waiting for Green

3 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

I don't see how these repeated sarcastic posts are moving this discussion forward.

You don't post here much then do you?

We don't actually solve anything, or have any meaningful discussions here, that must be done on a different board.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Eddie Shore
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HSFBLJ said:

anyone ever heard of Darwin?

This is quite different though. This isn't truly (or shouldn't be if we are talking "science") about kids or their parents at the rinks dying. That's such a small % chance it's laughable.  This is about hypothetical risk to others, killing "granny" if you will. There are quite a few equivalents to the idea of driving, going places in flu season, taking children on ATVs, etc.  Even though this virus is worse than those as far as risk to others and possibly to self depending on your situation, we make calculated risks every day about what we think are acceptable or unacceptable consequences. No one wants to put out a number of lives that make something acceptable but there is one somewhere. If we are going to make policy and enforce that on others someone needs to come up with a real metric. Originally it was hospital capacity. Now it's "lives". That bar keeps moving and no one is willing to say "here is the measure or here is the metric that makes risk acceptable".  We are all lying if we say playing hockey isn't worth risking one life. People die playing sports, driving to sports, etc.  So how many lives is it?  Or is it hospital capacity?  Or is it making people sick? And none of that gets into the tradeoffs involved in "keeping things closed".  It's honestly a conversation we need to be having. Or should we just stop playing sports forever?  What if a vaccine never comes (WHO says that's possible)?  No more school sports or restaurants for the rest of our lives?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

With that being the case, I would expect vaccine by months end. That organization of clowns is about as accurate as weather predictions.

Probably true just throwing it out there for the "science" crowd who only like science when it seemingly benefits their paranoia 

Here's your answer. From PIA ......

Now that the “green phase” is in our sights, we are pleased to announce our new dates for our 2020 Tryout Clinics! Beginning on June 22nd and running through July 1st, our clinics will be running the same weekdays and times as previously scheduled. If you have previously registered, that registration will carry over. 

There is limited space still available so feel free to grab your friends and sign-up before it’s too late! 

For more information or a refresher on dates and times, use the following link...

https://pittsburghicearena.com/2020-try-out-camps/

UPDATE: DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PITTSBURGH PENGUINS ELITE TRYOUTS

20170916_UPMC_Coaches___Pros_002_thumb.J
05/30/2020, 4:30pm EDT

By admin

DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Tryout and Summer Hockey Programming schedule information will be announced 6/1/20! We’ll see you on the ice soon!

On 5/30/2020 at 7:19 PM, Django said:

UPDATE: DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PITTSBURGH PENGUINS ELITE TRYOUTS

20170916_UPMC_Coaches___Pros_002_thumb.J
05/30/2020, 4:30pm EDT

By admin

DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Tryout and Summer Hockey Programming schedule information will be announced 6/1/20! We’ll see you on the ice soon!

Give us your money now!

On 5/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, Jack Handey said:

This is ALL ABOUT protecting my kids.   And protecting myself too.

No, we're soccer, lacrosse, and track this time of year.  Miss those too, but this is really about protecting kids and families at tryouts like I said from the start. 

It's about staying alive. 

I like life.  Big fan. 

I like my life, my kids' lives, your lives, your kids' lives, and all the kids' gramma's lives.  When my team plays your team this year, I want 100% of your team, my team, every coach, every official, and every cow-bell-ringing gramma to be there.  It will be a great game, I'm looking forward to it.  

What I don't want is any single one of those people to miss out on the fun that is our game. 

Especially if their absence could have been so easily prevented.

My kids are not tested.  I'm not tested.  We could be carriers.  I don't know.  You don't know.  You and your kids could be carriers.  You don't know.  I don't know.

But our lives, your life, your kids' lives, your gramma's life are all more important than my kids' need for hockey.  So we can wait a little while. 

From the trenches, if you've not been: hockey brings all kinds of opportunity for fluid exchange.  Spit.  Hockers.  Snot.  Coughing.  Vomit.  Blood.  Even something as simple as a coach delivering a spirited talk at the whiteboard, spittle flying through his teeth and lips while kids take a knee, shoulder to shoulder, heavy breathing from the last drill, rapidly inhaling and exhaling.

We have enough uncertainty with this virus.  By getting together in large groups under yellow, some of us are compounding that uncertainty.

Do your kids and yourselves and my kids and me and all grammas a favor: stay home for a few more weeks.  Hockey will still be there when we go green.  

Jack,

Just want to know what is different today than it was yesterday?  Will you let your kids skate today?  Next week? Next month?  Seems to me that the risk is not that much less. Good luck to everyone with tryouts and hopefully we can have some smart, safe, hockey fun.    Hopefully we will all take precautions and limit our potential to ge Covid-19.

Only time will tell.

How is today any different than yesterday?  Like you I look out my window and don't see much different.  What I can tell you is that I'm not qualified to answer.  The question is better suited for public health officials, doctors, etc.

Thanks to all who had patience to wait things out.  

Will my kids skate?  Certainly considering it.  They put on their pads a few days ago and everything is too small.