Michigan Return to the Rink Guidelines

So, this is from the MAHA website. In this document they list three scenarios of modified play, to be used in various conditions up to fully open. Note that they are planning to limit teams to ten skaters, one goalie, and one coach AT ALL LEVELS. One referee at a game. Even at 18U.

Hell, there's even a theoretical scenario in there where the state allows splitting the ice and 25 people per half, in which games up to and including 18U would be played 4x4, cross ice. (Which is fun sometimes for a holiday practice at that level, but for league play?)

I'd heard that Michigan might not be allowing out of state teams to travel there for tournaments and/or games. I didn't find that specific restriction in this document, but as a friend pointed out, who would want to go there to play by those rules anyway?

I figured some conversation on this topic might prepare us all for what might be coming.

Strange days, indeed.

Edited by Lifelongbender
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

So, this is from the MAHA website. In this document they list three scenarios of modified play, to be used in various conditions up to fully open. Note that they are planning to limit teams to ten skaters, one goalie, and one coach AT ALL LEVELS. One referee at a game. Even at 18U.

Easier access to the link:

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/844b-2168647/MAHA_Return_to_the_Game_2020-21_-_V3.pdf#_ga=2.28090490.732783428.1592404452-1746626322.1592404452

30 minutes ago, Saucey said:

That maybe explains why I saw kids in Michigan team gear coming out of Lemiuex last night. Is anyone hearing anything from Mid Am on playing guidelines?

I looked around briefly yesterday and didn't find any, no. I'd be most interested in hearing about them.

These guidelines could completely kill youth hockey in Michigan, at least for the time they're in place.

I'm actually excited to see this. Can't wait until the first player gets a 2 and 10. Then watch 9 skaters go out at for the misconduct. I also want to see what happens if a player gets injured. Does someone run down from the stands. Maybe each organization can fathom something like the NHL has for a 2rd goalie. For every home game, they must have a designated sub in case of injury or misconduct. The U 18 and 16 levels will also be fun to watch with one ref. He/she easily can watch for penalties and off sides and pucks crossing the goal line all at once. I wouldn't play. Wonder if she is going to limit HS marching bands?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Denis Lemiuex said:

I'm actually excited to see this. Can't wait until the first player gets a 2 and 10. Then watch 9 skaters go out at for the misconduct. I also want to see what happens if a player gets injured. Does someone run down from the stands. Maybe each organization can fathom something like the NHL has for a 2rd goalie. For every home game, they must have a designated sub in case of injury or misconduct. The U 18 and 16 levels will also be fun to watch with one ref. He/she easily can watch for penalties and off sides and pucks crossing the goal line all at once. I wouldn't play. Wonder if she is going to limit HS marching bands?

@Denis Lemiuex, you couldn't be more right. The number of bizarre scenarios that can be generated from this document is breathtaking, and fun.

For instance, what's not mentioned in it at all is that, under scenario 2, where they permit 25 people per half ice, there's only one bench in a half sheet of ice. Only one team in a cross ice game can put their players somewhere off-ice. How is that going to work at ANY level, much less U16 and U18? How do you manage penalties in such a stupid situation? One team won't even have a bench for their players to serve a penalty on.

Surreal.

None of these rules make any sense. 

How many Michigan players and parents will make the choice go play in Chicago this season because of these stupid regulations? I'd be willing to be A LOT of U14-U18 AAA kids and parents are willing to make the drive. Especially if they are on the west side of the state. 

I'm actually thinking that scene from Mystery Alaska will be recreated. Once a shift is done. They skate off the ice and to the locker room and are replaced on the bench by 5 new fresh guys. I wonder if the governor is going to do the same with HS football. Only allow 22 players per team, 1 coach and 1 ref. How about the marching band? I've seen bands with 100+ members. 6ft social distancing That's 600 sq yards need to be available. Feel sorry for the schools than now have to get 5 or 6 buses instead of 2, You know. Social distancing. It really has gotten out of hand. It's either safe or not. Limiting people won't change a thing.

• Like 2