing. Most of these players (pro and college) are just showing up which means they were exposed to it prior to arriving. Like 90 percent of the people tested have/had it. Of the ten percent that have it most don't need hospitalization and just need to be quarantined at home. The sky isn't falling. This isn't round 2.

44 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Here's the thing. Most of these players (pro and college) are just showing up which means they were exposed to it prior to arriving. Like 90 percent of the people tested have/had it. Of the ten percent that have it most don't need hospitalization and just need to be quarantined at home. The sky isn't falling. This isn't round 2.

I don’t disagree but Auston Mathews  got it from his home town in Arizona. Now I just Read 30 LSU football players tested positive for covid, they went to a night club! The hysteria will start all over again. 

Don't argue with the idiots on this forum, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Folks like Danner27 want the world to burn, his/her kid(s) probably didn't make it to ACHA club, and want you to be as miserable as they are post investment.

If I'm wrong on that, get a f'ing life and go watch some ACHA puck. Plenty of guys have made NCAA III or a good ACHA I program out of Tier III juniors, you just have to put in the work. It ain't for everyone, especially the coddled rich kids who've never worked for anything.

If this strikes a tone with anyone, you're response be a sniveling outcry as expected.

Wear a condom to bed, you sissies.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:13 AM, Danner27 said:

I don’t disagree but Auston Mathews  got it from his home town in Arizona. Now I just Read 30 LSU football players tested positive for covid, they went to a night club! The hysteria will start all over again. 

So a serious question.  You see all these athletes, both college and pro showing up to camp and getting tested then coming up positive.  I will assume most if not all of them didn't know they had it (i.e. no symptoms).  They were not someone who started feeling sick and went to the hospital.  So, is it safe to assume that the majority of people at this young an age and in this good of shape, never know they have it?  If so, is it possible they have had it for a long time (i.e. from the time you catch it till it goes away, how long is that)? 

Or is there something else at play?  How reliable is the test (type 1 errors vs type 2)?  Is it possible that with all this extra testing going on, these people really don't have it and it is just a measurement system error?

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

So a serious question.  You see all these athletes, both college and pro showing up to camp and getting tested then coming up positive.  I will assume most if not all of them didn't know they had it (i.e. no symptoms).  They were not someone who started feeling sick and went to the hospital.  So, is it safe to assume that the majority of people at this young an age and in this good of shape, never know they have it?  If so, is it possible they have had it for a long time (i.e. from the time you catch it till it goes away, how long is that)? 

Or is there something else at play?  How reliable is the test (type 1 errors vs type 2)?  Is it possible that with all this extra testing going on, these people really don't have it and it is just a measurement system error?

Thoughts?

I don’t know the protocol, the LSU football team all picked it up at a night club a week earlier. the LSU kids are actually sick. Austin Matthews got tested because he had flu symptoms from his home in Arizona. I don’t know the Tampa bay lighting situation, just reported players and staff tested positive. 

10 hours ago, 1&done said:

Don't argue with the idiots on this forum, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Folks like Danner27 want the world to burn, his/her kid(s) probably didn't make it to ACHA club, and want you to be as miserable as they are post investment.

If I'm wrong on that, get a f'ing life and go watch some ACHA puck. Plenty of guys have made NCAA III or a good ACHA I program out of Tier III juniors, you just have to put in the work. It ain't for everyone, especially the coddled rich kids who've never worked for anything.

If this strikes a tone with anyone, you're response be a sniveling outcry as expected.

Wear a condom to bed, you sissies.

Maybe if you would read through my post history you would know what my history is with junior hockey. Pay to play junior hockey is a dead end.   

13 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Thoughts?

There are conflicting reports online regarding the accuracy of the tests currently available. Just a survey of the results on the internet suggests that a healthy skepticism is appropriate, but that it may be that one or more of the tests are actually truly accurate. I don't think that anyone really knows how accurate any of them are in the field under working conditions.

I do remember reading (I thought it was in the New York Times, but I can't find the article, so I can't be sure) that the tests in use at that time (probably this was in April) produced as many as 30% false positives. The article went on to discuss how a false positive is probably better than a false negative in the sense that if you take precautions because of a false positive, that's far better than taking risks because you erroneously believe you are definitely negative. This is a basic principle of this sort of testing.

The article also went on to discuss at length that the dangers of a high number of false positives include overly negative assessments of public exposure, and the simple fact that even if everyone were negative, you'd still believe that 30% of people were positive, thereby preventing lifting of any public safety measures.

If that 30% was correct at the time, which I cannot prove, and which number seemed stupidly high to me at the time and still does, one has to hope that with everyone working on a test method the accuracy of the testing has improved substantially.

21 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t know the protocol, the LSU football team all picked it up at a night club a week earlier. the LSU kids are actually sick. 

"No player or staff member has required hospitalization, SI reported, and only a few have experienced anything other than mild symptoms." - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/20/lsu-football-dealing-with-virus-outbreak-least-quarter-its-roster/

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

The PCR tests being used today are the most reliable and accurate.  These are the tests that require a nasal swab.  These are the most likely tests that are  being done by the teams, though I have not been able to confirm that.  They detect actual virus particles.  The virus they might miss would be an exposure within a day or so of the test, because the virus has not had time to spread in your system.  Otherwise your good.

The antibody/antigen test and not reliable.  The detect if you have one of 2 antigens in your system, indicating that you may have been exposed or had the virus.  They are not very reliable (ranges from 30% - 70% at one point).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, carroll81 said:

The PCR tests being used today are the most reliable and accurate.  These are the tests that require a nasal swab.  These are the most likely tests that are  being done by the teams, though I have not been able to confirm that.  They detect actual virus particles.  The virus they might miss would be an exposure within a day or so of the test, because the virus has not had time to spread in your system.  Otherwise your good.

The antibody/antigen test and not reliable.  The detect if you have one of 2 antigens in your system, indicating that you may have been exposed or had the virus.  They are not very reliable (ranges from 30% - 70% at one point).  

Thanks for clearing that up, because honestly I couldn't find information that was unambiguous and non-contradictory online. 

And here comes dictator wolf, bars getting closed down. Allegheny county possibly being moved back to yellow on wed. Y’all wanted to give me crap but can’t see the trees through the forest. Good luck to all paying travel hockey fees this year! 

52 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

And here comes dictator wolf, bars getting closed down. Allegheny county possibly being moved back to yellow on wed. Y’all wanted to give me crap but can’t see the trees through the forest. Good luck to all paying travel hockey fees this year! 

you sure seem excited and happy to be right. wow