Southwestern PA still RED

Even when the governor changes SW PA to YELLOW, the ice rinks appear to be still closed under the indoor recreation category.  Plus, Levine said no youth sports will be permitted to GREEN.  That won’t happen till maybe June or even July at this rate.

it doesn’t look good for summer hockey.

2 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

There are clinics (just posted yesterday) scheduled next weekend (May 9th and 10th) at a local rinks. 

What rinks are you looking at?  Looks like everything is still closed as far as I can see.  No rinks till green phase. My opinion Wolf is going to start really feeling the heat. I think the western part of the state will be green by the end of May. No facts just opinion.  Then rinks up and running in the middle of June and Tryouts in July. Just my best guess.  It will still be a risk and some people might decide hockey is not worth the risk.

Sorry, but no worse than the annual flu? Talk to healthcare providers and the scientists still trying to figure this one out.

Highly contagious with more than 63,000 dead in less than 2 months. Averaging 2000/day dead still. 
It’s not a cold, it’s not a flu. Avoid the misinformation sources.

We’re relatively lucky here in western PA, and the situation continues to improve around here. Isolation helping limit deaths, but affecting economy. Massachusetts and Michigan still being hit hard. 

5 hours ago, Django said:

Sorry, but no worse than the annual flu? Talk to healthcare providers and the scientists still trying to figure this one out.

Highly contagious with more than 63,000 dead in less than 2 months. Averaging 2000/day dead still. 
It’s not a cold, it’s not a flu. Avoid the misinformation sources.

We’re relatively lucky here in western PA, and the situation continues to improve around here. Isolation helping limit deaths, but affecting economy. Massachusetts and Michigan still being hit hard. 

the average deaths per year over the past 10 years has been around 30-60k.  There is a lot of dispute about the accuracy of the death tolls. Furthermore all this isolation may not have been the best idea because herd immunity has helped in the past, now we're in effect delaying that by not comingling.  Antibodies are built up by getting exposed to a virus in different degrees.  Never in the history of mankind before have we tried this technique of covering up and attempting to insulate ourselves from a virus. 

We have tested more people in the USA than any other country by far.  We have the drugs already to combat this.  It's time to get things opened back up, much sooner than later. 

The death toll projections were wildly incorrect and that was pretty much the basis for the governors closing everything down.

• Like 1

Gov wolf’s sheman seemed to get annoyed when ask about the little league World Series being canceled, I believe it’s July or August ?  I honestly don’t see anyway we have youth and amateur sports this fall. Just my opinion, unfortunately I’ve been feeling this way all along. 

8 minutes ago, Django said:

I’ll have to disagree with most of PB’s assessment - I’ll leave it at that.

Great book about 1918 pandemic by John Barry, The Great Influenza. 

Wow, I'm somewhere in the middle of all this.  You just can't shut down the world. The only way that would work is to stay shut down until the virus is gone! How long will that take? It's just not realistic. I don't understand what more testing will do. I can be negative today and 3 days later test positive. You would have to test everyone every day to isolate the virus. Is that realistic?  We have to make up our own minds as to how we want to live with this thing. Some will choose to stay inside and some will choose to take the risk. It's called freedom of choice. It's being taken away from us right now.   I will look up that book. I'm sure it is an interesting read, But 1918 didn't have our advanced technology.

I Guess I am leaning more toward PB's assessment- I will leave it at that.

• Like 2

When this whole business started, what were we told by Dr. Fauci and all the doctors?? Flatten the curve! And why do this? So our healthcare system doesn't get overrun. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING in their initial comments about this said anything about reducing deaths. Even Gov. Cuomo in one of his first pressers gave a condescending talk about what flattening the curve meant with infantile pictures of a wave crashing into a hospital.

When you flatten a curve, you don't reduce the number of instances, you just spread them over a longer period.

Well, we've done what they asked and still they ask for more. Hospitals are not being overrun. Yes, some places are hit harder, but people aren't waiting in hallways to get put on vents.

It's getting ridiculous and people are already starting to move about more. I know this virus isn't the flu, I get it can be serious, especially for people at risk. Some people will act like idiots when we open back up, but the vast majority will be careful, wear masks, social distance, etc, etc.

The economic impact is obviously a disaster. But so too is the fact that people aren't able to get routine screening for problems they are having. My wife had her regular mammogram that had been scheduled for April moved until August. I'm sorry, that's 4 months she has to wait....what if something could have been caught now, does her life not matter too? And what, did people all of a sudden stop having heart attacks and strokes? Because everything you read says the numbers coming into the hospitals are way down.

It's time to open things back up....cautiously!

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 2

I don’t understand this logic here.

Let’s say we kept up business as usual. No social distancing, we all went about our lives. What do you think the infection and death rate would be then? 

That simple question completely overrides anything I’ve read here. 63,000 deaths to date with intense mitigation strategies. Just based on simple math, had we not shut down, we’d be talking millions of deaths. People like to site empty hospitals. Yes, because what we have been doing has worked most places. Short of a cess pool like NYC and some other overcrowded areas.

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 1

You also cannot risk breaking the healthcare system with overrun hospitals. You people are thinking overrun as in someone had to get treatment in a hallway. No, no stay at home orders, life as usual could equate to thousands of people showing up to hospitals and not getting care. Doctors and nurses walking away from their jobs and eventually a societal break. If the healthcare system goes, you’ll have riots, chaos and martial law. That’s reality. 

