Southwestern PA still RED

hockey Canada is suppose announce this week they are opening up June 1st, will USA hockey follow the lead this early ? Denver is a very liberal area. It’s rumored USA teams will not be allowed to travel in this season to play along with USA players playing in Canada. The chl put out a letter today claiming there is no truth to these restrictions, it’s just rumors. 

1 minute ago, Danner27 said:

hockey Canada is suppose announce this week they are opening up June 1st, will USA hockey follow the lead this early ? Denver is a very liberal area. It’s rumored USA teams will not be allowed to travel in this season to play along with USA players playing in Canada. The chl put out a letter today claiming there is no truth to these restrictions, it’s just rumors. 

I hope it all opens up June 1st. As long as we're not winding up putting ourselves further behind. 

1 minute ago, nemesis8679 said:

The thing is, is that nobody IS allowed. What personality defect is it that some people think they're above everyone else, that rules don't apply to them? 

I would tend to think that parents willing to risk their kid's health (or other's) are more likely to be the ones with the self-appointed "my kid is a superstar" attitude than the ones who can take a step back and wait a month or two to see what happens. In fact, knowing some of the ones that are doing it, I'd say I'm 100% right about that. 

Depends what side of the fence you are on, my 99 was skating with barkowski and some other minor pros, they needed  a few extra bodies for drills, my son is friends with Most of those guys. My 99 no longer plays, he is a adult, he can decide for himself what is safe and not safe. I know he had fun catching up with some of the guys he played with and against that are now playing in the echl and ahl. 

11 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

The thing is, is that nobody IS allowed. What personality defect is it that some people think they're above everyone else, that rules don't apply to them? 

That's your opinion along with the Governor and his Health Secretary. A health secretary who among other things moved her mother out of a nursing home at the very start of this mess while at the same time sent positive patients back into other homes such as the one in Beaver County. That facility is the SOLE reason Beaver county is still in the Red phase. That leaves a lot of room to question their plans as well as their motives

You have your Fauci's with one opinion, people from Stanford with another and last night I saw another doctor who had his message removed from youtube just like may others have. His message was this, the schools and children weren't at risk and we closed them immediately. The senior care facilities were the highest risk and they took forever to be closed. If we left the schools open, there would have been a better chance for building herd immunity.

The bottom line is this, you don't know. I don't know and I'm not sure anyone really does know. So, for two months we have listened to their "rules" and now it's time to get back to life if you're so inclined OR stay at home in fear of something that is the unknown and which the duration is also unknown. Just not the way this country is supposed to work.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I would tend to think that parents willing to risk their kid's health (or other's) are more likely to be the ones with the self-appointed "my kid is a superstar" attitude than the ones who can take a step back and wait a month or two to see what happens. In fact, knowing some of the ones that are doing it, I'd say I'm 100% right about that. 

Ok, I am curious about this statement, and I am not trying to pick a fight with you (really, I am not), but what risk to kids health is there?  Are you saying that if we open these rinks up, and let kids practice together that some of them are going to catch the virus?  You do know that the last I time checked no one under the age of 42 had contracted it in Allegheny County right?  Please don't tell me that is because of the stay at home orders.  You do know that kids (those under the age of 19 are pretty much going to each others houses all along right?  I just saw a group of like 6 or 7 riding bikes down my street on Sunday and at least 5 playing basketball in the next cul-de-sac.  Sorry, I'm just not buying it.  I can't see any correlation (let allow causation) between states like PA, NY, CA etc... that put all these rules in place versus cases in other states that didn't.  Again, not trying to argue, I guess each person has their own opinion.  Sorry

Edited by Eddie Shore

28 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Ok, I am curious about this statement, and I am not trying to pick a fight with you (really, I am not), but what risk to kids health is there?  Are you saying that if we open these rinks up, and let kids practice together that some of them are going to catch the virus?  You do know that the last I time checked no one under the age of 42 had contracted it in Allegheny County right?  Please don't tell me that is because of the stay at home orders.  You do know that kids (those under the age of 19 are pretty much going to each others houses all along right?  I just saw a group of like 6 or 7 riding bikes down my street on Sunday and at least 5 playing basketball in the next cul-de-sac.  Sorry, I'm just not buying it.  I can't see any correlation (let allow causation) between states like PA, NY, CA etc... that put all these rules in place versus cases in other states that didn't.  Again, not trying to argue, I guess each person has their own opinion.  Sorry

I don't want to argue, either. I'm somewhere in the middle on all of this. Naturally in this country, this got politicized, so people either have to be on one extreme (leave your house, you die) or the other (this is a hoax, my rights are being infringed, Bill Gates, etc.) However, I know for a fact that while some kids are playing together, most are not. Many have been staying away. As far as people under 42 not getting it, maybe? How would you know if people aren't being tested? And kids that get it seem mostly to be carriers only, with the exception of the ones who have serious complications from it. 

36 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

I don't want to argue, either. I'm somewhere in the middle on all of this. Naturally in this country, this got politicized, so people either have to be on one extreme (leave your house, you die) or the other (this is a hoax, my rights are being infringed, Bill Gates, etc.) However, I know for a fact that while some kids are playing together, most are not. Many have been staying away. As far as people under 42 not getting it, maybe? How would you know if people aren't being tested? And kids that get it seem mostly to be carriers only, with the exception of the ones who have serious complications from it. 

