Southwestern PA still RED

7 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

It will be interesting to see if it actually happens, now that you have outed it.

It’s been happening at other rinks now for a few weeks. At least ##### waited until yellow when you can have groups of 25 gather. 

34 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

It’s been happening at other rinks now for a few weeks. At least alpha waited until yellow when you can have groups of 25 gather. 

The 25 or less directive doesn’t apply to certain businesses, including rinks. If it did, gyms, spas, hair and nail salons, and restaurants and bars could be open in Yellow status as well, as long as they stay 25 or under. The rinks are taking on some risk by doing so, but surely they understand that. 

Edited by Ynot02

29 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

The 25 or less directive doesn’t apply to certain businesses, including rinks. If it did, gyms, spas, hair and nail salons, and restaurants and bars could be open in Yellow status as well, as long as they stay 25 or under. The rinks are taking on some risk by doing so, but surely they understand that. 

If it’s private as the original poster said, I don’t see a problem with it.  As I stated above, at least they waited until yellow. Under red I know two other rinks that have been selling private ice. I know a skills coach who has been Doing small groups since the first week of April. my local gym is opening Friday. The owner is Capping it at 20 people at a time, you schedule when you would like to work out, the slots are 1 hour each. 

19 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

If it’s private as the original poster said, I don’t see a problem with it.  As I stated above, at least they waited until yellow. Under red I know two other rinks that have been selling private ice. I know a skills coach who has been Doing small groups since the first week of April. my local gym is opening Friday. The owner is Capping it at 20 people at a time, you schedule when you would like to work out, the slots are 1 hour each. 

I know of one that has definitely been selling private ice the entire time on the down low.

2 hours ago, The King said:

Private is very subjective in this case. But less than 25 would work in a team setting as long as parents are restricted. Here’s the problem with that- first, you know these idiot parents won’t drop their kids off and leave. They have to have their noses in every little thing that goes on. And I’m not talking about them just wanting to watch over their kid. They fear missing out in gossip. Second, nobody has even broached the subject of SafeSport violations when restricting parents. USA hockey has branded itself “the forerunner in federal compliance” (insert joke here) and is on record in disciplinary actions as not allowing any players involved in any activity without parents having the ability to monitor. LiveBarn you say? Does ##### have LiveBarn? If not, force them to, right? Then don’t bitch when Governor Wolf forces business closures. It’s the same abuse of power. Either way, the power struggle begins! Pick a side folks!

Like I said, my local gym is opening Friday even though gyms are not suppose to.what we are going to end up with very soon is a battle between private and public sectors. Business will walk the line. Get ready for the speak easy to return! 

15 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Yeah, but the insurance company can deny paying out, since they aren't supposed to be open right now. 

What insurance company ? These rinks are selling private non sanctioned ice slots. The rinks insurance is for liability only, it’s like going to a baseball game and getting hit with foul ball. Need stitches ? Your insurance covers it. 

21 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

What insurance company ? These rinks are selling private non sanctioned ice slots. The rinks insurance is for liability only, it’s like going to a baseball game and getting hit with foul ball. Need stitches ? Your insurance covers it. 

He's right about this. Without sanctioning from a body like USA Hockey, you don't even have the fiction of coverage at a rink.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

@The King you just made me think when you mentioned the parents. I would bet whomever came here & posted about ##### selling private ice - their kid didn’t get invited, now they want justice! 

Nope.  Invited and going.   I'm genuinely curious about the thoughts of this group.  I had the same questions around insurance and what other rinks have been doing.

Ladies and Gentlemen-

The posts which caused a stir since last night have all been purged.  The poster has asked that his account be removed.

No further posts referencing that poster or this specific rink will be allowed right now.

We're not trying to get rinks closed down or reported so you all need to use restraint in this area.

Just saw something interesting - the May 13th update states that the Mt. Lebanon rink will be melting their ice (unclear if they had ice at this point) and it will be down until at least August 1. I thought I saw another post somewhere (and memory might be failing me here) saying Southpointe/Printscape Arena also has no ice.

Any other rinks melt their ice?

http://www.mtlebanon.org/3460/Coronavirus-COVID-19

10 minutes ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Just saw something interesting - the May 13th update states that the Mt. Lebanon rink will be melting their ice (unclear if they had ice at this point) and it will be down until at least August 1. I thought I saw another post somewhere (and memory might be failing me here) saying Southpointe/Printscape Arena also has no ice.

Any other rinks melt their ice?

http://www.mtlebanon.org/3460/Coronavirus-COVID-19

Community owned rinks will not open at all until green, the private owned rinks ALL are operating as speak easy. There are teams being put together from aaa Down to Pahl as I type. 

22 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Most policies have clauses to deny coverage when engaged in illegal activity. So don't count on your own insurance, either.

The Armstrong Amateur Hockey League including the Arrows "National Bound" Program 14U Prep/16U/18U are not forming teams at this time. We plan to hold tryouts as usual once USA hockey permits. A tryout schedule will be posted on the Armstrong Arrows league website: armstrongarrows.com and keep watching for updates on our Armstrong Arrows "National Bound" Hockey Teams Facebook page.

Just an assumption, but since they posted here I’ll say that I believe both Armstrong and NP have already formed their teams for next year. Tryouts are, again my opinion, merely a formality and source of revenue. Most other organizations have done the same. 

But that is just my opinion.