Get ready for sports to be shut down

Is there any evidence these cases actually came about from playing sports?  I think that's what it would take to roll anything back. I thought the NHL would panic and cancel plans to come back when a couple players got it too but it looks like they are going to stick to the plan. 

8 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

You need to look at the spread of the disease.  3 cases will not make or break anything.  To soon to tell.  

I don’t disagree, but when it comes to kids and all the political stuff going on I won’t be surprised if this season gets shut done before it starts. Claims of cases rising in other states and now a college athlete along with two amateur hockey players, I can just see it. With that said, worse case scenario what happens to all the commitment checks ? PPE offers clinics for the money ? Esmark offers skills with yuri ? What about the Pahl teams ? You know nobody is going to want to refund anything with hopes some kind of season will be played. I heard it happened with some of the spring teams for the younger kids.  Just something to think about.

2 hours ago, Danner27 said:

I don’t disagree, but when it comes to kids and all the political stuff going on I won’t be surprised if this season gets shut done before it starts. Claims of cases rising in other states and now a college athlete along with two amateur hockey players, I can just see it. With that said, worse case scenario what happens to all the commitment checks ? PPE offers clinics for the money ? Esmark offers skills with yuri ? What about the Pahl teams ? You know nobody is going to want to refund anything with hopes some kind of season will be played. I heard it happened with some of the spring teams for the younger kids.  Just something to think about.

Hockey tournaments will be quite the crap shoot as well. Hockey time still hasn't fully refunded ones they cancelled.

Edited by Saucey
Has should have been hasn't

Given the state of affairs at the rinks in the South Hills, I would say that hockey people, as a whole, aren't concerned about it.

Time will tell about what will happen if an actual resurgence in cases ever happens. I don't see things ever shutting down again for this particular issue, but I've been wrong before.

I don't care if my kid has to be a home dresser, I have to wear a mask, social distance from the other parents, and leave the rink immediately after for the rest of season, we will do whatever we have to so he can play. I am positive I am not the only parent that feels this way as well. However,I don't see these restrictions lasting very long and I sure as hell don't see this train slowing down or stopping now. Speaking on a youth sports level as well as a country as a whole. 

5 minutes ago, forbin said:

I don't care if my kid has to be a home dresser, I have to wear a mask, social distance from the other parents, and leave the rink immediately after for the rest of season, we will do whatever we have to so he can play. I am positive I am not the only parent that feels this way as well. However,I don't see these restrictions lasting very long and I sure as hell don't see this train slowing down or stopping now. Speaking on a youth sports level as well as a country as a whole. 

Where my kids are currently skating there are, for all practical purposes, no restrictions at all already. I think you are right.

The one thing that is different is the locker rooms.  I think they do restrict the number of kids.  Parents sometimes wear a mask and sometimes they don't.  My kids have been in 3 different rinks.  Most of the time they are relatively empty so it isn't a big deal.  However, even if the rinks are somewhat crowded masks aren't worn by everyone.  Nor do the parents stay apart.   

On 6/15/2020 at 1:18 PM, Danner27 said:

Football player at WVU just tested covid positive, add this with the Two 18u hockey players in buffalo, sports are going to get hit in my opinion. 

All of these recent positive tests are due to more screening/testing being done as a requirement. No one ever gives the number of negative test results, just the positive ones.

The virus is not nearly as bad as once thought and is really only deadly to those over 60 with other health issues. Now, we certainly want to protect those people but we can't shut down everything else again to do so. Those families will need to make decisions based on their immediate family situations.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

All of these recent positive tests are due to more screening/testing being done as a requirement. No one ever gives the number of negative test results, just the positive ones.

100% agreed.  

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

The virus is not nearly as bad as once thought and is really only deadly to those over 60 with other health issues. Now, we certainly want to protect those people but we can't shut down everything else again to do so. Those families will need to make decisions based on their immediate family situations.

I don’t disagree, but you know the way everyone has been acting. A few more positives in the amateur and college ranks, they will shut it down again.  

