PIHL Follow Suit

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/foul-language-physical-contact-will-earn-2-game-suspension-under-new-piaa-rule/

Took my grandson to a Plum game a few years ago because his best friend's brother played for them. Left 10 minutes in to the game because the F bombs by the coaches, players and fans was probably over 20 and that's not an overstatement. Talked to a couple of PIHL people and refs later and said they need to do something. Was told nothing could be done. I reminded them everyone signs USA Code of Conduct which states foul language will not be tolerated.

Does anyone really expect high school athletes not to swear? Hormones a blaze. Let’s not pussify the sport and expectations even more than we already have. 10 years ago, you could put another player through the glass and hear a bunch of “ohhh’s and awe’s”. Now a days, someone’s kid gets rubbed out along the boards and there’s three Becky’s  and Chad’s in the stands screaming for vengeance and to “Show some class!”. 

Some coaches are idiots, but some parents, especially in PAHL and PIHL are reprehensible. Hockey is hockey and things are going to happen, but Chad and Becky pour the gasoline on the fire, not some kid saying f**k. 

Edited by ctil20

32 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

Does anyone really expect high school athletes not to swear? Hormones a blaze. Let’s not pussify the sport and expectations even more than we already have. 10 years ago, you could put another player through the glass and hear a bunch of “ohhh’s and awe’s”. Now a days, someone’s kid gets rubbed out along the boards and there’s three Becky’s  and Chad’s in the stands screaming for vengeance and to “Show some class!”. 

Some coaches are idiots, but some parents, especially in PAHL and PIHL are reprehensible. Hockey is hockey and things are going to happen, but Chad and Becky pour the gasoline on the fire, not some kid saying f**k. 

Well said. 

50 minutes ago, ctil20 said:

This is what I was told by league officials except I go to a ton of basketball games and heard 2 F Bombs in the past 5 or 6 years. Guess what happened? Both times the kids were assessed a T and the coach put their ass on the bench. I think.  But I am not sure. I think HS basketball players are the same age as high school hockey players.

When I coached. I had the same policy. If I heard curse words. The player was on the bench. Guess what? My teams didn't swear. Why did I impose this rule? Because my team is represents me. I stressed this in the pre season meeting so there wasn't any gray area. Trust me. I got calls from irate parents. I read them the USA Standard Code of conduct that their kid signed. One parent didn't want to hear it until I said I would be happy to discuss my benching with him, the kid and the school's AD and they can explain why telling a player to F off is not worthy of a benching. That was the last time a parent or kid complained about my team rule for the next 4 years.

As for the parents. Same thing. If the league would tell the sheriffs to eject anyone who swears. Guess it will happen a couple of times. But it will stop.

But I am old and I guess you like the atmosphere of everyone cursing. I am sure you are thrilled when it happens in front of you pre teen kid or grandchild.

I don’t care what the players say. They are the ones expending the effort and making sacrifices. Can’t hear them 90% of the time. 

The coaches aren’t cute when they do it. The ones that do are usually playing to the crowd anyway. 

The parents however make it a toxic atmosphere because they cannot control their emotions. Everyone knew what they were signing their kid up for, but they cry fowl when reality hits (no pun). I mean honest to god, you can’t make it through one bantam/midget game without someone throwing a fit about the opposing team/parents not having class. 

Let the players say what they want. Hold the adults accountable. Headshots had to go, no doubt, but everything that followed has created a group of hypersensitive parents that ruin the game, the fun, the atmosphere.  How dare someone touch their baby, they know the bethel park magistrate and their neighbor is a cop, and they’re going to sue you. 

Edited by ctil20