I will respect your opinion, and agree with you that the truth is probably somewhere between the 2 extremes that you pointed out. 

As far as testing goes, yes maybe.  For all I know I could have had the Corona virus and never known it.  But then again, I am sure there are lot of things I have had that I never knew I had either.  Not sure how many people in PA have been tested as the CDC stopped reporting that sometime last week, so I guess we will never know.  I'm guessing that we are only testing people that don't feel well, which is why I have never gotten tested.  Thanks for your input.

The two facts that stuck out to me was no one under the age of 42 in Allegheny, and no one under the age of 25 in North Carolina

Edited by Eddie Shore

People under 42 have had it just not died from it. Average age of deaths is somewhere in the 80s. 42 is youngest to die. 

That being said - good points made here about how long we expect to keep things locked down.  We can't hide forever and the governor gives us no clear scientific methods or data on what colors mean or how to change. 

1 minute ago, aaaahockey said:

People under 42 have had it just not died from it. Average age of deaths is somewhere in the 80s. 42 is youngest to die. 

That being said - good points made here about how long we expect to keep things locked down.  We can't hide forever and the governor gives us no clear scientific methods or data on what colors mean or how to change. 

I stand corrected.  Also, I did say the CDC website took down the testing data, it's actually the Johns Hopkins Website.  I don't think CDC ever had it.

willing to bet 90% of people on this board would send their kids to the rink for full games or tryouts tomorrow- with no fear. in talking to many dems and republicans i don’t know anyone who fears school or sports. perhaps they will take precautions and be careful around the vulnerable people in their lives, but that’s it. and it’s not a matter of doing anything so that “little johnnie” shines - it’s just that most people who i know just don't have the fear that everyone says the media has instilled. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

willing to bet 90% of people on this board would send their kids to the rink for full games or tryouts tomorrow- with no fear. in talking to many dems and republicans i don’t know anyone who fears school or sports. perhaps they will take precautions and be careful around the vulnerable people in their lives, but that’s it. and it’s not a matter of doing anything so that “little johnnie” shines - it’s just that most people who i know just don't have the fear that everyone says the media has instilled. 

I imagine this is exactly right. I know I count myself among them. 

2020 Keystone Games are cancelled.  That means no hockey tourney.

Keystone State Games / PA Senior Games COVID-19 Update as of May 20, 2020

Due to the current state mandates and social-gathering recommendations surrounding COVID-19, we are cancelling the Keystone State Games Festival of Sports and PA Senior Games scheduled in Luzerne County from July 22 - August 2, 2020. Our priority is the safety and well-being of our game participants, sponsors and volunteers, and we believe this is the best decision.

KSG / PSG is committed to following the recommendations and directives of the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and the Pennsylvania State Health Department and Governor Wolf's Office.

New events being planned will be updated on our website as well as posted on our facebook page. For those who have already registered, you will be reimbursed by the same method that you paid.

Thank you for your continued support of the Keystone State Games and PA Senior Games and we are confident that we will get through this together!

Sincerely,

James J Costello

Keystone State Games, Inc.

Executive Director

8 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

That's a mercy killing for the hockey event. It sucks. 3 games and no playoffs? No thanks.

I don't like that it doesn't have playoff or a champ game either, but my kids have both had a great time playing in the event and the West 16u team took Silver last year which was a big accomplishment for them since the EAST team is usually stacked with AAA Flyers kids and basically no AAA kids from Western PA play on the West team.  We were looking forward to it this year but oh well.

15 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

I don't like that it doesn't have playoff or a champ game either, but my kids have both had a great time playing in the event and the West 16u team took Silver last year which was a big accomplishment for them since the EAST team is usually stacked with AAA Flyers kids and basically no AAA kids from Western PA play on the West team.  We were looking forward to it this year but oh well.

My experience wasn't as good. In my opinion, this was a thing way back when most rinks were closed in the summer and there weren't spring teams and tryouts in the spring as well as summer practices. Now that hockey is more or less year-round, the time and expense for a 3 game tournament is a relic of days past. Other sports in the Keystone State Games allow team entry, probably just a matter of time before hockey does so as well.

23 hours ago, Danner27 said:

FYI my oldest has now skated at 3 different rinks in a week. It appears to me the only rinks not selling Ice are community owned (lebo, beaver, etc ) college owned (rmu), pro owned (upmc) And Pahl hq (Allegheny). 

Which rinks, if I may ask? Assuming one is Alpha, probably one is Castle of Ice, what's the third?

Is there ice at the YMCA in Bethel?

2 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

My experience wasn't as good. In my opinion, this was a thing way back when most rinks were closed in the summer and there weren't spring teams and tryouts in the spring as well as summer practices. Now that hockey is more or less year-round, the time and expense for a 3 game tournament is a relic of days past. Other sports in the Keystone State Games allow team entry, probably just a matter of time before hockey does so as well.

I would go as far as to say I hope they revise the hockey tourney and make it at least 4 games.  The first game is always the toughest because the kids don't play competitively as a team beforehand and if you draw a good team as your first game, you're automatically looking at no higher than silver.

The structure of 3 games no playoff is bad.

23 hours ago, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

Which rinks, if I may ask? Assuming one is Alpha, probably one is Castle of Ice, what's the third?

Is there ice at the YMCA in Bethel?

Not Bethel....probably P.I.A if I had to guess