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

Partially true. What has stayed pretty much consistent, even in states that have seen a "spike" is the percentage of people tested that have it.  It's been hovering around 4.5 percent. The more people tested. The more people are determine to have it. But like before, most are asymptomatic or a feeling off for a couple of days.

As for reports of hospitals filling up. That is partially true. Because hospitals were basically shut down except for emergencies or life threatening treatments for 3 months. That backlogs are starting to fill beds. As you can imagine. There are more elective surgeries or things like hip and knee replacements than normal because they are 3 months behind. Also more people are out which means an increase in accidents. Whereas a few weeks ago ICUs were primarily Covid patients. They are being used as normal. Those are the main reasons why some hospitals are being crowded.

There has been a slight uptick in the number of people who need ICU because of the virus but it is not too significant.

• Like 1

I also forgot to mention something that is also important and you can decide what significance you want to put on it. They are counting Covid patients a little weird. Say I went in for a knee replacement. I get tested and it is determined I have Covid. That confirm case is attributed to being hospitalized since the hospital was the place it was determined I had the virus.

17 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

I also forgot to mention something that is also important and you can decide what significance you want to put on it. They are counting Covid patients a little weird. Say I went in for a knee replacement. I get tested and it is determined I have Covid. That confirm case is attributed to being hospitalized since the hospital was the place it was determined I had the virus.

No to mention if there is a 70 year old man who has a heart attack, but is also positive for COVID, the cause of death is listed as COVID.

54 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

No to mention if there is a 70 year old man who has a heart attack, but is also positive for COVID, the cause of death is listed as COVID.

That’s a bit of a misconception. There is the “immediate cause of death” as well as up to three “underlying causes of death”. COVID would be an underlying cause in that case.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

55 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Thanks for mentioning it. I would like to add that the  CDC has said no tests were needed to determine if the person died of COVID or from something else. It is important to mention that because Medicare reimburses hospitals and nursing homes at 20 percent higher. So hospitals and nursing homes have no reason to look to see if something else caused the death. And remember, a vast majority of people dying are over 75 and/or have other pre existing conditions.

4 minutes ago, Ynot02 said:

That’s a bit of a misconception. There is the “immediate cause of death” as well as up to three “underlying causes of death”. COVID would be an underlying cause in that case.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

It's what the doctor puts on the first line of the death certificate. A patient may die from a heart attack but if he/she had COVID the doctor can put COVID first, heart attack 2nd and maybe hypertension 3rd. By doing this, his/her hospital gets reimbursed 20 percent more.

And one more point. NY, NJ, PA and now MI had over a third of their deaths coming from nursing homes. If these patients weren't put these situations (and sorry Governors Cuomo and Wolf CDC guidelines were specific on what to do with nursing home patients who tested positive for COVID). Maybe if followed 25 - 20 percent of deaths nationwide could have been prevented.

4 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

Thanks for mentioning it. I would like to add that the  CDC has said no tests were needed to determine if the person died of COVID or from something else. It is important to mention that because Medicare reimburses hospitals and nursing homes at 20 percent higher. So hospitals and nursing homes have no reason to look to see if something else caused the death. And remember, a vast majority of people dying are over 75 and/or have other pre existing conditions.

100% correct!  Sorry Ynot, but you and I will have to agree to disagree.  My niece who is a respiratory therapist, my daughter who is a nurse and my own experience (sorry but I am not going to say what I do) all know this to be true.  It is all about the $$$$.  My dad is in his late 80's and has fibrosis and is on oxygen.  His Dr told him with his health problems if he kicks the bucket, even if he don't have COVID, don't be shocked if they find a way to make it a COVID death anyway.  Its all about the money now.

6 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

The only problem with this, covid as much as I think it’s blown out like crazy from media and politicians, does cause blood problems. My 55 year old cousin died of a stroke in March. Tested positive for covid while in the hospital. She was healthy with no issues. While 99% of us are safe there is some weird stuff with the virus.