Shaler Area Ice Hockey Varsity Coach

SHALER

The Shaler Area Ice Hockey Club is accepting resumes for the position of Varsity Head Coach.  The Varsity coach is responsible for the success of the entire Shaler hockey program -- from developmental through Varsity levels --  and must possess significant ice hockey coaching experience. 

Resumes should be sent to shalerareaicehockey@gmail.com and will accepted until the position is filled.

I found out Steedle was dumped. That's all you need to know about the program and who is running it. I'm sure they'll hire someone willing to put in 20+ hours a week needed to build a program. But they'll get someone who will put in the minimum and collect a paycheck and be gone in 2 years. And Dazed. Every program has crazy parents trying ruin their program, They just know or care how much damage they are causing. That's why HS has taken a huge step back in the past 10 years.

# 1 - Any hockey program that would not want Ron Steedle involved has to have rocks in their head (by the way they asked him to come back, which he declined to even consider it after going through this in 2005......shame on these people ?). He will land with a program who appreciates his contribution to the game and deserves him.  

# 2 - Shaler went 3-15 this year ? or whatever and the cupboard is still pretty bare, so who would want the job ? So there is no a big line of qualified candidates beating down their door. 

# 3 - To compare the Shaler program to the rest of High School Hockey is pretty unfair because there are plenty of programs who do things well and keep coaches and build development, both internally (MS and JV) and externally through the amateurs and those are the ones that year in year out are near the top.

# 4 Over the past few years, through Steedle and the Varsity coaches involved, Shaler was starting to re-build  the developmental program, recruit in the amateurs and get some decent players in the program. Watching from the sidelines, I watched the parents and coaches within the program at the lower levels act disgruntled and loosen the sand  under what they were trying to do, because of one reason and one reason only, because they are Shaler and that's in their DNA.

# 5 I wish them luck but this could be a program after 50 years on a swift decline 

11 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

# 1 - Any hockey program that would not want Ron Steedle involved has to have rocks in their head (by the way they asked him to come back, which he declined to even consider it after going through this in 2005......shame on these people ?). He will land with a program who appreciates his contribution to the game and deserves him.  

# 2 - Shaler went 3-15 this year ? or whatever and the cupboard is still pretty bare, so who would want the job ? So there is no a big line of qualified candidates beating down their door. 

# 3 - To compare the Shaler program to the rest of High School Hockey is pretty unfair because there are plenty of programs who do things well and keep coaches and build development, both internally (MS and JV) and externally through the amateurs and those are the ones that year in year out are near the top.

# 4 Over the past few years, through Steedle and the Varsity coaches involved, Shaler was starting to re-build  the developmental program, recruit in the amateurs and get some decent players in the program. Watching from the sidelines, I watched the parents and coaches within the program at the lower levels act disgruntled and loosen the sand  under what they were trying to do, because of one reason and one reason only, because they are Shaler and that's in their DNA.

# 5 I wish them luck but this could be a program after 50 years on a swift decline 

Did they ask him to come back as the head coach? If they did and he turned them down then it really says a lot about the people running Shaler. Or if they didn't ask him it also says the same thing.

." Watching from the sidelines, I watched the parents and coaches within the program at the lower levels act disgruntled and loosen the sand  under what they were trying to do, because of one reason and one reason only, because they are Shaler and that's in their DNA"

From what I heard, it is all this. 

Shaler used to be a class program and should be a warning to other programs. The fall is quick and could long time. As for the Shaler fans and parents. I realized how far the program had fallen was a couple of years ago. At a game, the students had a blow up sex doll in the stands. Their parents thought how it was the funniest thing. Then went out and got about 40 minutes in penalties.

I guess I answered my question why Steedle doesn't want to be involved in the program.

59 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Did they ask him to come back as the head coach? If they did and he turned them down then it really says a lot about the people running Shaler. Or if they didn't ask him it also says the same thing.

The word is that quote: "they were going to find something for him to do" .......what a slap in the face to someone who has given 30 years to the program. The problem is the Parent Board that is filled with many disgruntled parents and developmental coaches. The other coaches who were part of the Varsity were all on board for the long haul as well.  

I probably should have gotten more info. The previous head coach was coaching his kid (although Steve is a dam good coach) and I thought he quit since his son graduated. I didn't realize they dumped him. Clown show. I feel sorry for the kids because they are going to be part of a program that dumped a pretty dam good coaching staff and will be coached by a guy who doesn't care. To me that means they will get someone so far down on the desirability list Shaler is the only job he can get. Or someone who never coached HS before and has no clue how much harder and different it is than amateurs.

