Southwestern PA still RED

Unless the rinks are bailed out. Which would be just as bad for hockey players. Rink owners will sit back and collect, offering no resistance. 

Really there should be an initiative to hit the ground running as soon as rinks opens up. In a perfect world teams would hold try outs by mid June and immediately begin a season that runs through October. AAA and those traveling may have to play more locally due to logistics but who cares, it’s better than no hockey. And then another summer hockey season in 2021. 

Edited by ctil20

3 hours ago, ctil20 said:

Wishful thinking. The sickness going around the hockey community and virtually everywhere else was an an early emergence of influenza b. B doesn’t typically appear until later in the flu season. It was all over the news and just about everyone and anyone got sick. People were testing positive for influenza. They wouldn’t have been testing positive for influenza if they had the coronavirus. 

Not one of the people tested in our CA office tested positive for flu. Not all got tested because they didn't go to the doctor but of those that did, it wasn't the flu...according to the test.

I'm not in disagreement with you, really, I understand this is far more serious than a regular flu. But what are we going to do? Hide in our homes for another year? That's easy for people like me to say, who are able to work from home. Not so easy for someone without a job or is in danger of losing their small business.  We cannot continue to pay unemployment for millions of people for that long.

• Like 1

Not doubting that the people in California may have had it. I just work in healthcare and had knowledge of how much influenza b was going around at the time. It ran rampant in schools around western pa. 

18 hours ago, ctil20 said:

They won’t make a decision like that as they know they would have rogue operations popping up before the email makes the delivered sound. They will let the states, governors be the bad guy.

Doubtful. USA Hockey is on track to shut it down. They’ll continue to take money for registrations and background checks though. 

1 hour ago, BeaverFalls said:

Doubtful. USA Hockey is on track to shut it down. They’ll continue to take money for registrations and background checks though. 

100% agree. 

not just hockey though, I doubt (hope I’m wrong) we see any youth sports this fall. 

2 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

How are they on track to shut it down? 

And again, USA hockey has everything to lose by canceling the season. Rinks gone, Job losses, participation numbers dwindling. They don’t want that blood on their hands if rinks are open for business. Outside of that, they aren’t stupid, they know that people will find a way to play so they might as well maintain their peice of the pie $$$

Edited by ctil20

I coach a Winter Sport in the PIAA, not hockey, and there have been many discussions, The one possibility that is gaining the most footing is that they are going to flip flop Spring and Fall sports.  ie. Baseball and Softball this fall as they don't have the physical following of Football.  Now being a winter coach, I am also hearing that they will wait till fall to make a decision on hosting winter sports.  They may not even happen which would be a travesty for many seniors that would absolutely loose out on scholarship money.  It changes the entire dynamic.  With hockey, the governor stated and shut down PennDot till the end of June for the entire state.  And that could easily be extended.  If we as a whole think that Wolf is going to give the go ahead to open sports and indoor recreation facilities before opening government functions, its not going to happen.  Local governments are not planning on even bringing employees back until June and opening up to the public sometime at end of June or beginning of July.  This is a mess, my son is beside himself as hockey is what he loves and being at that crucial point of second year bantam, as his goal is to play juniors.  And in regards to PIHL, that is the biggest mystery, I have no way of predicting which way the will go with this.  Just a bad situation for all.  I truly feel for every kid playing, not just here but everywhere.  I do feel that AAU will try to nudge open the door, but it will be up to rinks to say go ahead and come in, knowing they would face liability if something were to happen.  Personally I would like to see kids have the opportunity to get back on the ice even in very small groups.  Skating is not running and the longer they are kept off the ice will have an impact on there hockey this season. Having a instructor and 3-4 kids with their own water bottle is no different than hosting a birthday party with 24 people once we move to yellow.  Kids will need ice time to get back up to speed, if it all works out, I don't see tryouts till August or maybe even September.   

5 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

In my humble opinion, After reading this, don’t expect youth and amateur hockey this season. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/georges-laraque-coronavirus-pneumonia-1.5553967

What part of this made you decide that we shouldn't expect youth and amateur hockey this season?  Do you think society should just shutdown totally until a vaccine is found? 
Don't we take risks every day getting in a car? Walking across a street? ( Maybe not so much now)  I just don't think we should all stay in our houses until they find a vaccine, What if it takes 3 or 4 years? Laraque took a risk delivering food. He should have known he was a high risk with asthma!  I'm not sure what quality of life you want, but I want more than just staying in my house for the next year or two.

I miss hockey, my hockey player misses hockey.  Our family is missing hockey.  

I would not jeopardize the health of my player or my family including my parents and those who are ill by packing 20 people into a locker room.  Someone just pointed out how many people were sick this past season.  Well imagine what this would be like....