• Like 1

Were has anyone here said to open up “life as usual”? Nobody is suggesting to go back to normal with no safeguards. This level of lockdown doesn’t make sense in western PA. Let us open up more stuff and see what happens. If we see a severe uptick then lock it down again.  Wear masks, try to keep away from close contact, use common sense. 

33 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

USA Hockey is so risk adverse that I’d be shocked if there is hockey for 20-21. 

They won’t make a decision like that as they know they would have rogue operations popping up before the email makes the delivered sound. They will let the states, governors be the bad guy.

Edited by ctil20

2 hours ago, ctil20 said:

I don’t understand this logic here.

Let’s say we kept up business as usual. No social distancing, we all went about our lives. What do you think the infection and death rate would be then? 

That simple question completely overrides anything I’ve read here. 63,000 deaths to date with intense mitigation strategies. Just based on simple math, had we not shut down, we’d be talking millions of deaths. People like to site empty hospitals. Yes, because what we have been doing has worked most places. Short of a cess pool like NYC and some other overcrowded areas.

Who knows, but for certain all the "big medical minds" who had predicted 2.2 million deaths were WAY off.  There won't even be 220,000 deaths in the USA even with padding.   I don't know if this will even reach 111,000 deaths... and with all the shenanigans going on about how deaths are reported (politics...), not sure we'll ever have an exact count.

But what has happened is because of these terrible predictions, is that our booming economy and record employment (and record low unemployment) was thrown out the window entirely.  In the future governors need to use much more restraint when shutting down their states and we need to look a lot more at these computer models that were the root of all of this.

Then you have Dr. Fauci who almost totally ignores Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc and Z-Pack and instead touts an experimental medicine from a company that he gets paid!  Why let a $2 prescription help you when you can charge $999 (or whatever) for a different med with little track record.  POLITICS!

This country cannot afford to ever do this massive a shutdown in the future unless we are certain that a virus will almost wipeout mankind.

I really don't like this moving target that Wolf has put out there. He says one thing and then backs off from it. By now everyone should have an understanding as to how easily it spreads.  I would venture to say that we will see the use of masks in every day life for a long time.  There is not going to be a day when everything goes back to the way it was last November.  I could deal with it a lot better if you told me by July 1st (or any date in the next 60 to 90 days) we expect to have things reopened with modifications.  Give me some light at the end of the tunnel so I can work to make it happen.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen any more information from CMU as to where they are with this "decision support tool"  

To that end, the commonwealth is partnering with Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) to create a data-driven decision support tool that will enable a balance between maximizing the results of our economy while minimizing public health risks. This tool will help better understand the current health and economic status, as well as the inherent risks and benefits to easing restrictions by sector and region.

How long before we see this?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ctil20 said:

You also cannot risk breaking the healthcare system with overrun hospitals. You people are thinking overrun as in someone had to get treatment in a hallway. No, no stay at home orders, life as usual could equate to thousands of people showing up to hospitals and not getting care. Doctors and nurses walking away from their jobs and eventually a societal break. If the healthcare system goes, you’ll have riots, chaos and martial law. That’s reality. 

To date ( My company works with hospitals ) upmc mercy has taken care of 8 cases, Saint Clair 1, upmc East 3, Allegheny 5, upmc south side zero and this is where the testing is being done.  I’d say this entire “pandemic” is over blown and unfortunately it’s turning into a political game.  I would also wager that most kids that play hockey, along with their parents have antibodies for covid 19. This was by far the worse season of sickness on hockey teams. Dec-feb “the flu” went through most teams. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

This was by far the worse season of sickness on hockey teams. Dec-feb “the flu” went through most teams. 

This right here is so true. We had a ton of sick kids on both travel and PIHL teams last season. This is why I believe having a reliable anti-body test is just as important as testing for the actual virus because I believe we will see many of us have already had it.

My company has an office in California. Half the office was out sick in February with some unknown sickness. Everyone now believes it was COVID, and likely explains why the numbers in CA are less than PA....not because they are following the lockdown better or started sooner, but because they've already had it and didn't know it.

• Like 3

Wishful thinking. The sickness going around the hockey community and virtually everywhere else was an an early emergence of influenza b. B doesn’t typically appear until later in the flu season. It was all over the news and just about everyone and anyone got sick. People were testing positive for influenza. They wouldn’t have been testing positive for influenza if they had the coronavirus. 

I don’t know what the remedy is. I’m sure youth sports is not even on governments radar right now. When it does come across their plate and they dive in, they are going to have to consider the jobs and businesses involved with youth sports. 

When focusing on hockey, disallowing an amateur hockey season to take place would effectively kill off rinks, then the sport itself by proxy. They will bankrupt, they will close and most properties will be foreclosed or sold off to companies who obviously won’t have any intention on using the structure as a rink in the future. 

That’s the good news. It will be of concern forcing people out of work and owners in a hole. 

The bad news. Most rinks employ what, 10 people? The majority of those 10 being teenagers or young adults making $10 an hour. The employment loss, and the income level might just not be relevant to those making decisions. 

Edited by ctil20
  • Like 1