Denis

What needs to happen in High School Hockey is that these Parent Boards need to have a Hockey Person as a General Manager to be in charge of Hockey Operations, Developmental and Player Development. The Board exists solely as a Booster Organization to raise money and stay out of the Hockey Operations. The problem exists that these Parents pay the money therefore they think its their right to make hockey decisions including player placement, playing time, etc. and most of them are grossly unqualified make any decisions hockey related.  This is why school sanctioned sports has less of this non-sense because the Athletic Director serves as the GM and keeps parents out of the program's growth and development.

We all hear the horror stories and its unfortunate. I am proud to say that when I had a child playing, I stayed on the sidelines and the program was in very capable hands with an excellent parent group that raised a lot of money, supported the coaching staff and results netted two Penguins Cups and the program is still doing reasonably well. 

I agree with most. HS hockey boards are clueless. None have the long term interest in their program as a priority. It's what's best for their kids. And those in leadership are usually parents with JRs and SRs. So their self-interest is for one or two years.

Where I disagree with you is the head V coach should be the GM. Just like all the other HS head V coaches. They run and influence their program through the middle schools. At least the successful ones. A really successful V football coach makes sure his school's FR team uses the same terminology and runs about 10 - 12 of their core plays. So a FR could miss the first six weeks of practice and games and still not be lost if he goes to a V practice.

HS hockey boards should be like the football boosters. Raise money, support the team as needed by providing resources.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, Pa Hockey said:

Denis

What needs to happen in High School Hockey is that these Parent Boards need to have a Hockey Person as a General Manager to be in charge of Hockey Operations, Developmental and Player Development. The Board exists solely as a Booster Organization to raise money and stay out of the Hockey Operations. The problem exists that these Parents pay the money therefore they think its their right to make hockey decisions including player placement, playing time, etc. and most of them are grossly unqualified make any decisions hockey related.  This is why school sanctioned sports has less of this non-sense because the Athletic Director serves as the GM and keeps parents out of the program's growth and development.

We all hear the horror stories and its unfortunate. I am proud to say that when I had a child playing, I stayed on the sidelines and the program was in very capable hands with an excellent parent group that raised a lot of money, supported the coaching staff and results netted two Penguins Cups and the program is still doing reasonably well. 

Biggest problem in HS hockey - the boards run by parents. Some of these parents assume just playing HS hockey is all their kid needs. Most of the parents on these boards have a agenda, their own kid. No wonder pihl hockey looks like crap anymore! 

Denis 

Franklin Regional has won 2 Penguin Cups and has been to the playoffs 25 times in the past 30 years with 9 Penguin Cup Final appearances and is a way better program than those mentioned. Baldwin, Gateway, and Salem are in a class by themselves with Shaler.  

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Biggest problem in HS hockey - the boards run by parents. Some of these parents assume just playing HS hockey is all their kid needs. Most of the parents on these boards have a agenda, their own kid. No wonder pihl hockey looks like crap anymore! 

100% accurate for Latrobe hockey as well.  Lots of nepotism and favoritism.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:36 PM, Scooby Doo said:

100% accurate for Latrobe hockey as well.  Lots of nepotism and favoritism.

It’s honestly like this everywhere these days, very unfortunate and sad. Good friend of mine told me franklin regional has a really bad problem with a mediocre 04 kid that’s small but his dad has money and pull so everything is now built around this kid. Over at peters twp friends tell me the program is all but destroyed, central catholic is in the same boat from previous parents. All these hockey boards need to be re structured just as a booster club, this stuff would still happen but wouldn’t be as bad. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:38 PM, Danner27 said:

It’s honestly like this everywhere these days, very unfortunate and sad. Good friend of mine told me franklin regional has a really bad problem with a mediocre 04 kid that’s small but his dad has money and pull so everything is now built around this kid. Over at peters twp friends tell me the program is all but destroyed, central catholic is in the same boat from previous parents. All these hockey boards need to be re structured just as a booster club, this stuff would still happen but wouldn’t be as bad. 

These issues will continue on forever until the school boards have oversight of the high school club sports.  Club sports that operate under the school's logo and name ought to have some accountability to the district, instead of operating as rogue organizations.

However, a number of hockey orgs themselves have power brokers in key positions (president...) and they call shots that aren't always to the benefit of the teams (or the overall org).  We have discussed that issue on these boards for years.

2 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

These issues will continue on forever until the school boards have oversight of the high school  club sports.  Club sports that operate under the school's logo and name ought to have some accountability to the district, instead of operating as rogue organizations.

However, a number of hockey orgs themselves have power brokers in key positions (president...) and they call shots that aren't always to the benefit of the teams (or the overall org).  We have discussed that issue on these boards for years.

I fully agree with you on both points. I’ve seen it first hand at ppe & esmark. 

• 1 month later...