To those making comparisons to the flu-I guess they keep the Beaver Ice rink frozen in the winter for all the people who die of the flu????

We have been lucky this area has had a minimal impact...You're hockey people talk to one of your friends in Detroit they will tell you exactly how bad it could be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

What part of this made you decide that we shouldn't expect youth and amateur hockey this season?  Do you think society should just shutdown totally until a vaccine is found? 
Don't we take risks every day getting in a car? Walking across a street? ( Maybe not so much now)  I just don't think we should all stay in our houses until they find a vaccine, What if it takes 3 or 4 years? Laraque took a risk delivering food. He should have known he was a high risk with asthma!  I'm not sure what quality of life you want, but I want more than just staying in my house for the next year or two.

While I don’t disagree with your feelings and thoughts - you are missing the point. A high profile ex nhl player has it. This will put fear into current pros, the nhl. Hockey Canada and USA hockey. It will all trickle down to the youth level. 

can you imagine if one kid gets it and spreads it to some of his teammates ? Or possible a grand parent who struggles to beat it. Can you see the lawsuits ??? 

• Like 1

Experts are starting to come out and say it is not as bad as people think it is.

https://www.stress.org/stanford-professor-data-indicates-were-severely-overreacting-to-coronavirus

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html

It is very deadly for a certain populace and need to be protected but it can be done with minimal disruption to our everyday lives. If you live with or have contact with a high risk person be very careful. My wife is over 60 and battled breast cancer several years ago, Her immune system still isn't 100 percent and during that time I took a lot of precautions. Most what we are experiencing today. I coached two teams ranging from Pee Wees and high school during this time. I used wipes almost to an obsession. I made other coaches handle the water bottles. I kept my time in a locker room to a minimum.  Fist pumped players in the handshake line (and quickly used wipes on my hands once it was over). And for about 3 years I never had a cold which was a regular occurance during hockey season because my players were typhoid mary's.

When we are allowed out full time. I will be wearing a mask and continue to do what I started several years earlier. As long as you regularly and properly wash you hands and limit handshakes and hope people learn to sneeze properly then 99 percent of the population will be fine.

So grandparents don't go to games any more until a vaccine/treatment is developed. Small trade off. But with LiveBarn they can still watch in real time. Same with people in the at risk category. Parents may have to miss attending games. It stinks but as a parent I know I would rather my kids play sports without me being there than not at all (insert your own helicopter parent comment here).

Be safe and smart everyone.

• Like 1

Oh, And please no AAU hockey. There's a reason why it hasn't taken off. Some teams in MI but it is horribly run, has no concern about the players or even the sport. It is nothing more than a money maker. You can rail on USA Hockey and some of it is justified but I promise you it is 1000 times better than AAU.

From what I see of the protests in various states people are starting to revolt against the Hysteria. I go back to the fact that a free society should be able to make their own decisions. I choose not to live in China.  At this point everyone should understand the risks. I'm sure you could modify things. Kids get dressed at home. No more locker rooms for a while. It's called adapting and adjusting to the situation. I just think that if we don't get things moving soon the whole economy of the US will be in chaos. I by no means am advocating business as usual. I do agree that warning signs and liability wavers might be the in the new normal. But to expect no sports for several years is unrealistic. Danner27, shouldn't kids and parents who would be willing to take the risk to play know better than to be around high risk people?  Give us some credit, or are we all just mindless drones?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Experts are starting to come out and say it is not as bad as people think it is.

https://www.stress.org/stanford-professor-data-indicates-were-severely-overreacting-to-coronavirus

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html

It is very deadly for a certain populace and need to be protected but it can be done with minimal disruption to our everyday lives. If you live with or have contact with a high risk person be very careful. My wife is over 60 and battled breast cancer several years ago, Her immune system still isn't 100 percent and during that time I took a lot of precautions. Most what we are experiencing today. I coached two teams ranging from Pee Wees and high school during this time. I used wipes almost to an obsession. I made other coaches handle the water bottles. I kept my time in a locker room to a minimum.  Fist pumped players in the handshake line (and quickly used wipes on my hands once it was over). And for about 3 years I never had a cold which was a regular occurance during hockey season because my players were typhoid mary's.

When we are allowed out full time. I will be wearing a mask and continue to do what I started several years earlier. As long as you regularly and properly wash you hands and limit handshakes and hope people learn to sneeze properly then 99 percent of the population will be fine.

So grandparents don't go to games any more until a vaccine/treatment is developed. Small trade off. But with LiveBarn they can still watch in real time. Same with people in the at risk category. Parents may have to miss attending games. It stinks but as a parent I know I would rather my kids play sports without me being there than not at all (insert your own helicopter parent comment here).

