Midget Tier 1 Tryouts

5 hours ago, Danner27 said:

How did 16U turn out in WPA ? I Was told 18U is likely the way it has been. Esmark, then ppe with Gary’s Kids (predators)  pulling up the rear far behind. Are the icemen still a thing at midget ? 

Well Icemen 16u is playing NAPHL AA, not AAA, so would you call that tier 1 still?! Flying to Texas and Minnesota for AA?

3 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

It's 18U Prep at PPE. Please make sure to use the correct terminology, lest you should offend David.

Ha! David can put whatever tag he wants in the name, at the end of the year they are still playing esmark, culver, Columbus & Cleveland for districts! 

1 hour ago, hockey2020 said:

so jealous. again ....wow

Jealous & again ? You have me confused with someone else ? My kid played two years PPE - the years that matter. All I did was point out David M can call the team whatever he likes, he will still have to play the same team in districts. What part of that sounds like jealousy ? 

5 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Dear God, what's next? Yuri taking his teams to Russia every year? Oh, wait.......

highly doubt the Russians will be able to come this year to his teams though due to the borders not being open

2 hours ago, hockey2020 said:

so jealous. again ....wow

Another fan boy. Which image would be best. Let's try this one.

Below is a clock that will count down the days until your little superstar loses his precious spot to a kid from out of town whose family will pony up the $$$$$ for Excel Academy, North Catholic, billet costs and whatever else they can bleed the family for. So enjoy your 3 years there and maybe you can sell all that swag you bought for you and the Mrs. on let go.

793036738_Dayclock.jpeg.a18195d6401818a720fd82c752886409.jpeg

10 hours ago, Hky05 said:

highly doubt the Russians will be able to come this year to his teams though due to the borders not being open

They come on education visas.  If covid calms down in time they will but the way covid is going it does not look good. 

10 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Another fan boy. Which image would be best. Let's try this one.

Below is a clock that will count down the days until your little superstar loses his precious spot to a kid from out of town whose family will pony up the $$$$$ for Excel Academy, North Catholic, billet costs and whatever else they can bleed the family for. So enjoy your 3 years there and maybe you can sell all that swag you bought for you and the Mrs. on let go.

793036738_Dayclock.jpeg.a18195d6401818a720fd82c752886409.jpeg

?

18 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

This exact thing happened to our daughter who played for PPE.  She was on the first PPE team ever that played in a USA hockey National final.  During tryouts 2 weeks later, multiple girls from Columbus blue jackets show up and my daughter (a local player) gets cut (along with others of course). 

I've never bought into the "growing hockey in Western PA" stuff that the PPE spout.  That's a bunch of garbage.  More than half of her team that year lived far away from Pittsburgh.  Only about 6-7 girls were in the tri-state area.  The other 13-14 were out of the area.  They'll drop a local kid quicker than a snap to pickup someone better out of town.

Edited by Scooby Doo

7 minutes ago, Scooby Doo said:

This exact thing happened to our daughter who played for PPE.  She was on the first PPE team ever that played in a USA hockey National final.  During tryouts 2 weeks later, multiple girls from Columbus blue jackets show up and my daughter (a local player) gets cut (along with others of course). 

I've never bought into the "growing hockey in Western PA" stuff that the PPE spout.  That's a bunch of garbage.  More than half of her team that year lived far away from Pittsburgh.  Only about 6-7 girls were in the tri-state area.  The other 13-14 were out of the area.  They'll drop a local kid quicker than a snap to pickup someone better out of town.

You will find this interesting. They just cut a pretty skilled 02 who was drafted by the ncdc for a 03 who has been going to excel the past 2 years. It makes zero sense from a hockey perspective when you compare the pedigree and skill of these two players. Word is the 03s father also made a nice donation to the penguins foundation, along with his excel contributions over the years. The 02 never went to excel.

PPE is not about growing the game. They are a tax shelter using youth hockey to pay for the pro teams practice facility and of course every couple of birth years an employee kid needs pushed.   

6 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

You will find this interesting. They just cut a pretty skilled 02 who was drafted by the ncdc for a 03 who has been going to excel the past 2 years. It makes zero sense from a hockey perspective when you compare the pedigree and skill of these two players. Word is the 03s father also made a nice donation to the penguins foundation, along with his excel contributions over the years. The 02 never went to excel.

PPE is not about growing the game. They are a tax shelter using youth hockey to pay for the pro teams practice facility and of course every couple of birth years an employee kid needs pushed.   

Sounds believable

14 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Not a surprise at all...

49 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

I'm sure they do. But their issues probably come with a lower cost and less stress. I don't know that fir certain, just conjecture. 

No team is perfect that’s for sure but some are far worse than others.   Thank goodness there aren’t many of those.  And thank goodness I’m done with those sorts of things- mainly the tryouts...  Way too much stress for anyone.  I sometimes believe the old days rules where you were geographically tied to teams was probably far less stressful on us the parents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nemesis8679 said:

I'm sure they do. But their issues probably come with a lower cost and less stress. I don't know that fir certain, just conjecture. 

Well if you go by hockey cost alone, esmark is more than ppe with travel, but if you factor in excel it changes things a lot. Excel was not “mandatory” when my oldest was there. Stress for the parents is higher at PPE but stress for the players is much higher at esmark. These are my personal experiences. 

12 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Well if you go by hockey cost alone, esmark is more than ppe with travel, but if you factor in excel it changes things a lot. Excel was not “mandatory” when my oldest was there. Stress for the parents is higher at PPE but stress for the players is much higher at esmark. These are my personal experiences. 

If you don't mind me asking, in what ways? My kids' too young to worry about it now, but having some knowledge for the future is always appreciated. 

16 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

I sometimes believe the old days rules where you were geographically tied to teams was probably far less stressful on us the parents.

While I tend to agree with that statement I will mention this little story you may find interesting/assuming. My lifelong friend lives in Minnesota with his wife and 3 boys (13,10, 8). As I am sure you are aware, MN divides their associations into districts based on where you live and your kids can ONLY play for those teams within your district. The high school teams use the local associations as feeder leagues for their JV and Varsity teams. My friends 13 year old was approached by the head coach of a high school with a VERY good hockey program in the Minneapolis area. Only problem was that they lived about an hour and half away in a completely different part of the state. After several talks with the coaches and some handshake deals, he decided to move into an area completely out of his budget and go from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apartment, and commute to work the almost two hours each way so his kid could play for this schools varsity team. Stupid? Kind of. Stressful? Hell yes. Worth it? I guess time will tell.

I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but I always get a kick out of things like this. 

24 minutes ago, forbin said:

While I tend to agree with that statement I will mention this little story you may find interesting/assuming. My lifelong friend lives in Minnesota with his wife and 3 boys (13,10, 8). As I am sure you are aware, MN divides their associations into districts based on where you live and your kids can ONLY play for those teams within your district. The high school teams use the local associations as feeder leagues for their JV and Varsity teams. My friends 13 year old was approached by the head coach of a high school with a VERY good hockey program in the Minneapolis area. Only problem was that they lived about an hour and half away in a completely different part of the state. After several talks with the coaches and some handshake deals, he decided to move into an area completely out of his budget and go from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apartment, and commute to work the almost two hours each way so his kid could play for this schools varsity team. Stupid? Kind of. Stressful? Hell yes. Worth it? I guess time will tell.

I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but I always get a kick out of things like this. 

Sorry to say, that seems downright retarded to do.