Be safe and smart everyone.

Two thumbs up to all of this!!!!!

King, I enjoy listening to your opinions here. How long do you think USA Hockey can go before they have no revenue streams and have to close up shop.  I would imagine that registrations are way down.  I wouldn't join for 20-21 until I know what is going on.  I think current memberships expire August 1st. Can they go a year without registration money?

8 minutes ago, The King said:

The only reason it may possibly be a better option than anything is because most organizations are trapped into competing there. They’ve monopolized the sport. 

Not at all. How many independent teams have started over here the last several seasons? Were they trapped in PAHL. No. Primarily they were started as money grabs prying on parents' egos. Plain and simple.

The most AAU teams are in Michigan. Michganders are way more knowledgeable about how hockey should be run. If AAU even presented an alternative, People will flock there But they have no growth because people know it is a joke.

Edited by Denis Lemiuex

2 minutes ago, The King said:

No one will fight back. And it’s not an issue of being a mindless drone. It’s being submissive and subservient. You can’t do anything until the governing body tells you to. If you want it back, you’ll have to fight for it. They know you won’t. Which is why their financial interests will remain safe and secure. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but prove me wrong.

I agree we as a society are soft. But I do see some reports of people opening up their business against government orders. I know this is a big minority but if this goes on months longer I would bet that more and more people are starting to feel the same way. Don't forget this country was founded in a revolt. Granted 250 years ago but hopefully enough of us believe in what this country was founded on. Life, Liberty & the pursuit of Happiness.

5 minutes ago, The King said:

That’s a complex question. Because the affiliates and the national office are separate entities. Your local affiliate in WPA works on a “limited” budget according to the “independent” audit done. Their issue will be that many of the facilities under their umbrella may not survive. But it’s not like any of the people that make up their BOG actually do anything. It’s the folks at the top of that chain that reap the benefits. How it effects the national office is that, they will have to choose what entities to maintain. Is the NTDP their priority? Is the ushl or now the NAHL the priority? Can they afford the expanded executive committee? Where does the money come from? Many of the donations and grants will take a hit as well. Forget the youth level. My bet is they allow competing governing bodies take over certain leagues in order for their money makers to survive.

Wow, I had no idea of the complex nature of USA Hockey. I do think that if one or two rinks are willing to open and fight the system the rest will be forced to do the same. I would be willing to bet that if a few rinks opened up they would have  unlimited people coming.  20 more cases today in Allegheny County with no new deaths! 

T

10 minutes ago, The King said:

No what I’m saying is that even the independent teams have to register USA hockey. You can’t build a schedule if you aren’t a USA hockey team. They’ve ensured that with their registration process and oppressive bylaws. They know how to appeal and overwhelm the masses.

The question you must ask yourself is why after all these years AAU is not an alternative. My personal experience is because they are only about money and have no interest in growing the sport or care about its players. Again. It existed for years and in Michigan people  see it as a complete joke.

If you don't like Little League you can always join Pony League. So USA Hockey has no rival? It's them or nothing? Do the rinks have to pay into USA Hockey? Does any inhouse league at a Hockey rink have to be USA Hockey approved? Is it because of Liability issues?

39 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

From what I see of the protests in various states people are starting to revolt against the Hysteria. I go back to the fact that a free society should be able to make their own decisions. I choose not to live in China.  At this point everyone should understand the risks. I'm sure you could modify things. Kids get dressed at home. No more locker rooms for a while. It's called adapting and adjusting to the situation. I just think that if we don't get things moving soon the whole economy of the US will be in chaos. I by no means am advocating business as usual. I do agree that warning signs and liability wavers might be the in the new normal. But to expect no sports for several years is unrealistic. Danner27, shouldn't kids and parents who would be willing to take the risk to play know better than to be around high risk people?  Give us some credit, or are we all just mindless drones?

you are still missing the point, along with other people in this thread. It doesn’t matter what we think or want, just as the governors have shut down states. USA hockey will solely decide if and when the kids can play again. Your thoughts and feelings, along with mine and others does not matter. @The King described it very well above what will influence USA hockey & hockey Canada. These corporations (yes that’s what they are Both USA hockey and hockey Canada are tied to the NHL for for tax shelters) have plenty of reserves to wait things out as long as they have to. Once covid is over in 1 month, 1 year or 10 years, the average hockey parent won’t hold anything against USA hockey. Every year there is a new crop of mites, they will refill their reserves, the game will continue to grow long after everyone here is no longer involved. 

tl;dr - none of us matter to the governing bodies.